Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM

Freezie knows what's in an order marker Freezie knows what's in an order marker Freezie knows what's in an order marker
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings (GenCon 2010 Response)

Stingers, 4th Mass, and 10th Reg all had very strong showings this year. I think 10th should get bumped up to an A for sure. Also, while Minions won a few tournaments, they should stay about an A-. PKs had some solid showings as well, possibly a raise?

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me -Psalm 23:4
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post
KC not supporting the underdog?
Omnicrons got 2nd place at the Vancouver, WA tournament - only lost to 4th + Silver Surfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I nominated Cyprien Esenwein for a raise. He always places in the top 3 up here in Toronto, and there is some fairly stiff competition. He adds so much to a Stinger/10th or most other common armies.

Granted we run different scenarios, but most degrade into kill'em alls anyway. He is a very versatile figure and other than a bad match up against Soulborg armies (which are admittedly on the decline) he can be a real beast on most maps.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Goblin's are surprisingly effective - Can't wait to see them with their D3 buddies. If you don't have Q9/Zelrig in your army, they can be brutal being able to kill only 1 at a time.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:09 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I nominated Cyprien Esenwein for a raise. He always places in the top 3 up here in Toronto, and there is some fairly stiff competition. He adds so much to a Stinger/10th or most other common armies.

Granted we run different scenarios, but most degrade into kill'em alls anyway. He is a very versatile figure and other than a bad match up against Soulborg armies (which are admittedly on the decline) he can be a real beast on most maps.
At the Bay Area Brawl yesterday my army won 5-0. That's 5-0 with five different players, I only played & won with them in the first match:

Cyprien
Phantom Knights x3
Krav Maga
460 pts.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalThanos86 View Post
Just an interesting tidbit. Check out the NHSD 2010 results thread and look at how many 1st place armies had 10th Regiment of the Foot in them.
Suck on it 4th! I propose that the 10th be moved above the 4th by any means possible... Anyone second the motion?
I don't know. I've very rarely had trouble with the 10th, and I've never wanted to play them. I lost to them on Saturday, but I lost to just about everything on Saturday.

If there were more Q9's at TTO VI, I think Sterling wouldn't have won it all.

Not to take anything away from his victory, but Redcoats do very well when Q9 doesn't show up, but if he does, it's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Just an interesting tidbit. Check out the NHSD 2010 results thread and look at how many 1st place armies had 10th Regiment of the Foot in them.
Suck on it 4th! I propose that the 10th be moved above the 4th by any means possible... Anyone second the motion?
I don't know. I've very rarely had trouble with the 10th, and I've never wanted to play them. I lost to them on Saturday, but I lost to just about everything on Saturday.

Not to take anything away from his victory, but Redcoats do very well when Q9 doesn't show up, but if he does, it's a different story.
I think it really depends on what the Redcoats are paired with. One of the reasons they're better than the 4th Mass is they can be paired with any figure and not lose anything. For the record, I beat a Q9/Hydra/Raelin/WoA army with Redcoats/Marcus/Raelin/AE (Here, Game 5) and Sterling beat an army with Q9/10th/Dividers and one with Q10/Krav/Microcorp (Here, Games 2 and 3)

Last edited by S1R_ART0R1US; October 17th, 2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: 10>4
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think it really depends on what the Redcoats are paired with. One of the reasons they're better than the 4th Mass is they can be paired with any figure and not lose anything. For the record, I beat a Q9/Hydra/Raelin/WoA army with Redcoats/Marcus/Raelin/AE (Here, Game 5) and Sterling beat an army with Q9/10th/Dividers and one with Q10/Krav/Microcorp (Here, Games 2 and 3)
That guy in game 2 had Q10, not Q9, he made an error in the BR.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That underlined line gets repeated way too many times that people decide to believe it.

Quote:
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

That underlined line gets repeated way too many times that people decide to believe it.
Right, I paired 4th with Nilfheim at NHSD and didn't lose anything.
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

With the increase in melee armies, the 10th have many good matchups. The 10th does have a small advantage over the 4th when playing against melee armies in that they can move one or two figures (getting bayonette attack) while keeping the melee defense. Even recognizing this, overall, the 4th are still better.
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Champion of Champions

ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker

We can beat this dead horse so many times over... but the basics are that both the 4th mass and 10th foot typically beat melee based armies. The 10th get a slight edge due to bayonet however, that extra cost of 5 per squad can get kind of annoying when building an army. The 10th foot at an A isn't awful, but the 4th mass are still much better against ranged based armies. And if you want to use the 4th mass with Raelin, more power to you(just ask Ohio's NHSD winner).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion