Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: whitestuff's advanced gimpshop tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonite View Post
do you have to use a jandar card?
You can use any card that you want. Just make sure that the General you pick has the same sort of theme or feel as the custom character you want to make, eg, you won't find many robots in Einar.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM

dragonite is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonite View Post
do you have to use a jandar card?
You can use any card that you want. Just make sure that the General you pick has the same sort of theme or feel as the custom character you want to make, eg, you won't find many robots in Einar.
Thank you because I'm making a custom character that follows Utgar

Last edited by dragonite; July 24th, 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Jango_Fett is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Smile Re: whitestuff's advanced gimpshop tutorial

Great tutorial. I had no idea how to make new cards before this, but now I can finally make cards for my customs. Thanks so much. I'm sure this will help many people!

Jango_Fett
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:22 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango_Fett View Post
Great tutorial. I had no idea how to make new cards before this, but now I can finally make cards for my customs. Thanks so much. I'm sure this will help many people!

Jango_Fett
Not a problem. I'm pleased to help.

Oh, and welcome to the site.
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:23 AM

Azrael's Acid Woo who?

Hey guys. I finally made my first custom figure and card, and my printer's throwing a fit. Every time I enter the dimensions for width and height, it always prints either too big, or too small. Any suggestions?HEROSCAPE and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro. © 2006 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved.

" The only way evil can prevail, is when good men do nothing."
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM
C3G Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael's Acid View Post
Hey guys.
Hi, and it's just me
Quote:
I finally made my first custom figure and card
Excellent to see new blood. I can't really comment on the card you made as it is too small and I can't read it. I must be getting old...
Oh, and make sure that you make yourself a custom card thread so that others can see your work.
Quote:
my printer's throwing a fit. Every time I enter the dimensions for width and height, it always prints either too big, or too small. Any suggestions?

HEROSCAPE and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro. © 2006 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved.
Hmm, are you using the right dimensions? (4.85 inches (123mm) for the width setting and 4.58 inches (116mm) for the height setting)

If you are and it is not working, try printing from a different program. Open a word document (or even an Open Office document if you are doing everything for free), insert the image of the card and then change the dimensions in that program. Print away to your hearts content.
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Azrael's Acid Woo who?

Thanks Whitestuff! Yes I am using those dimensions. I've tried from several different programs, and it does the same thing. It only prints the very outside border of the card on the edge of the paper. It's really frustrating. As for the card itself, I intend to make two more customs to go with it, but here are the stats:

ANITA BLAKE- HUMAN, UNIQUE HERO, VAMPIRE HUNTER, DISCIPLINED, MEDIUM 5.

LIFE- 6
MOVE- 4
RANGE- 2
ATTACK- 3
DEFENSE- 5
120 POINTS

TRIUMVIRATE-
If you control Jean-Claude and Richard, you may add 3 to your attack, and 1 to your defense.

LUPA'S CALL-
Before taking a turn with Anita, you may first take a turn with Munin, or any pack of wolves.

NECROMANCY-
Before taking a turn with Anita, you may first take a turn with any undead species you control.

EXECUTIONER'S DEFENSE-
On a normal attack from any undead, all additional shields rolled will count as counter attacks.

Other than the printing issue, should I change her point value?

Old August 13th, 2008, 06:54 AM
C3G Hero

Quote:
Thanks Whitestuff! Yes I am using those dimensions. I've tried from several different programs, and it does the same thing. It only prints the very outside border of the card on the edge of the paper. It's really frustrating.
Even from a word document? Is there anyway to get a scan of what this looks like? I'm having trouble imagining it...
Quote:
ANITA BLAKE- should I change her point value?
Definitely. I think that a figure should be imagined at their best when thinking about points, so Anita would have a 6 attack with a 6 defense, bonding before taking a turn, plus counterstrike on undead. Kato has an attack of 4, a defense of 4 and can activate two squads (but not himself) but has no counterstrike (even for a samurai ) and he costs 200 points. Anita's points could be doubled and it still may not be enough...
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Azrael's Acid Woo who?

Gotcha. Ok, point value of 220-240? As for the printing problem, I'll do a scan today and post it so you can see. Thanks again!

Old August 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

To anyone who can help me:

I recently downloaded GIMP in an effort to begin making custom cards. After a bit of effort, I managed to download it and am in the process of teaching myself how to use it, with the help of this excellent tutorial (thanks, whitestuff!)

Anyway, here's my question. I'm making superhero customs and want to make it the official way, with a picture of the mini on the card instead of a drawing of the character. I'm having trouble making backgrounds (like Captain America's flag background or Silver Surfer's cosmic background) for the minis, though. I've figured out how to select the shape of the background using GIMP's fuzzy selection function, but is there any way to use that shape as a cookie cutter that I can apply to other images?

Sorry if I'm not being clear - I'd post images to clarify what I mean, but I'm kind of a Luddite, if you couldn't already tell.
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM
C3G Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
To anyone who can help me:

I recently downloaded GIMP in an effort to begin making custom cards. After a bit of effort, I managed to download it and am in the process of teaching myself how to use it, with the help of this excellent tutorial (thanks, whitestuff!)
Not a problem.

Quote:
Anyway, here's my question. I'm making superhero customs and want to make it the official way, with a picture of the mini on the card instead of a drawing of the character. I'm having trouble making backgrounds (like Captain America's flag background or Silver Surfer's cosmic background) for the minis, though. I've figured out how to select the shape of the background using GIMP's fuzzy selection function, but is there any way to use that shape as a cookie cutter that I can apply to other images?
Yes, you can use a layer mask as a 'cookie cutter' but there is an easier way. If you use GreyOwl's supers custom blanks, you won't need to use a layer mask. GreyOwl's blanks are PNG files which have transparent parts. All you do is prepare your background and putting it in a layer underneath where GreyOwl's PNGs are. You will see your background only in the parts where it is meant to be.

Quote:
Sorry if I'm not being clear - I'd post images to clarify what I mean, but I'm kind of a Luddite, if you couldn't already tell.
If I misunderstood what you meant, by all means, post some pics of your problem.
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestuff View Post
Quote:
Yes, you can use a layer mask as a 'cookie cutter' but there is an easier way. If you use GreyOwl's supers custom blanks, you won't need to use a layer mask. GreyOwl's blanks are PNG files which have transparent parts. All you do is prepare your background and putting it in a layer underneath where GreyOwl's PNGs are. You will see your background only in the parts where it is meant to be.
Thanks for the reply, whitestuff!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I was already using GreyOwl's blanks - they're a great tool. While I was waiting for a reply, I figured out the method you describe, and it works well enough, but it requires maneuvering the card border around. Sometimes maneuvering it to get the best part of the background image into the window isn't possible, because the card border disappears past the dimensions of the background. For example, if the desired part of the background image is in the upper right corner of the image, moving the Heroscape card template there causes part of the template to disappear off the edge. (Again, sorry if I'm not clear, but you understood me perfectly last time. )

I'll fiddle around with the layer mask method, but is there a way to enlarge the "frame" of the background image without changing the image's size? I think that method might be ideal for what I want to do.

Last edited by Sherman Davies; August 30th, 2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: For clarity.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards