Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old May 1st, 2018, 08:55 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of Shaolin Monks

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Buyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosChild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manger
In an intense game last night a very interesting question came up that is not yet addressed concerning the monks: perhaps the answer is so obvious that nobody thought to ask it before... On the card it states you may move "all or any monks"... does this imply that if I had drafted 33 monks that I could stealth leap with all 33 of them?!?!

Final monk question: SUppose the answer to question above is no (i wouldnt be upset if this were the case) can I stealth leap with one monk (move of 3) and move a second monk with a regular move of 6 as long as I follow normal moving rules?

Thanks for your help your help scrapers! peace
First question is no. The key phrase is "instead of thier normal move". Only 3 monks get a normal move per turn so, any or all of the 3 can leap.

Second question is yes, you may stealth leap with one and nomal move another.
This response is wrong on both points! Clearly the game designers screwed up. "Instead of their normal move" which is three figs walking, "any or all may stealth leap" so you as player choose NORMAL MOVE or INSTEAD stealth leap - not some stealth leap and some normal move (yes, that part sucks) but the "any or all" applies to ALL common figs... when you take a turn with a squad of Zombies, do you not use multiple squads of common figs? YES! In a 500pt game, all 6 squads of Monks may leap (yes, that's 18 figs) or NORMAL MOVE (3 figs 6 spaces each).

The Dzu-Teh Glacier Traverse works the same way as the Monks' Stealth Leap... "instead of moving normally" and "any or all" are my closing arguments your honor. That said, anyone can make up their own house rules to fix any design flaws such as these... do whatever makes you a happyscaper!
With one order marker on a card of Monks you only move one card worth of monks, meaning 3. When using their ability you may stealth leap or normal move your 3, not 18. One card worth moves.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old May 11th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Buyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosChild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manger
In an intense game last night a very interesting question came up that is not yet addressed concerning the monks: perhaps the answer is so obvious that nobody thought to ask it before... On the card it states you may move "all or any monks"... does this imply that if I had drafted 33 monks that I could stealth leap with all 33 of them?!?!

Final monk question: SUppose the answer to question above is no (i wouldnt be upset if this were the case) can I stealth leap with one monk (move of 3) and move a second monk with a regular move of 6 as long as I follow normal moving rules?

Thanks for your help your help scrapers! peace
First question is no. The key phrase is "instead of thier normal move". Only 3 monks get a normal move per turn so, any or all of the 3 can leap.

Second question is yes, you may stealth leap with one and nomal move another.
This response is wrong on both points! Clearly the game designers screwed up. "Instead of their normal move" which is three figs walking, "any or all may stealth leap" so you as player choose NORMAL MOVE or INSTEAD stealth leap - not some stealth leap and some normal move (yes, that part sucks) but the "any or all" applies to ALL common figs... when you take a turn with a squad of Zombies, do you not use multiple squads of common figs? YES! In a 500pt game, all 6 squads of Monks may leap (yes, that's 18 figs) or NORMAL MOVE (3 figs 6 spaces each).

The Dzu-Teh Glacier Traverse works the same way as the Monks' Stealth Leap... "instead of moving normally" and "any or all" are my closing arguments your honor. That said, anyone can make up their own house rules to fix any design flaws such as these... do whatever makes you a happyscaper!
The ability was clearly not intended to work this way. Yes, they could have worded it better, but it's only the 3 activated figures. ChaosChild was right. You remind me of my nephew who thought that Marro Stingers got to keep their +1 attack from Stinger Drain for the rest of the game, because the card doesn't specifically say that they only get it for that turn. This would have made Stingers incredibly overpowered as I witnessed while watching him play.

Now the reason that you only get to stealth leap with 3 figures, is because of the rules regarding activations. When you take a turn with the monks, you are activating your choice of 3 Monks. Any or all of the your activated monks can choose to stealth leap. The other, in your example of a 500 point game, 15 monks were not activated, and thus cannot stealth leap.

However, as you pointed out in your own post, anyone can house rule them to work however they want.
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Me and my dude ISB3 were playing two days ago and this came up: I had a Monk adjecent to 2 rats and killed one of them, he scattered and moved a third rat in its place, can I attack the new rat? I thought yes, he thought no. But we really didn't know, it could be either.

It's not often I play the monks lol.....or Swarm Raelin
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Me and my dude ISB3 were playing two days ago and this came up: I had a Monk adjecent to 2 rats and killed one of them, he scattered and moved a third rat in its place, can I attack the new rat? I thought yes, he thought no. But we really didn't know, it could be either.

Yup, you can. Each attack is separate (so you're not "targeting" a group of figures and then attacking those ones), and the only condition is that they can attack each adjacent figure once. Doesn't matter what part of the turn that adjacency happens (so you could also punch a newly spawned Divider, for example).

I remember an old thread trying to figure out the most number of attacks possible in a single turn, and Scattering an infinite number of Rats into a Shaolin Monk was one of the "winning" scenarios.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old August 30th, 2019, 08:00 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

LOL I imagine something like this

Old September 1st, 2019, 05:07 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

Yup, you can. Each attack is separate (so you're not "targeting" a group of figures and then attacking those ones), and the only condition is that they can attack each adjacent figure once. Doesn't matter what part of the turn that adjacency happens (so you could also punch a newly spawned Divider, for example).

I remember an old thread trying to figure out the most number of attacks possible in a single turn, and Scattering an infinite number of Rats into a Shaolin Monk was one of the "winning" scenarios.
Ok, that's what I thought. Thank you Bigga
Old May 7th, 2020, 11:13 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Man, I wish they'd had some sort of bonding option available...! These guys require finesse to use effectively. A 3 defense won't last long in the open. I've found they shine the most when 2-3 squads are used, and they can be very deadly on close-combat oriented maps, with lots of obstacles to provide cover. Master Woo makes them flat out evil, but is a huge point investment. Still one of my absolute favorite squads!

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."

Last edited by Owlman; May 7th, 2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old May 7th, 2020, 12:23 PM
Setting the Table for Super

Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You should check out the C3V card of Master Lao Xin I think it's what you are looking for.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=54569

There are 3 other Monk heroes there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Man, I wish they'd had some sort of binding option available...! These guys require finesse to use effectively. A 3 defense won't last long in the open. I've found they shine the most when 2-3 squads are used, and they can be very deadly on close-combat oriented maps, with lots of obstacles to provide cover. Master Woo makes them flat out evil, but is a huge point investment. Still one of my absolute favorite squads!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units