Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM

genesiseffect75 is surprisingly tart
Speed/Range vs. Bonding vs Major Q9

I'll be playing HS for the first time in a few weeks with several friends who know the game pretty well, so I'm trying to learn online and reading as much as I can. This forum is awesome, and I know I can get some experienced advice from you guys. Between the guys I'll be playing with they've got all the sets and many doubles, and we're planning 400 pt armies.

It seems to me that speed and range can be devastating, but so can having more than 3 attacks per round. On the other hand, is Q9 such a difference maker he should not be missed if I have the chance?

Given my less than novice experience level, would any of these 3 armies be better for me to run than another?

Army 1: Speed & Range
---------------
Cyprien Esenwein
Microcorp Agents
Me-Burq-Sa
Marro Warriors x2
(I was also thinking Airborne instead of Microcorp, and then only 1 squad of Marro with Theracus)

Army 2: Bonding
---------------
Major Q10
Krug
Arrow Gruts x2
Swog Rider x2

Army 3: Q9
---------------
Major Q9
Minions of Utgar
Raelin the Kyrie
Guilty McCreech

I'm worried I would not know how to run the Q9 army effectively. The bonding army seems most straight forward.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys would give.
Thanks!
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Archkyrie11 is surprisingly tart
Re: Speed/Range vs. Bonding vs Major Q9

Well your first army is illegal unless you guys are house ruling using unique squads as commons.

Alderaan shot first
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:40 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

In your first army, you must mean some other squad that "Marro Warriors X 2" (maybe Roman Legionnaires?) because they are a unique squad, meaning you can only have one squad of them. Making the switch to one squad, and adding Airborne Elite and Theracus sounds like the most fun and diverse army to play.

You could also exchange Q10 for Mimring in the second army and have a second bonding option.
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:09 PM

I missed that - thanks! Ok, cool, I think that sounds like a fun option, too. I'm getting really excited for this!
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:13 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
In your first army, you must mean some other squad that "Marro Warriors X 2" (maybe Roman Legionnaires?) because they are a unique squad, meaning you can only have one squad of them. Making the switch to one squad, and adding Airborne Elite and Theracus sounds like the most fun and diverse army to play.

You could also exchange Q10 for Mimring in the second army and have a second bonding option.

ROCK ON! GO AIRBORNE! THEY CAN BE ANYTHING THEY WANT TO BE!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Army 2 with Mimring instead of Q10 is very powerful and makes for very simple Order Marker management. I think it is a great army to play around with.

The legal version of Army 1 with the AE seems to be a bit of a hodgepodge. You've got some good units there, but they don't mutually support one another very well.

Any army that starts out Q9, Raelin has a chance. Minions/Guilty is a fine way to finish it out, though if you had them I'd be tempted to go with 2xDeathreavers + Zetacron.

Great thoughts, good armies and Welcome!

~Aldin, who hadn't thought about 400 point armies recently

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I don't really care for the Cyprien army... it needs a way to kill Q9.

Arrow Gruts aren't really a personal preference of mine. I think they need Raelin to be good. However, if you do go with that, I'd be tempted to play Mimring instead of Q10, since he also bonds.

I like the Q9 army the best, but I don't think the Minions are the right choice there. I'd rather have the Krav Maga Agents and a squad of Deathreavers instead of Minions / Guilty. The Krav + Raelin is probably the oldest combo in the game, and its still solid.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:08 AM

This is great! Now let me throw a wrench into things - there will be 7 armies on the board at once, battle royal. The winner is the player who does the most damage. So I have to balance being able to inflict damage quickly with staying alive long enough. I guess that's why I thought the movement and range army made sense. It also seems to lack that obvious threat that says, "Take me out first," to the other guys.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:14 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Battle Royales are notoriously unpredictable. In this case I'd say it favors the Q9/Raelin army. Why break your teeth on a nine defense, four life unit while there are plenty of cheap and easy squaddie bodies to gobble up? In fact, killercactus' KMA/Rats recommendation makes even more sense in that format (forget Zetacron - he's just a tempting target against so many foes).

~Aldin, who notes that Arrow Grut armies are hard to keep alive

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM

I think KMA will be unavailable - too powerful. If no KMA, what would be a better substitution than the Minions?
Old April 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If KMA arent available maybe Nakitas + Isamu + Otonashi? Nakitas dont benefit from Realin as much as the KMA but smoke powder and engagement strike are pretty useful powers.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

personally i would go with a roman army for easy om management.i would use an army with lots of bonding and good range like
mbs-50(50)
mw-50(100)
2x leggionaires-100(200)
2x roman archers-110(310)
marcus-100(410)
ngs-90(500)
500/22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion