Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:32 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Base a Competitive Army Around: Jotun

Round VI of
Base a Competitive Army Around Competition:

Jotun

Battle for the Best Pants

Round Six brings us to Raknar's Vision, the expansion that brought us many of Heroscape’s most successful units. Nilfheim, Braxas, Q9- all are respected and revered in the Scaping halls. Among these great names one stands out. Jotun, the highest cost in the game. While all agree that the giant cannot be beat in entertainment value, he has little synergy to brag about. Scapers, can you fit this one man show into a winning team? That is our challenge today.

You are free make the army with whatever units you want, as long as you do not exceed 500 points. Obviously, Jotun must be used in your army. Remember to explain why you made the choices you did.

With that being said,

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM

paintu2 has disabled reputation
I'm kind of new at this army making thing put i'll give it a shot how about

x4 Dumutef
x1 Raelin
x1 Kelda
x1 Jotun

Raelin helps every one defense makeing everyone harder to take down.
Jotun is the main force of the army takeing out the major part of the opponets army. If any one take a hit Kelda there to heal them up. The Dumtef are there just for numbers and their balanced.

So what do you think !?!
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
okay, but why use dumatef when you could use 2 squads of ashra?

raelin
jotun
finn
thorgrim
eldgrim

send in the viking bros to cause some damage first. once a fair amount of enemy figures are taken out, put the spirits on jotun and send out raelin and jotun to clean up.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
scorpiusx

WARNING:

Beware of this button:

There are unconfirmed reports that actually using this key appropriately when typing could lead to letters being properly capitalized.

Some side effects to be wary of include: Making your readers believe you can write intelligently and making old crusty frackers like me stop hassling you.

Back to the thread...

I love me some Jotun. There's nothing quite like throwing your opponent around on the Heroscape board.

Jotun 225
Raelin 80
Deathreavers (x3) 120
James Murphy 75
Build Total = 500

Jotun is there because: He is Jotun, a Huge Height 10 of Heroscape badness.

Raelin boosts his defense to make him all the more indomitable. Defense 4 might be nice for some attacks, but you never know when you may need two more defense dice to help you shrug off some pesky attacks from puny people.

Deathreavers rush out into the fray to tie units up, grab glyphs and cause their usual mayhem.

James Murphy is there because when it comes to 75 points, there's simply no better way to spend them. The Shotgun Blast Special Attack is one of my all time favorites. Johnny Shotgun and James Murphy are gods among men in this game.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdoc

Jotun 225
Raelin 80
Deathreavers (x3) 120
James Murphy 75
Build Total = 500
I ran Jotun, Raelin, Murphy and 3 Venocs in a game and it was awesome. Raelin of course is going to help all units you control, but when that extra defense is on Jotun oof. It's helps oh so much to keep him around that much longer.
I like the idea of Reavers in the mix though. Their hefty defense allows them to risk getting hit with Wild Swing.

There's so many units I'd like to try with Jotun: Kelda, Saylind, Blades Gruts with Tornak, AE!

I'd like to try:
Raelin...............80
Jotun................225
Monks x2..........160
McCreech..........30

Jotun's obviously drafted if there are groups or clumps of figures. but I've seen him get tied down in a cluster he can't Wild Swing on and stay there until he dies.
Monks could conceivably Leap in and do their Shaolin Assault on multiple targets. Unless Cyber Clawed, they're not committed to engagement either. Raelin boosts everyone and McCreech shoots from afar.

Or
Jotun.......................225
Marrden Houndsx2....180
Marro Warriors...........50
McCreech..................30

Marrdens either go first and thin out the crowd with plague or they go in when Jotun's engaged with multiple figures (making sure they're not plaguing the giant!). If they're moving 8 spaces, they can get to Jotun's predictament and start plaguing the foes.
Marro Warriors and McCreech stay back and shoot from afar.
Jotun in turn can assist if Reavers are present and tie up Marrdens by possibly throwing them or by his special attack.
I like this army, but I want Raelin. But with the majority of this army being 2-space figures, it might be difficult to reach certain figures, so hopefully range can get them.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM

paintu2 has disabled reputation
Was the caps thing me again if it was if sorry and could you please tell me what im doing wrong. On the another note the the ashra is a awsome idea thanks i going to replace Dumutef's with them that makes it som much better.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I think that he was pertaining to me. btw, you're welcome.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintu2
Was the caps thing me again if it was if sorry and could you please tell me what im doing wrong. On the another note the the ashra is a awsome idea thanks i going to replace Dumutef's with them that makes it som much better.
No, it was scorpiusx, speed king.

If I'm going for fun, I like Jotun to take his pet muts out for a walk:

Jotun 225
DeathStalkers (x2) 200
Dumutef Guard 25
Marro Warriors 50

Jotun (obviously)
DeathStalkers are Jotun's puppies
Dumtef Guard is the filler
The Marro Warriors are there to provide ranged cover fire and I like these guys because they practice asexual reproduction right during the heat of battle! No shame in their game!

This is not the army I would take for a competitive game, but I do like having the giant walking around with his pets.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM

philowar is surprisingly tart
495 points
------------
Jotun
Warriors of Ashra x2
Aubrien Archers x2
Eldgrim

The warriors of Ashra can't be beat for tying up enemy melee figures for cheap, be it Krug, Romans, samurai, knights, or anything else.

The Aubrien Archers give you ranged support, which you need in any well-balanced army.

Eldgrim? Rush that 30 point munchkin out first thing, overextending and doing whatever puny damage you can, hopefully reaching an enemy ranged figure. Within a couple turns he should be dead. Place him on Jotun. With seven move you should be clearing the board in no time. Just make sure the Warriors of Ashra are supporting him so that he doesn't get completely overwhelmed by a melee swarm if your opponent has fielded a lot of footmen.

What's more is that the entire army fits into a cohesive fantasy theme, if that's your cup of tea.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar
495 points
------------
Jotun
Warriors of Ashra x2
Aubrien Archers x2
Eldgrim
That's what I like about these threads. There are always units I forget about! The Warriors of Ashra are a great choice.
I was trying to think of other Ullar to use. I'd rather take Ashra over Venocs. I'd definitely try your line-up.
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Go for the gusto:

Jotun
Braxas
Shotgun Sullivan

Only three cards for order markers, all three can be effective squad killers. Braxas and Jotun are both effective high-defense killers. No way to take glyphs, but plenty of ways of denying them to your opponent. Low defense is a serious weakness, but there is a lot of life here to help cover it.

~Aldin, who thinks this army could surprise some people

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar
495 points
------------
Jotun
Warriors of Ashra x2
Aubrien Archers x2
Eldgrim

I like this army. I think it would probably be the most fun army here to play. But, I think it could face some problems if it was put up against deathreaver/powerful ranged squad combo. Take for example an army of Deathreavers and Omnicrons. None of your units would be move with 4 squads of Deathreavers clogging up the board. Your 7 movement wouldn't do you any good; you would be stuck among a swarm as the omnicrons fired hell upon your troops.

Otherwise, I think it is good!

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion