Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old May 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness
505 Point Competitive Armies

I've read a number of Heroscapers metagame summaries lately, where 505 point tournament winning armies were mentioned.

By contrast, my searches for threads devoted to 505 point competitive armies didn't turn up anything, so I figured I'd start this one up.

Without further ado:

Nilfheim - 185
Sir Dupuis - 150
Knights of Weston x2 - 140
Eldgrim - 30
---------------------------
505 points

On a small map, I witnessed this army steamroll an army consisting of Glads x1, Blasts x1, Krav, Major Q10, and Laglor.

In this army, Nilfheim can either operate behind a screen of Knights or the Knights can charge forward with Eldgrim leading the way and establishing early engagement. Sir Dupuis is an outstanding assassin (and a good target for Eldgrim's spirit) when he charges past units (Tactical Disengagement 7) to deliver 7A attacks, boosted +3A by Knight's Courage.

I don't imagine that the above army is as powerful as other KoW and Nilfheim builds (i.e. KoW x3, Sir Gilbert, and Nilfheim = 500 points), but it is a fun alternative if you'd like to field Sir Dupuis or if you lack certain figures (i.e. the 3rd set of KoW and Gilbert in my case).
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Oestedb is surprisingly tart
Re: 505 Point Competitive Armies

I actually went to a 505 tournament. It was a lot of fun. One of my friends did very well with two squads of rats, four squads of stingers, and Nilf. It is a great army because despite the fact that it doesn't have a lot of synergy, but it still has the best dragon, one of the best cheap common squads, and the best map controlling common squad. As long as order markers are handled well, anyone can win any tournament with that army.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oestedb View Post
I actually went to a 505 tournament. It was a lot of fun. One of my friends did very well with two squads of rats, four squads of stingers, and Nilf. It is a great army because despite the fact that it doesn't have a lot of synergy, but it still has the best dragon, one of the best cheap common squads, and the best map controlling common squad. As long as order markers are handled well, anyone except Nadom can win any tournament with that army.
Fixed.

It's still one of the best armies out there. Jexik added Isamu to it, dubbed it "Vanilla Ice," and won a tourney with it somewhere in the Midwest.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I saw 505 points and the latest post by Nadom and knew what his would be about.

Ice, Ice, Baby! But it was a 520 point tournament, and I used Isamu as mentioned by Nadom. And only 12 people showed up. But [5] a win's a win, right? Right?

I also really like 4x Stingers, Raelin, and Zelrig for 505. I almost won a 510 point tourney with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; May 19th, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Yeah, I saw 505 points and the latest post by Nadom and knew what his would be about.

Ice, Ice, Baby! But it was a 520 point tournament, and I used Isamu as mentioned by Nadom. And only 12 people showed up. But [5] a win's a win, right? Right?

I also really like 4x Stingers, Raelin, and Zelrig for 505. I almost won a 510 point tourney with that.
It's worth noting that my original idea was to bring 2x Stingers and Kaemon; 4x Stingers was actually Jexik's idea (credit where credit is due and such ). I like switching Rats for Raelin and Zelrig for Nilfheim, but that would play so vastly different from the original army that I'd have to try it. I tend to stay away from the Big Z, but he and the Stingers seem to complement each other very nicely.
Just to throw it out there, this becomes even more interesing (read as noncompetitive, but crazy amounts of fun) if you tweak it into this:

Stingers x4
Fyorlag Spiders x2
Sujoah

I've played this one and the Stingers have to do a little bit more of the "heavy lifting" against enemy squads, but (much like with Zelrig, but in a different way), they compensate for Sujoah's weaknesses nicely.

Last edited by Nadom; May 20th, 2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: teh --> the
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom View Post
I like switching Rats for Raelin and Zelrig for Nilfheim, but that would play so vastly different from teh original army that I'd have to try it. I tend to stay away from the Big Z, but he and the Stingers seem to complement each other very nicely.
As I mentioned in my battle report, the maps are really what convinced me to change. There were some key areas that did not allow Nilfheim to fit on certain maps. I think that Zelrig works much better with Raelin than with rats. Not necessarily because he'll use her aura the whole game, but because he wants to use the opening order markers most of the time as well, and that conflicts with typical rat usage.

And as you mentioned, Stingers complement him well by doing well against spread out commons and tough uniques. (As do minions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Nilfheim
Q10
Marro Warriors
Rats x3

Krug
Mimring
Arrow Gruts x4
Swog x3

Gilbert
Alastair
Raelin
Knights x3

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:59 AM

Zhoom45 Woo who?

2x 4th Mass
2x KoW
Gilbert
Denrick
Eldgrim
505 total

Zhoom45 is every character in his own little world which no one has heard of, or wants to enter for that matter.
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

80 Deathreavers x2
80 Raelin RotV
225 10h Regiment x3
120 Kaemon Awa
505, 22 hexes
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Venoc Warlord - 120
Armoc Vipers - 185
Zetacron - 245
Mohicans x3 - 455
Brave Arrow - 505

Standard Raelin-less Mohican build with Zetacron for hero killing and Armocs to help out Mittens in the end-game.

Dwarves x3 - 210
Migol - 320
Zelrig / Nilfheim - 505

Standard Dwarf build, either using Zelrig to kill cheap squads or Nilfheim functioning behind a Dwarf screen. I prefer Zelrig here (which might be a first) thanks to the Dwarves Large-Huge killing abilities.

Nilfheim - 185
Raelin SotM - 305
Marro Dividers x4 - 505

Nilfheim functions behind a screen of tough Dividers. Pretty solid I think.

Cyprien - 150
Sonya - 195
Raelin - 275
Repulsors x4 - 435
Zetacron - 495
Isamu - 505

This would probably look much better at 515 with Repulsors x3, Snipers x2 instead of Raelin, Isamu and Zetacron. It could also work with Raelin SotM, dropping a Repulsor squad. Either way, it seems kind of forced at 505. I just thought Cyprien / Sonya was a good "5" unit to pair with Repulsors.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
80 Deathreavers x2
80 Raelin RotV
225 10h Regiment x3
120 Kaemon Awa
505, 22 hexes
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Venoc Warlord - 120
Armoc Vipers - 185
Zetacron - 245
Mohicans x3 - 455
Brave Arrow - 505

Standard Raelin-less Mohican build with Zetacron for hero killing and Armocs to help out Mittens in the end-game.

Dwarves x3 - 210
Migol - 320
Zelrig / Nilfheim - 505

Standard Dwarf build, either using Zelrig to kill cheap squads or Nilfheim functioning behind a Dwarf screen. I prefer Zelrig here (which might be a first) thanks to the Dwarves Large-Huge killing abilities.

Nilfheim - 185
Raelin SotM - 305
Marro Dividers x4 - 505

Nilfheim functions behind a screen of tough Dividers. Pretty solid I think.
Those are some sweet 505 point armies.

Here are a few that I've come up with.

Cyprien - 150
Sonya - 45
Krug - 120
Arrow Gruts x3 - 120
Swog Rider x2 - 50
Marcu - 20
--------------------------
505 Points, 18 Hexes

At least the above army is Utgar-specific.

Cyprien - 150
Sonya - 45
Marro Stingers x5 - 300
Isamu - 10
505 Points, 18 Hexes

Cyprien for non-Soulborg heroes and ranged squads. Stingers for squads and Soulborgs (i.e. Q9). Isamu is an afterthought based on the point total. Utgar-specific. This army would really struggle against a Tron build.

Grimnak - 120
Blade Gruts x3 - 120
Nilfheim - 185
Raelin - 80
505 Points, 18 Hexes

This army is nasty. The blades screen for Nilfheim supported by Raelin.

Braxas - 210
Zelrig - 185
Marro Dividers x2 - 100
Isamu - 10
505 Points, 11 Hexes

Isamu is, once again, an afterthought in this Dragon build.

Minions x2 - 220
Krav - 100
Zelrig - 185
505 Points, 11 Hexes

Zelrig for squads at the beginning of the game. Krav follow-up for luring purposes. Minions for heroes and clean-up.

Minions x2 - 220
Atlaga - 90
Isamu - 10
Zelrig - 185
505 Points, 10 Hexes

Zelrig for squads at the beginning of the game. Minions for heroes and clean-up. Atlaga for movement boost and hero deterant (Witherwood +attack).

Deathreavers x2 - 80
Marro Stingers x4 - 240
Nilfheim - 185
505 Points, 22 Hexes (Jexik 5-0)

Nilfheim - 185
Marrden Hounds x3 - 270
Deathreavers - 40
495 Points, 24 Hexes

Wall Nilfheim off with Deathreavers in your start zone and save him for mid-end game (or vs. Deathreavers). Lead with the Hounds.

Zelrig - 185
Marrden Hounds x3 - 270
Marro Warriors - 50
505 Points, 24 Hexes

Lead with Zelrig. Minimize Marro Warrior start-zone adjacency with Marrden Hounds (ideally so that any adjacent Hounds could be moved away prior to Marro Plague, even on a bad movement roll). Mid-game with Hounds. Marro Warriors for clean-up.

Nilfheim - 185
Nakitas - 120
Raelin - 80
Deathreavers x3 - 120
505 Points, 18 Hexes

Deathreavers screen for Nilfheim supported by Raelin and Nakitas.

Raelin - 80
Marro Stingers x4 - 240
Zelrig - 185
505 Points, 15 Hexes (Jexik 4-1)

10th Reg x3 - 225
Marcus - 100
Raelin - 80
Dumutef Guard x4 - 100
505 Points, 22 Hexes (Onacara 4-1)

Nilfheim - 185
Deathreavers x2 - 80
4th Mass x3 - 210
Marcu - 20
Isamu - 10
505 Points, 24 Hexes

Zelrig - 185
Marrden Hounds x2 - 180
Airborne Elite - 110
Marcu - 20
Isamu - 10
505 Points, 20 Hexes

Lead with Zelrig. Follow-up with Hounds, and drop the AE whenever you can after the 1st round.

Zelrig - 185
Marro Stingers x3 - 180
Airborne Elite - 110
Marcu - 20
Isamu - 10
505 Points, 17 Hexes

Lead with Zelrig. Follow-up with Stingers, and drop the AE whenever you can after the 1st round.

Alternatively, drop the AE on the 1st round well out of range. Use Zelrig for a OM1&2 bomb, and use the AE to snipe for Zelrig or to attempt assasinations. Stingers for mid-endgame.

Last edited by mccombju; July 30th, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:26 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Maybe not so much competitive as it is fun but here it is:

225 Jotun
345 Nakita Agents
505 Sonlen
505pts/6hex

Jotun throws figures into the Nakita Agents and Sonlen reheals Jotun.

I was going to post this in the 500pt fun themed thread but then noticed it's 505 and probably not themed, but hey a big Giant, with a Elf, and 3 hot Chicks is thematic isn't it.

Sorry for the necro.

Last edited by Sheep; August 4th, 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: I said final army for the "The Army Advice and Feedback Thread" :D

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion