Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Help me decide on an Anubian army

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
Of the armies the original poster listed, I like the first army better, but I agree Raelin isn't helpful as she limits mobility. I'd replace her with x2 Rats for range screening/glyph grabbing. In line with the Steam Roller idea KCU mentioned, my favorite Anubian army is:

Anubians x3 - 225
Rats x2 - 305
Nilfheim - 490
Isamu - 500
20 hexes.

I like this army primarily for its stats- barring Isamu, every unit has 6 move and 4 defense. Between the Wolves and the Dragon, it also has good offensive power. So, fair staying power, but it moves fast and strikes hard. You have to be a little careful with your OMs, but if you play it right you bring up the Anubians while waiting for the right moment to rush in and decimate. The rats are there to block range, and Nilf is there to blast away whatever gets too close. However, from my experience you can expect to lose ~1 wolf per game thanks to poor d20 rolls.
I would use the Anubians for everything you are suggesting taking Deathreavers for, not counting on any extraordinary offense. I'd therefore take Raelin over the Deathreavers in the above army. In the same vein, I could see taking the following:

150 2 x Anubians
120 Kaemon
100 Krav
80 Raelin
50 Marro Warriors

The Marro Warriors screen the Anubians, which in turn screen the Krav & Raelin, with Kaemon as Ratcatcher.

David
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My fellow Wolf enthusiast.... take Khosumet... 4X Wolves + their cheerleading hero can make for a really fun game. Khosumet doesn't have many uses, but with multiple squads of wolves, he proves his worth. There are so many moments when Just One More number on that D20 roll makes all the difference!!!

Drop Raelin, and take Khosumet. The wolves are too fast to be tied to Raelin. A strong offense, in this situation, is a strong defense!

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old October 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

Quote:
Of the armies the original poster listed, I like the first army better, but I agree Raelin isn't helpful as she limits mobility. I'd replace her with x2 Rats for range screening/glyph grabbing. In line with the Steam Roller idea KCU mentioned, my favorite Anubian army is:

Anubians x3 - 225
Rats x2 - 305
Nilfheim - 490
Isamu - 500
20 hexes.

I like this army primarily for its stats- barring Isamu, every unit has 6 move and 4 defense. Between the Wolves and the Dragon, it also has good offensive power. So, fair staying power, but it moves fast and strikes hard. You have to be a little careful with your OMs, but if you play it right you bring up the Anubians while waiting for the right moment to rush in and decimate. The rats are there to block range, and Nilf is there to blast away whatever gets too close. However, from my experience you can expect to lose ~1 wolf per game thanks to poor d20 rolls.
I would use the Anubians for everything you are suggesting taking Deathreavers for, not counting on any extraordinary offense. I'd therefore take Raelin over the Deathreavers in the above army. In the same vein, I could see taking the following:

150 2 x Anubians
120 Kaemon
100 Krav
80 Raelin
50 Marro Warriors

The Marro Warriors screen the Anubians, which in turn screen the Krav & Raelin, with Kaemon as Ratcatcher.

David
Sorry, but I don't understand your logic at all. Wolves are more expensive and don't Scatter. How are they better screens against range than Rats? Nilfheim is pretty powerfully offensively, but without a lot of luck you will need the Wolves' offensive power as well to win. The whole reason you don't want Raelin and Wolves in the same army is because the wolves can and must move quickly to stay alive. They can't do that as effectively if they are tethered to Raelin's Defensive Aura.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM

special-jlk Woo who?

id go with the second one but thats mostly because i havent played with keomon awa
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
I've seen this army murder.

Anubian x3-225
4th x3-210
+65 points.
I really like the idea behind this one, maybe:

225 Anubians x3
235 10th x3
50 Marro Warriors (or maybe two Dumuteffs)
500 (drop a 10th)

I'd take 10th over 4th as I don't see this army getting Valiant very often.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

Thanks alot guys for all the input, I have a few armies im deciding between right now and the many ideas and insight from you guys have helped alot. Believe it or not the ultra simple army of

Anubiansx5
Kaemon

has worked great and I guess my only question would be, would it be worth taking a squad out for khosumet? I see a few of you have requested that and im just wondering if three more anubians are better or not. I still need to play test my braxas, 3 anubian army as well. Another army that crossed my mind was

Anubiansx3
Kaemon
Cyprien

Ide play it very close to the first one I listed, but use Cyprien to ambush cheerleaders and key figures. Anyway thanks again guys!

Dustin
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Quote:

Anubians x3 - 225
Rats x2 - 305
Nilfheim - 490
Isamu - 500
20 hexes.

150 2 x Anubians
120 Kaemon
100 Krav
80 Raelin
50 Marro Warriors

Sorry, but I don't understand your logic at all. Wolves are more expensive and don't Scatter. How are they better screens against range than Rats? Nilfheim is pretty powerfully offensively, but without a lot of luck you will need the Wolves' offensive power as well to win. The whole reason you don't want Raelin and Wolves in the same army is because the wolves can and must move quickly to stay alive. They can't do that as effectively if they are tethered to Raelin's Defensive Aura.
Not better or worse, just different. Wolves have a defense of 4, like Knights. In the army I suggested, they approach carefully, within Raelin's aura, until close enough to spring into engagement. Meanwhile, your own range keeps them from being picked off. (So, against long range, the Krav screen the Wolves.) I use the Kozuke in a similar role to the Wolves. Even with Deathreavers, I'd use Raelin's aura as long as possible. In the Nilfeim army, because the Dragon is so short ranged and vulnerable, I'll concede that the Deathreavers are a better choice over Raelin.

David
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosmooth View Post
What do you think about this:

Anubiansx3
Braxas
Isamu
Marro Warriors

I find the wolves are awesome when you can swarm after a good d20 roll, but troublesome squads like rats can hold them up and Braxas can remedy that. I havent tried it out yet but it may work ok. Plus the MW add some range.
I'm guessing that your tournament is over by now, but you could try using omnicron repulsors to take care of rats.
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker

I agree with YodaKing. Khomuset is a better cheerleader than Raelin. You don't have to waste any turn markers on him and you have a 10% chance of having 3 attacks of 9. Watch out Krug.

I once ran an army that I went 3-2 with.
Braxas
2X Anubians
Khomuset
Shotgun Sullivan

I do like
Khomuset
3X Anubians
200 points of range

Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

Hey guys, thanks to everyone for the help on my army. I ended up playing:

Anubiansx3
Braxas
Marro Warriors
Isamu

Although I only went 2-3 I feel the army could have done better and was pretty strong. A lucky roll on my braxas(Atlaga damnit) and a very poor opening move against a good player really hurt me. The wolves actually did very well considering they were always out numbered and I had a few bad rolls. Maybe the Anubians and Braxas doesn't mesh well together..in practice the army did awesome because braxas wrecked house but NHSD was not her day, in 3 out of my 5 games she died within first round(all losses, go figure) and the two she lived I won. After playing only 3 squads of anubians im thinking if your gonna go Anubian go as many as you can, the more you have the more you have chances of living if you make a bad roll. My main prob was with only 3 squads if I rolled a bad d20 and didnt kill anyone I would usually lose at least a wolf or 2 my opponents next attack. Against Podwest my wolves actually started rolling well against is minions( I had 3 turns of 17,18,17) but only 2 wolves left...If I would have played more I could have taken better advantage of the good rolls. Anyway, sorry for the long post. Im thinking I need to give the wolves another showing in a tourney, I really want to win with them, and I think with practice I can.

Dustin

Last edited by vertigosmooth; October 23rd, 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Run on sentence writing fool!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think you played one of my buddies that day, not sure how that ended up, but one thing I've always felt is that the Anubians are too fragile for their points... then again, I did play Venoc Vipers that day, so who am I to talk. Also, don't feel bad about Atlaga, another of my friends had a full squad of Stingers and unwounded Cyprien versus Atlaga alone and unwounded; one lucky Witherwood and down goes Cyprien, and my friend with him.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Man Atlaga scares me hehe. Actually I find the Anubians to "D up" pretty well when I use them. I find the hardest part with them is dealing with swarms or 4 attack bonding squads.I've been playing some games with them against some 4 unit bonding armies and im starting to do pretty well. I ran this army in a game with penopticon tonight:

4xAnubians
Raelin
Brunak
Isamu

against

4xAxegrinders
Migol
AE

I was worried by the numbers and number of attacks per turn of the dwarves, but I was very suprised that my wolves won by a pretty good margin. I wanna be way more prepared next go round so im starting way early practicing against different armies. I wonder which one of your friends I played, what army did he run?

Dustin

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion