Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old April 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM

jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby!
WotC and Marketing

I'm not sure if there is already another post like this(I can't find one though) But here it goes.

I'm curious to see how satisfied people are with WotC job in marketing heroscape. Personally I never see comercials, ads, or anything of the sort anywhere but here or on the actual WotC website. When was the last time you have seen a heroscape commercial on TV? Unless I just have all the wrong channels on at the wrong moments, WotC hasn't exactly done the best advertising job, and I think that it is time for them to. Its been like 4 or 5 years since the actual release of heroscape, at this point there is a whole new age group who have reached the acceptable age to play that are completely unaware of this game. How are you supposed to sell when your only customers are the devoted followers from the start. I have talked to many friends I know who are into gaming, and I think the only one I ever have seen recognize it was my second cousin and that was 2 years ago. Don't you think its time to put back in the effort, and rebirth interest in the game of Heroscape. Forgive me if I speak lies, and by all means correct me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Edit: I would also like to point out the games limited availibility, I havent seen a Walmart, Fred Meyer, or Toys 'R' Us in about 2 years that still sells heroscape, or if they do sell it, bother to keep there shelves stocked. Heroscape has lost the attention of newcomers and is turning into a game for the old fans, it needs to get back out there

Last edited by jwindjackal; April 12th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:31 PM

falls78 is surprisingly tart
Re: WotC and Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindjackal View Post
I'm not sure if there is already another post like this(I can't find one though) But here it goes.

I'm curious to see how satisfied people are with WotC job in marketing heroscape. Personally I never see comercials, ads, or anything of the sort anywhere but here or on the actual WotC website. When was the last time you have seen a heroscape commercial on TV? Unless I just have all the wrong channels on at the wrong moments, WotC hasn't exactly done the best advertising job, and I think that it is time for them to. Its been like 4 or 5 years since the actual release of heroscape, at this point there is a whole new age group who have reached the acceptable age to play that are completely unaware of this game. How are you supposed to sell when your only customers are the devoted followers from the start. I have talked to many friends I know who are into gaming, and I think the only one I ever have seen recognize it was my second cousin and that was 2 years ago. Don't you think its time to put back in the effort, and rebirth interest in the game of Heroscape. Forgive me if I speak lies, and by all means correct me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
When is the last time you saw any commercials on T.V. for any table top game. Seriously, their are none. About the only games I see advertised are like Milton Bradly family nights games. Heroscape is a completely different market.

Perhaps consider that the guys at WotC know more about marketing their own product than you do. As you said this game has been around a while, a lot longer than many minis games. It has a huge following and is very successful. The recent D&D infusion has been really successful and was a great marketing scheme, I applaud the men and women behind it.

Just because something isn't on T.V. doesn't mean it's being marketed poorly, their is countless ways to do marketing and most of it is NOT broad casted advertising. Seriously, take a marketing course and learn something about it before you critique those who do it for a living.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I've never seen a commercial for Magic: The Gathering. Seems to be doing fine to me.

(Then again, I haven't had TV since 2004 so correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM

jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby!

Please forgive me, my goal is not by any means to criticize there marketing skills. I guess Im just frustrated because heroscape commercials used to be on tv, you used to be able to talk about it to people and they'd be all yeah i heard of that game afore. I just feel that the game was more well known then than it is now and I really want to seee it brought to everyone's attention again. Apologies for any offensive things i have said. I mean well I just feel that the marketing strategies used, work better at targeting existing gamers than newly becoming ones. (which by the way heroscape is a great game for newly interested gamers, it is easier to learn than some of the others, but still makes for one of the best mini games ever.)
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I wasn't offended by anything you said, since I don't work on WotC's marketing team.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I wasn't offended by anything you said, since I don't work on WotC's marketing team.
Gotcha!
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM

falls78 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
Gotcha!
I am also not offended, I just completely disagree that Heroscape would be effectively marketed on television.

Peanut butter, Toilet Paper and Shamwows belong on TV not miniatures games like HS.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I don't expect any tv ads as those are pretty expensive and Heroscape has more of a targeted market then a game like Monopoly would. However, it would be nice to see a some cheaper marketing like posters up at gaming stores or even just cross marketing by including heroscape fliers included with other WOTC/Hasbro games of a similar nature (maybe they do this already and I just have not seen it). Or even a web based marketing campaign targeted at websites that would cater to the target (grown up, not kid) market. Now that Heroscape is not sitting on too many store shelves, they need to get some kind of exposure to attract new players if they want to see sales increase.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falls78 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Gotcha!
I am also not offended, I just completely disagree that Heroscape would be effectively marketed on television.

Peanut butter, Toilet Paper and Shamwows belong on TV not miniatures games like HS.
I agree that telivision may not be the best option, but i remember when heroscape started getting pulled from the shelves of retailers and thinking the game was dead. (Whata pleasant suprise when i found this site) I just really love the game and want it to reach out to the new kids who are able to play so that the legacy doesnt die out. This game has a great concept. I just want to see it back on the shelves again, and to be back on the shelves again people have to want to buy it, to want to buy it they have to know about it, to know about it it has to reach there ear, and I though mediums like the TV would work well
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I've never seen a commercial for Magic: The Gathering. Seems to be doing fine to me.

(Then again, I haven't had TV since 2004 so correct me if I'm wrong.)
I'm pretty sure I saw a M:TG commercial when I was at the movie theater once.

I chuckled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Target and Toys R Us made the decision to drop the line, not WotC. Wal-Mart's distibution model sucks (as has been noted and discussed elsewhere), this is not WotC's fault.

As to marketing, I haven't seen a comercial for a game (any game) in ages. Mo Monoply, no Risk, no Don't Wake Daddy. I remember them in years past, but nothing in recent memory (I never saw a 'Scape commercial, either).
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Word of mouth is ten times better than a commercial.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion