Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Wheelockian is surprisingly tart
D&D Power Creep

After some initial resistance, the completest bug in me won over, and I ended up buying the D&D booster expansions. The sculpts don't match up to classic 'Scape, though I'd describe them more as uneven rather than uniformly bad. (The paint jobs, though, are pretty across-the-board lame compared to classic.)

Aesthetics aside, I have to admit that I've had a lot of fun playing the new units, much more than I thought I would. However, quite a few of these D&D units seem to be a bit more powerful than what you find in classic 'Scape, specifically in terms of point values. D3 seems the worst. Death Chasers of Thesk (Orcs), for example: bonding, battle rush, and four attack dice. Great! But only 55 points?

I'm wondering if I just haven't played these units enough yet. I've also been just playing these units against other D&D units, not mixing classic and D&D so I don't have a real basis for comparison. Maybe they just seem more overpowered on paper.

Those of you with more experience--I'd be interested to know if you noticed any "power creep" slipping into the game when things switched over to D&D. Heroscape has always impressed me with its balance, but I'm wondering if the designers, with the end of the game approaching, or perhaps in an effort to woo the D&D RPG crowd, got carried away...

Cheers!
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!
Re: D&D Power Creep

I have used the DnD units a lot, and they are not more powerful, IMO, than classic units of B grade or higher. In fact, some of the heroes are tricky to use well, and classic squads like the Krav and 10th still rule the battlefield.

Old January 9th, 2011, 10:17 PM

ROADRAGE is surprisingly tart

I don't think there is any power creep as someone who has everything ever made in the game and playing for the last four years these new units are quite good like the bugbears and phantom knights (a couple of my favourites), but just put them up against some minions or trons and they are in trouble.

Unfortunately the designers of the game probaly didn't know the plug was about to be pulled at the end which would explain the measely four cards for valkrill.
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I haven't observed any power creep.

Amazing, really, that there hasn't been. I've argued elsewhere that the newer units from D1 - D3 are competitive and interesting and I stand by that remark.

But compare Rise of the Valkyrie & the units from that magic box: Airborne Elite, Raelin, Grimnak, Krav Maga Agents, Marro Warriors and Sgt. Drake all continue to have tournament relevance even today, and the others - Finn, Mimring, Carr - are borderline candidates who make frequent appearances in our casual games.

Power creep? No, I don't think so. The Dx units have been relevant, interesting, and balanced.

I have *aesthetic* issues with some of them, but that's not what you asked.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM

Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death!

There are some very strong figures in the DnD sets. Fen Hydra, Iron Golem, and the Wyrmlings are all very powerful.

There are also some duds.
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

I've played with the figures from the D&D waves, and I haven't really noticed a power creep... everything seems pretty balanced, a few powerful, but nothing to either extreme.
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Each wave has it highs and lows. Overall they even out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Fooflesnort View Post
New grades, new power creep graph.

117-87-0 (4/13/09-2/22/15)
32-16-0 (10/17/09-7/21/12)
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Among the D&D waves, I think that the Fen Hydra, Greenscales, HSB's, Death Chasers, Eltahale, Mogrim and Darrak,... are competitive, but they aren't A+ figures. Counterdraft opportunities have increased but there hasn't been power creep.
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM
One time at band camp...

Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
I've played with the figures from the D&D waves, and I haven't really noticed a power creep... everything seems pretty balanced, a few powerful, but nothing to either extreme.
Fen Hydra can certainly tell that the Deathchasers aren't overpowered! I beat him at a recent tournament.

(Though my team still did horrible, and we got extremely lucky, especially with killing Nerak in one hit. )
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:30 AM

blooded scion is surprisingly tart

I wish there was a little power creep so new players can stand up to some of the other classic armies.It's like magic with the moxes and lotus if your opponents owns them and you do not because you just started playing you are at a disadvantage because nothing produced after has been as good or better.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I feel like the Fen Hydra and the Greenscales are very strong. Those two units are the only ones that felt a bit "power creepy" to me since Q9 and Deathreavers. However, I feel that both have their counters (as do the Soulborgs) and both can be defeated, but they are strong for their points.

All of the other D&D units feel about right for their point cost, except maybe the Sahuagin Raider. I don't like paying 25 Points for him.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooded scion View Post
I wish there was a little power creep so new players can stand up to some of the other classic armies.It's like magic with the moxes and lotus if your opponents owns them and you do not because you just started playing you are at a disadvantage because nothing produced after has been as good or better.
There's no such disadvantage. Most powerful figures that were released long ago are still widely available. You can get Raelin and most of the other top figures from RotV here for about $10, shipping included.

There are definitely some figures that are hard to find and are very competitive. Q9/Nilfheim are expensive now. Gladiatrons and Heavy Gruts, for sure. Knights and 4th were released more recently, but they are getting hard to find for cheap.

Still, among the top-ranked stuff, most of it is either available now or has been available recently at very near retail price.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion