Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old March 30th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: BiggaBullfrog's Customs - Update 3/28 - Just eight new c

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Short version: the image URL had width and height parameters in it, because you got it from the preview image and not the original image.

Long version:
Spoiler Alert!
Makes sense -- I didn't realize Discord was doing that, so that's very helpful! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
I'm in favor of a submission here as well...except for a couple quibbles that I think might need some tuning:

- Wave Push should allow falling damage imo. I think that thematically it makes sense that water could push someone off a cliff to their doom and it would be pretty darn fun to get him up onto a ledge and just push units off that come up to get him.
- I think +3 range seems a bit much when he already has 5. I feel like range 7+ should be left to those with "sharpshooting" mechanics, guns, abilities, weapons etc. I can't reasonably see a water attack accurately and effectively dealing damage to a unit 8 spaces away, especially if they're behind a wall or tree or something but their tail is poking out. Maybe just leave it to the attack buff? Or just do Water Mastery and call it good. I mean Avernus is basically a fire elemental but with a twist. Proteus could be the same i.e. have the same abilities as a Water elemental but with a twist (increased stats and a "new" water ability with the Wave Push)
- Single-hex. Sounds like to SF he fits, probably save a headache with the water tunnel to make him single spaced.
Ha, yeah this is kind of why I'm not terribly interested in trying to force any of my customs through SoV. When it comes to designing customs, I'm selfish and really just set out to make myself happy, and I don't really have the time/interest to try to please everyone. Each of those things you point out, actually, are things that I made the way they are because they make me happy:

Wave Push not doing falling damage is a small callback to water negating falling damage. There's a thematic argument both ways, but I chose the one that I thought was more fun.
I definitely designed Proteus in the vein of Boreos and Avernus as "smaller elemental with a twist," and I like the extra range as a part of that twist. I actually love the idea of a big water elemental that can snipe figures when its absorbing water. I also like the play style that encourages, personally, since it encourages more use of water spaces. I can see the concern for potential theme break too, though I disagree with it.
Single hex is the smallest thing and easiest to change, but I also like the image of Proteus being able to morph itself into a narrower stream to go through one water hex to another before it splashes out into its bigger self.

Not that I'm wanting to squash any attempts to alter or even improve the cards (heck, that's part of what I do as a judge, so I'm definitely not trying to discourage feedback), but since SoV isn't really the scope with my own customs, I'm reluctant to subject myself to that workshopping process. If someone wants to take them and submit them as-is or workshop them, that's fine by me. I'm just hesitant to jump into the rabbit hole myself.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 30th, 2020, 06:09 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
I'm in favor of a submission here as well...except for a couple quibbles that I think might need some tuning:

- Wave Push should allow falling damage imo. I think that thematically it makes sense that water could push someone off a cliff to their doom and it would be pretty darn fun to get him up onto a ledge and just push units off that come up to get him.
- I think +3 range seems a bit much when he already has 5. I feel like range 7+ should be left to those with "sharpshooting" mechanics, guns, abilities, weapons etc. I can't reasonably see a water attack accurately and effectively dealing damage to a unit 8 spaces away, especially if they're behind a wall or tree or something but their tail is poking out. Maybe just leave it to the attack buff? Or just do Water Mastery and call it good. I mean Avernus is basically a fire elemental but with a twist. Proteus could be the same i.e. have the same abilities as a Water elemental but with a twist (increased stats and a "new" water ability with the Wave Push)
- Single-hex. Sounds like to SF he fits, probably save a headache with the water tunnel to make him single spaced.
I will admit I was initially against the heightened range. And maybe you're exactly right in your line of thinking. However, as I thought about it more, I thought about the placement of water tiles on maps and how much that ranged attack is limited by where water tiles are on the board - in that sense, I don't think it's accurate to treat him like a normal ranged unit. At least that idea is what made me more okay with +3 to the range. Besides which, the official water elemental has a range of 5, seems a bigger water elemental should have a greater range...

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old March 30th, 2020, 06:14 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Not that I'm wanting to squash any attempts to alter or even improve the cards (heck, that's part of what I do as a judge, so I'm definitely not trying to discourage feedback), but since SoV isn't really the scope with my own customs, I'm reluctant to subject myself to that workshopping process. If someone wants to take them and submit them as-is or workshop them, that's fine by me. I'm just hesitant to jump into the rabbit hole myself.
Totally fair was only offering my pennies in case you were thinking about it.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 30th, 2020, 06:26 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I think Proteus would work just fine as a double-spacer. You'd just have to decide how exactly to translate Water Tunnel to a double-space power (do both spaces have to end up within 5 spaces of the original placement, or just one? do both spaces have to start and end on water, or just one?)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards