Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker
Re: Wave 8 - Shaving costs for saving cash

In opening the newest expansions (and the wave 7's), I'll admit I'm somewhat disappointed with the lack of any land tiles. Especially with the Wave 8 heroes packs, where there is Ample room for at least 6 hexes in each - more if packed wisely.

But really, in the end, the land was really just a bonus. I buy the packs for the figures, not the land. It does sorta suck to lose the bonus, but oh well. It's not going to end my addiction.

Regarding the cards - they've certainly gone down in quality. I'm holding my brand new cards from the Aquilla's Alliance pack that I just opened, and they really look cheap. It's not the card thickness that bothers me, but the edges of the cards are really awful. Fuzzy, almost. As if the die they were cut with had a dull blade. Very disappointing. Maybe I just happened to get a bum set, or a late production run, but the difference in quality is very noticeable.

The cards don't matter nearly as much as the figures, and the figures in AA are just absolutely gorgeous. Any complaints that I may have about the cards flutter into the wind when I gaze upon these new sculpts. I am really impressed. The pictures of them just don't do them justice.

I have noticed in many of the packs I've bought recently, that certain body parts aren't glued in - such as Concan's Wings and Sujoah's Wings. A little superglue can fix this, so it's not a big deal for me, but I wonder if others get frustrated with it.

At the end of the day, I'm just glad to get my plasti-fix, and will likely continue to be a customer for a long time to come. There may be a point at which the quality slips beyond my tolerance levels, but I see no evidence of that with this wave. I may simply say "Aw shucks, look at that", but I'll probably still continue to buy.

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Topher is surprisingly tart

I made a whole topic all about this because I thought I was the first to notice, silly me. Anyway, I won't repost what I said there because it's all been put to words here by others but I will mention that I think the paint jobs have gotten glossier for Wave 8.

In fact all of wave 8 seems to have taken a step towards the D&D mini's line; which, have a similar glossy paint job and are made from a similar "rubber" material.

I understand the cost-cutting reason as an explanation for the material but how is the change in paint explained?
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

My sense is that as long as the components stay reasonably durable (I haven't seen Wave 8 in my hands yet, but nothing I've seen so far makes me feel like the game has crossed a line), I'm glad they are keeping the game affordable for kids and families, not just collectors. I like being able to pick up most boosters for $10--I think it is a wise financial place for the game.

As for cards, etc., I use card holders (as many others do), so I'm not too stressed by those getting thinner.

It's sad that we can't still have the bonuses we all enjoyed in RotV, but I am glad that game is still something that my wife feels we can afford, if you know what I mean...

Just my 2 cents.
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM

TOG knows what's in an order marker TOG knows what's in an order marker

I'm completely satisfied with the stuff I picked up today,

Definitely, the jungle box has to be the most tightly packed box in the history of Heroscape. I expect a 'How to unpack your trees and bushes' thread from Bistro at any moment.

I was a little disappointed in the fact that another typo has made it to the printers, and it wasn't as minor as a general's emblem.
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

You mean the Chardris errors? Or is there something else I haven't heard about?
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM

TOG knows what's in an order marker TOG knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
You mean the Chardris errors? Or is there something else I haven't heard about?

That is correct, the Chardris error. At least that is the only one I have noticed so far.
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Windy_City_Hawk has disabled reputation

This was probably discussed also, but I feel more dupped by the lack of double-space tiles that used to come with the small expansions! When did they start doing this?

As for the rest of it I cannot tell as I have not taken then out of the packaging. But just from looking the paint jobs aren't the greatest (I'm used to that), but I'm happy.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:13 PM

dragon has disabled reputation

Yeah, I feel I need to add my 2 cents to this, having gotten to look over all of wave eight today, and I think the figures have definitely gotten a bit "rubbery" and strike me as being much more like D&D minis as topher has already stated. I personally would rather pay more for a quality figure than save money on a cost cutting figure. I think we should take a poll on this, as I'd be interested to see how other scapers feel. Overall, I'm disappointed. Not necessarily complaining, just feeling a bit let down. Cost cutting is a bad thing. When does it end? If the cards get any thinner and the figures any more rubbery I just might move on to a new hobby. Sorry WotC.
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Cost cutting is a bad thing. When does it end?
It ends when the people who produce the product can no longer afford to manufacture, package, and sell it for the prices which we, the consumers, are willing to pay for it. (BAD THING)

Cost cutting, therefore, is a GOOD thing.

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

So... umm... what's worse about these than Wave 7, or Wave 6 for that matter? Material is the same, paint is the same, everything is exactly the same. Everything is the same since they switched to the new molds. I really don't see what the fuss is, particularly since these same things were considered a "huge upgrade" when Wave 6 came out.
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM

jsilvrs is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Cost cutting is a bad thing. When does it end?
It ends when the people who produce the product can no longer afford to manufacture, package, and sell it for the prices which we, the consumers, are willing to pay for it. (BAD THING)

Cost cutting, therefore, is a GOOD thing.
If cutting cost is what it takes for Heroscape to remain viable in the market place, then so be it. Whatever it takes to keep my addiction feed. I have not seen wave 8 in person, but was more then pleased with 7.

Great Traders: Huggable Zombie
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I ended up cutting out some of the small brush from the jungle packs because they were so encased in plastic. It seems like the extra cost from the excessive packaging and the labor to scotch tape everything in place would have been about the same as including some extra terrain!

Nevertheless, I am more than satisfied with my purchases. The jungle terrain is really nice, the card stock seems the same as it's been since wave 2 to me.

My only real complaint is that they are now putting the clear plastic sleeve that holds the cards for the small expansions up-side-down; that is the opening of the plastic is now at the bottom of the box, which takes longer to open and get out. I first noticed this on a set on Templars and thought it was a fluke, but I guess this is the new packaging method. For the first time ever I bent a card taking it out of the box.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion