Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old May 5th, 2017, 09:36 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Need a new game

Ok, you guys did a good job of finding me a good card game when I asked for advice. I am loving Star Wars Destiny. I thought I would try again.

I am looking for a single board game that my entire family of five can play. A four player game would be acceptable as well.

After all these years I have not been able to get my family into Heroscape, so I'm looking for that magic game that will hook them.

I'm hoping for something:
  • Not to complicated
  • Easy to set up
  • Doesn't take over 2 hours. 1 hour is better

I have been searching and watching videos for a week. The ones that have caught my eye are Blood Rage, Kemet, Scythe, Cry Havoc, Bloodborne The Card Game, and Arcadia Quest.

Some of those seem overly complicated, long set up times, etc. I love games that are aesthetically pleasing. I am partial to miniatures, but it isn't strictly required.

Can anyone suggest a game that my family and I might love, that would be easy for them to learn? And do any of the above-listed games meet my needs?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; May 5th, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old May 5th, 2017, 09:43 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation
Re: Need a new game

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Ok, you guys did a good job of finding me a good card game when I asked for advice. I am loving Star Wars Destiny. I thought I would try again.

I am looking for a single board game that my entire family of five can play. A four player game would be acceptable as well.

After all these years I have not been able to get my family into Heroscape, so I'm looking for that magic game that will hook them.

I'm hoping for something:
  • Not to complicated
  • Easy to set up
  • Doesn't take over 2 hours. 1 hour is better

I have been searching and watching videos for a week. The ones that have caught my eye are Blood Rage, Kemet, Scythe, Cry Havoc, and Arcadia Quest.

Some of those seem overly complicated, long set up times, etc. I love games that are aesthetically pleasing. I am partial to miniatures, but it isn't strictly required.

Can anyone suggest a game that my family and I might love, that would be easy for them to learn? And do any of the above-listed games meet my needs?
If you are looking for a co-op game, I'd say Castle: Panic. It is fun, easy for different ages and since it is co-op ~ you can work together.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43443/castle-panic
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:10 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
If you are looking for a co-op game, I'd say Castle: Panic. It is fun, easy for different ages and since it is co-op ~ you can work together.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43443/castle-panic
That is actually a good suggestion but I tried it a few years ago. It didn't stick though. I sold it last year. Thank you though.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:16 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Depends on the ages but if you are looking for an all inclusive game without player elimination...my family (my son since he was 8 all the way through his grandparents) really enjoy Ticket to Ride. I like that I can up the challenge to myself by keeping more initial destinations. Sometimes I decide before hand that I will keep them all regardless just for the challenge.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:17 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Co op or versus is the question. If you like coop dungeon crawls I hear arcadia quest is fun. Im not sure if you like Zombicide black plague but quite a few age groups have liked that one that ive played with. Massive darkness will also be out soon and it looks promising. There are so many out there youd have to be more specific.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:13 PM

@japes

Oh yes, I should have included the ages of my kids. They are ages 7, 14, and 15. I know that it will be hard to find something for the 7 y/o, but I can coach him along on some of the harder stuff. I have heard of Ticket to Ride of course but I haven't really looked at it very hard. I'll chek out a "Let's Play" video. Thanks!

@TREX Is Zombicide anything like Last Night on Earth? I used to own that game and ended up selling it, just like Castle Panic, because no one would play it. As for Co-op or versus I don't really have a preference. I tried to give some examples of what looks fun and interesting to me but there is a literal crap-ton of games out there. I see now that it was maybe silly to ask such a question with so many choices, and everything being subjective and all that. Was just hoping I would get lucky I guess.

I had nearly decided on Arcadia Quest because it looks pretty awesome and fun, but it seems to have a very long set up time and a lot of upkeep. Not to mention that it's pricy.

Last edited by keglo; May 5th, 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:55 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I've never played any game like zombicide until I played zombicide. Black plague is just a version of zombicide that is fantasy based instead of a more modern version where instead of blasting the zombies with guns you shoot them with spells, crossbows, and swords. I do like the rules updates in that one compared to regular zombicide even though I have all the content they came out with except their kickstarter exclusives. I do know this. From smaller kids to adults everyone that has played zombicide black plague that I know loves it. You pick up gear, you work together, and have a good time killing zombies with dice rolls. The game mechanics are not hard, and it is easy to teach. I do still have to reference abilities some times but that is because I have so much stuff for the games. Massive Darkness should have some of that type of gameplay with some altered mechanics and enemies to make a dungeon crawl type game. Another game I'm really liking lately is rum and bones 2nd tide. With the core box you can play up to 6 players in teams or there are some alternative variants where you battle each other in a battle royale. Overall its a great game with fairly simple mechanics, short set up time and a great theme. (think disney pirates movies) Ships clashing together and boarding. I have so much stuff for the game that I shall probably never get bored of it.

Old May 6th, 2017, 12:08 AM

@TREX

I'll watch some videos on Zombicide Black Plague and see what its about.

I did check into Rum and Bones but I could have sworn that it was a 2 player game. I'll do more research. I'll check out some videos for Second Tide too.

Thanks!

Old May 6th, 2017, 12:37 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
@japes

Oh yes, I should have included the ages of my kids. They are ages 7, 14, and 15. I know that it will be hard to find something for the 7 y/o, but I can coach him along on some of the harder stuff. I have heard of Ticket to Ride of course but I haven't really looked at it very hard. I'll chek out a "Let's Play" video. Thanks!
Well my son was 7 when we first got the game and we co-played it for about 3 games until he decided "dad, if got this" It's pretty amazing how simple but strategic it can be. Both the Europe and USA version play 5 people standard. It's the only game I can get everyone to play anytime I ask. Since we started playing it, my wife's sister, her dad, and her mom have bought a version of it. My father-in-law was here the year we got it for Christmas and actually had me go online and order it for him so that it would be delivered to his house when he flew home.

If you do go with the USA version just buy the 1910 expansion right away. We were advised to do that and did. I couldn't imagine playing with those tiny cards that came with the original. We did however print off a smaller USA map and self laminated it and use the small cards and wet erase markers to create a "travel version" It's fun on campouts and no fear of losing anything important.

If you need a dice rolling game I'd also recommend King of Tokyo. My family enjoys it and we bought the Power Up expansion later and enjoy that as well. You can play that one with more than 5 players and a 6 year old could figure it out. It's just a fun dice rolling game.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old May 6th, 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
If you need a dice rolling game I'd also recommend King of Tokyo. My family enjoys it and we bought the Power Up expansion later and enjoy that as well. You can play that one with more than 5 players and a 6 year old could figure it out. It's just a fun dice rolling game.
King of Tokyo is one that I was looking at too. I was just a little worried that the game was too simple? I was hoping for a game that requires some strategy. Something to help my 7 y/o, and all of us really, develop strategy skills. Same with One Night Ultimate Werewolf. I would like to have both in my library I think, but I'm not sure if they are the game I'm talking about.

Old May 6th, 2017, 01:47 PM
"like" happy

On the Rum and Bones, Go for Rum and Bones 2nd Tide. The rules are upgraded from the first season. The updates make the game go from not too bad to awesome. If you like it and want those older crews they have an upgrade kit that will come out to retail soon for the season 1 sets. I have 8 crews and tons of mercenaries and I still want to get the retail only Viking set coming out on coolstuffinc soon as well. The minis for Coolminiornot games are always worth a paintjob as well.

Old May 7th, 2017, 04:13 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

@keglo --

What games have your family played in the past (that they like)?
And what mix of boys/girls do you have?

I always point people to BoardGameGeek's annual Holiday gift guide, it's got 40+ games on there, changes slightly each Thanksgiving. (You can search previous year lists there as well.)

I often recommend Flash Point: Fire Rescue. Affordable, cooperative, thematic, double-sided boards, with plenty of expansion boards if it sticks. It's about an hour.
+1 for King of Tokyo. Carcassonne is another personal favorite, within your time limit, and the first two expansions add just the right amount of extras.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games