Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old May 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
GeoGuessr

As often happens, xkcd introduced me to something I hadn't seen before. Had some fun playing GeoGuessr until I scored over 10,000. Anyone else have a score to post?

~Aldin, mappishly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:48 PM
definitely (Probably)

Sock wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sock wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sock wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sock wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sock wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sock wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: GeoGuessr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
As often happens, xkcd introduced me to something I hadn't seen before. Had some fun playing GeoGuessr until I scored over 10,000. Anyone else have a score to post?

~Aldin, mappishly
Aldin, ever played this?

~Sock, noticing your URL is a thousand characters long

Sock is one week away from retirement, in
THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:12 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

The key, really is getting the country (or at least the continent) right. There's also a lot of luck involved... sometimes you get an isolated country road and you have nothing to go on, and other times you get a TON.

I doubt I can top this score easily. 6000 of that is from the second one, where I was put in the downtown of a town on the coast of western canada with the name of the town across the street, and I was able to zoom in and put the guess ON the spot. For the rest of them, I was able to get enough context to get the country right, and I was lucky enough to be reasonably close on all of them. Ironically, the only bad miss was in the USA.

It's funny how I can often nail it down to a couple places on opposite ends of the world quickly. On "D" there, I was put on a rocky coastal spot with a bunch of sheep around, and I thought "OK, this is either Scotland or New Zealand". Then I saw RBS on the side of a building, and that got me there.
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

That is a real cool site. I could see that being a very bad time sink. After a few tries I almost broke 9000. It helps when you figure out you can pan in the street view pic.
http://www.geoguessr.com?s=eyJ0b3Rhb...YuNjQwNjI1XV19
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Thanks for posting that Aldin. My dad and I just wasted a good thirty minutes on it.

The biggest strategy I noticed was language recognition. If you can figure out what language it is, you can typically figure out the country (or region). Knowing the difference between Portuguese and Spanish saved me from a lot of Central/South America flip-flops.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:19 AM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Here's a challenge one. I cracked 11k, mainly on the strength of guessing very close on the second and third ones.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:45 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I managed a 16K score, owing a lot to seeing a port with Acapulco on it. I ended up within 1.2 km of the spot. This is an interesting exercise. Thanks for posting this Aldin. In a couple days my wife will curse your name.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:52 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?

o_0 I did not expect to get that on my first try. Then again I got very lucky by never having left the Americas. Signs were quite helpful as Sioux something, 60km/hr, and something in what looked like Portuguese helped me get pretty close.

~Dysole, who will be surprised if he beats that score.
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:13 PM

Re: Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
o_0 I did not expect to get that on my first try. Then again I got very lucky by never having left the Americas. Signs were quite helpful as Sioux something, 60km/hr, and something in what looked like Portuguese helped me get pretty close.

~Dysole, who will be surprised if he beats that score.
Nip and tuck... I managed 11171 points against your 10928. You really had to go by climate/vegetation a lot on that one.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hah, my friend showed me this a couple days ago. The one time I played it I got 15353, which I guess is not bad. It's always nice when you get a downtown area with plenty of signs- I was on the nose in Sitka, Alaska.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games