Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old April 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf_Archer View Post
The Hobbit by J.R. Tolkien.

It's awesome so far.

Does an yone have any recommendations for a fantasy novel that takes place in a completely fictional setting? (No teleporting between Earth and other things like that.)

I finished the original LotR series, and I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably comperable book. Nothing too mature, please.
Try the Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Soon to be Mrs. Tony Stark

DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Religions of Africa-Traditions in Transformation by E. Thomas Lawson

[And DeceitfulBeauty finally beat NecroBlade at Heroscape. With Iron Man.]
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Rythos has disabled reputation

That series suffered from having about three too many books. I loved the first three books but after that it seemed kind of formulaic though.

Right now I'm going through Wheel of Time #6 again (Another series which most people would say suffers from the same thing)

Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Just finished Confessor, the last Sword of Truth novel by Terry Goodkind.

Generous deed should not be checked by cold counsel
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythos View Post
That series suffered from having about three too many books. I loved the first three books but after that it seemed kind of formulaic though.

Right now I'm going through Wheel of Time #6 again (Another series which most people would say suffers from the same thing)

Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Just finished Confessor, the last Sword of Truth novel by Terry Goodkind.
Whoa!

I could have written that post. Just read the chapter "Fire and Spirit" last night.

~Aldin, living a parallel life

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandars_Hope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondye78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossman View Post

The Belgariad and The Mallorean by David Eddings.
The Riftwar and The Serpentwar by Raymond Feist.
The Shannara books by Terry Brooks.
Belgariad and Shannara books were both great, and most anything from RA Salvatore!

I like Series books, 1 book don't hold my attention long enough
I bought the first 3 Shannara trilogies and so far i've only read the first three books. I wasn't blown away by them to be honest. The characters in Sword of Shannara seemed very very similar to LOTR. Elfstones was probably my favourite of the first trilogy though.
Yes, the first trilogy was pretty derivative. The next series (I think it's four books) is very good, and much more original.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
I finished The Running Man. I liked the ending, but it is rather similar to a certain event.

Spoiler Alert!

I'm now reading Night by Elie Wiesel for English class.
Night is a good book.

I'm reading Book 4 in the Ranger's Apprentice Series, The Battle for Skandia. It's good so far, but I had to go back and read 1-3 Sunday and Monday, because I forgot everything that happened. Everything in Book 1 is so much clearer than when I first read it two years ago. I got Book 4 for Easter.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun

Skulduggery Pleasant: Playing With Fire.

The second book in the series, and Mr. Landy has kept up his consistently humorous actiony fantasy. The Skeleton Detective is as good as ever.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

PK, I shall see your Skullduggery and raise you a Liberation: Being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America.

I think that the second is something that might be in your interest.

DWARVES!
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Aquaryan is surprisingly tart

I had just finished reading GHOST RADIO...I forgot the author's name at the moment. He is a comic book writer/artist, too..

Old April 21st, 2009, 06:44 AM

starsandstripes Woo who?

skulduggery pleasnt series

why does everyone hate me?
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM

starsandstripes Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post

The second book in the series, and Mr. Landy has kept up his consistently humorous actiony fantasy. The Skeleton Detective is as good as ever.
the third one is even better

why does everyone hate me?
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:08 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
PK, I shall see your Skullduggery and raise you a Liberation: Being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America.

I think that the second is something that might be in your interest.
Ooh, sounds like an alternate history scenario. I am totally game. Hopefully my library will have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsandstripes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post

the third one is even better
Yes! I hoped it would be. Makes me happy to look forward to it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books