Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Notices

Old November 12th, 2021, 09:58 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Quarterfinals until 11/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
Wow, the Amberhive Queen had a 3-0 showing in the Quarterfinals.
I think the map had a very beneficial size to accommodate the Bees and it likely surprised some people.
Old November 12th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
Wow, the Amberhive Queen had a 3-0 showing in the Quarterfinals.
I think the map had a very beneficial size to accommodate the Bees and it likely surprised some people.
Absolutely - my bees needed two activations to go across the map to the Mercenary pod right outside KoS’s SZ, and in the late game I could move the Queen once to get into engagement. Flying really boosts the mobility of the bee squad, so they usually have good board in the beginning.

I think there is also a learning curve. In all three games with the Queen I had before playoffs she lost, including the first where I ran the same army against a different Janos build (with Bambina, Maekor, and GSWs)
Old November 12th, 2021, 02:33 PM
I'm Feeling Inspired To Play Some Gladiators

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Lost to Vydar's GF. The bees are misleadingly good. And the Queen only amplifies that. Honestly, I think the queen is actually best suited with the red ants from what I've seen.

Byrikon is also quite impressive with the bees. An easy bonding option for the bees akin to MBS.

Kalagrith was a letdown... Part of the problem was my strategy with her. I like the idea of using her with Crypt Guardians instead of Greenscales. In games I have played with Kalagrith, it requires a totally different playstyle than all other dragons. I think she would honestly have more flexibility without a screen. Would it be crazy to ask for one more attack die? I feel like I find myself using Kalagrith's normal attack more than any other dragon. Perhaps 6 attack would really make her a better weapon offensively?
Old November 15th, 2021, 12:52 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Semifinals until 11/29

The Semifinals are on Gambit (Dagmar, Lodin).

The Vydar's Girlfriend (4-1) v. KnightofLight (4-1) pool of armies is:
* The Golden Queen: Greenscale Warriors x4, Kalagrith, Kaemon Awa, Eldgrim the Viking Champion
* The Bee Queen: Amberhive Protectors x4, Amberhive Queen, Byrikon the Hiveless, Major Q10, Siiv
* Vortex spears : cathar spearmen X3, Altias of the Deep, Count Raymond, Byrikon the hiveless
* Marcus Decimus Antus : Red Ants of Aunstrum x4, Kaemon Awa, Amberhive Queen, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Gen. Simon Fraser, Marcu Esenwein
Vydar's Girlfriend chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, KnightofLight chooses who places first.
Please contact Vydar_XLIII to schedule games with Vydar's gf

The S1R_ART0R1US (4-1) v. dok (4-1) pool of armies is:
* Buzz-killers: Amberhive Protectors x4, Byrikon the Hiveless, Amberhive Queen, Sujoah
* Fire From Above: Greenscale Warriors x4, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Syvarris
* Arby's new Bacon, Rats, and Lizard special: deathreavers x1, Janos, Bambina, Rygarn, Maekor, Raelin (RotV)
* Sci Fi Double Feature: Greenscale Warriors x3, Goblin Slashers x2, Altais of the Deep, Ziggo, Kyntela Gwyn, Bol
S1R_ART0R1US chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, dok chooses who places first.
Old November 21st, 2021, 06:00 PM

KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker

Vydar’s GF and I will be playing today at 5pm pacific time!
Old November 21st, 2021, 06:29 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
The Vydar's Girlfriend (4-1) v. KnightofLight (4-1) pool of armies is:
* The Golden Queen: Greenscale Warriors x4, Kalagrith, Kaemon Awa, Eldgrim the Viking Champion
* The Bee Queen: Amberhive Protectors x4, Amberhive Queen, Byrikon the Hiveless, Major Q10, Siiv
* Vortex spears : cathar spearmen X3, Altias of the Deep, Count Raymond, Byrikon the hiveless
* Marcus Decimus Antus : Red Ants of Aunstrum x4, Kaemon Awa, Amberhive Queen, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Gen. Simon Fraser, Marcu Esenwein
Vydar's Girlfriend chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, KnightofLight chooses who places first.
Please contact Vydar_XLIII to schedule games with Vydar's gf
These are the armies.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old November 21st, 2021, 10:23 PM

KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker

Just finished my game with Vydar's Girlfriend. I Got the win. Round one saw Q10 positioning against Altias. I set a trap on turn three having it on the bees. The trap went pretty much as well as it could have when Altias flew to close to the start zone in an attempt to vortex breath 7 bees. A very unfortunate 1/3 skulls started the downward spiral as it killed only 2 bees. I used Insect strategic bonding to have 5 bees engage the dragon while the 6th flew over to dagmar. It took 4 sacrificial sting special attacks to take down the dragon, one extra due to frenzied swarm. This cost Vydar's GF her third order marker. At the end of round one I had lost 5 bees, and she had lost Altias.

Round 2 started with a 20-20 initiative roll, but due to my bee buzzing around on dagmar, I won. The round continued as Q10 pinged at advancing Cathar. Cathar lost I think 3-4 members by round's end and killed my bee on Dagmar.

Round 3 started with Q10 running out to try and take down more cathar, he killed one and was then atacked by 3 cathar taking 2 wounds. Again I had a trap set with my turn 3 on the bees, so I retreated Q10 to the jungle tree right out side my start zone. The cathar pursued but Q10's defense held out. Turn three, the bees sprang into action again, this time bonding with the queen who took a braced spear strike wound aided by lodin. I think I actually forgot to attack with her thinking back on it now, which is funny, but the bees used sacrificial sting to kill 2 more cathar.

At the start of round four, there were 5 cathar left I think. I felt confident in +10 initiative(+2 from 2 order markers on Byrkion and +8 from dagmar), so i put order marker one on Brykion, 2 on Q10, and 3 on the protectors. To my amazement, Vydar's GF won her first and only initiative of the game that round. The cathar led and dealt a wound to the queen, as well as taking out another bee. Brykion got his order marker one and barely manged a 1/4-0/5 attack on one of the cathar. The cathar jumped up 2 figures on lava, one towards my start zone in the east, and then the last one towards dagmar. Their attacks were blocked, and then Q10 killed the one in the east. She sent out Byrkion on her turn 3, and then in response I used my bees to bond with my Brykion to attack down on her Byrkion from the central 4 height lava, dealing 1 wound. Finally, I grabbed dagmar, developed 2 bees, and had one engage Bryikion, dealing another wound. the round ended with 2 of the 3 remaining cathar dying to lava damage.

She then graciously conceded. She had 1 cathar, 2/3 Brykion, and full health Raymond. I had, 6 bees, 2/4 Queen, 1/3 Brykion, 2/4 Q10, and full health Siiv.
GG Vydar's Girlfriend!

The dice were certainly in my favor this game, she had some rotten luck:
Attack rolls: 21 out of 54 (38.89%)
Defense rolls: 21 out of 77 (27.27%)
Total dice rolled: 131

KnightOfLight
Attack rolls: 45 out of 80 (56.25%)
Defense rolls: 25 out of 68 (36.76%)
Total dice rolled: 148

Byrkion:
We used the updated version this game, and he seems very good in the bees build, because having an extra ranged bonder is super useful. Both rapid response and Hive mind integration did not come into play this game. Overall, I am happy with this design. I do wonder if giving him back +2 per order marker but maxing it out to +4/+6 would give him more versatility as a filler unit but he is also just fine as is.

Amberhive Queen:
The queen is great. I hit the one frenzied swarm attempt I made his game, and her evasive 2 continues to be very helpful.

Altias:
Here we go again. I think this is the 5th game I have seen Altias in action. And every single time, Altias duds out. She gets a single vortex breath in and dies. This is not so bad, but man oh man does 3 attack stink. When you attack 7 squad figures with 2 defense(2 had 3 because of jungle), and only kill 2, I have some concerns. I could chalk this up to very good order marker management and threat analysis, but this is the third game in a row that Altias has had the exact same event happen. I really, really like her, but I think something needs to be adjusted. Here are some of the ideas, Vydar's GF, Vydar, and I suggested as we were talking the game over.
Lower points to be closer to Othkurik, maybe 140-150.
Increase defense and points, I.E. 4D 185 points (Vydar points out how similar to Zelrig this becomes)
Increase attack to 4 on Vortex breath, but limit it to 2-3 figures you can move.
Maybe having a modular attack roll depending on amount of figures affected, maybe 2 or less, 5 attack, 3-4 4 attack, 5-6 3 attack, 7+ 2 attack. That is very arbitrary, but its an example.
I would also not be opposed to giving her back the LEA's but reducing range down to 4.

I only type all this up because Altias is an awesome dragon, with an insanely cool special, and when she eventually comes out, I really want to have a reason to use her over Nilfheim. C3V is doing a great job, so I know the purple dragon is in good hands!
Old November 22nd, 2021, 06:25 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
* Buzz-killers: Amberhive Protectors x4, Byrikon the Hiveless, Amberhive Queen, Sujoah
* Arby's new Bacon, Rats, and Lizard special: deathreavers x1, Janos, Bambina, Rygarn, Maekor, Raelin (RotV)
* Sci Fi Double Feature: Greenscale Warriors x3, Goblin Slashers x2, Altais of the Deep, Ziggo, Kyntela Gwyn, Bol
S1R_ART0R1US chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, dok chooses who places first.
Playing tonight at 6 pm Pacific. I have Fire From Above, dok has Arby’s Special.
Old November 23rd, 2021, 01:57 PM
Under Taro's Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Quote:
Playing tonight at 6 pm Pacific. I have Fire From Above, dok has Arby’s Special.
Dok got the win with a full Rygarn and partial life Janos and Bambina left.

I started off sniping with Syvarris taking out a rat and putting one on Raelin, and dok made a great move with Rygarn to move an OM onto the deathreavers and pin Syvarris down. We battled near the 4 height lava that Janos was sitting on, boosted by Raelin, and I ended up losing two OMs when Syvarris fell. Kalagrith fended off attacks well before jumping in the fray. She took two LEAs and was able to finish off Raelin with her a GSW that had been moving along the backside.

Kalagrith was finished off after flying back to try and roast the mercenary pod, and I transitioned to Marro Warriors. They didn’t do much, especially with the last being being caught by Janos on an initiative switch when attempting to get to a nice water clone spot. GSWs almost made me think they could comeback after killing Maekor.

Thoughts on units:

Bambina - She’s a tank for sure, and combat challenge made it so I couldn’t ignore her. Power level seems right- graviton excluding molten lava is much needed.

Janos - Still good even with the changes, should definitely by permanent. I like that you can mix and match explorers/Mercs with him. Getting multiple attacks with heroes does a lot for board control. I found myself struggling to bring up GSWs (either to replenish fallen troops or to be able to maneuver for height/even ground) even though we were closer to my side than dok’s. I will note that 550 is a higher point total and there would be tough choices on who to bring with him at 450-500. I’d be curious to know when Rygarn would get dropped. Etiana+Maekor+Janos+Bambina gives good bonding options at 430, with reavers x1 at 470, x2 or Raelin at 510, or a squad of GSW at 490.

Maekor - Plasma arc is killer against squad figures. On a Janos turn I could lose 4 figures. That’s pretty awesome and eats any 3-figure melee squad. And even if Rygarn wasn’t here the Bambina+Maekor bonding is strong. Plus he can bond with Greenscales. I think he might be the best Merc, and could see a slight nerf to plasma arc to make him a bit more of a cheerleader role that fits his other powers. The range 3 on it feels excessive for a melee weapon, especially since it’s within distance of the defending figure, making it more similar to range 4.

Kalagrith - I would support some changes because of how high variance she is and how different she plays to the other dragons, which I like a lot. I used her special three times and normal once and got 1/5 (norm), 1/4 (two targets), 3/4 (3 targets), and 1/4 (Janos, Bambina and Maekor after Raelin died). That’s just as many targets as Othkurik/Moltenclaw/Nilf/Quahon/Braxas/etc would be getting, but at a much higher risk level (she ended engaged all but once, just one space out of engagement). I would rather have any of those than Kalagrith. Yes, even Othkurik-he can swoop in with up to 7A if you need the assassin role that Kalagrith can play with high move and 5A and he can also sit behind a screen with acid breath, plus he saves 20 points so I could swap a squad of GSW for Raelin. It’s rare that Kalagrith gets to affect multiple figures that are not adjacent, so her special isn’t quite as powerful as it may seem comparatively. A life bump would offset her taking LEAs to attack multiple figures. I think another attack die on the special could be interesting to lean in more to her aggro role, or an extra defense. That would put her life/defense slightly better than Zelrig/Nilf, but they both have more powerful ranged attacks.
Old November 24th, 2021, 10:31 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

The Finals are on Playtesting Map #1 (Treasure Glyph x3).

The KnightofLight (5-1) v. dok (5-1) pool of armies is:
KnightofLight chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, dok chooses who places first.
Old November 24th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Finals until 12/8

Dok and I will be playing tonight around 6pm pacific time. He has Vortex Spears, I’ve got Marcus Decimus Antus.
Old November 24th, 2021, 07:36 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Finals until 12/8

EDIT:

I pulled off the win for, I believe, my third PT event win in four tries.

I opened with Altais while KoL opened with Kaemon. I declined the Byrikon-boosted initiative win so that I'd only get hit twice by Kaemon that turn. Kaemon got 4 wounds with the first quick release attacks, but Altais flew past him and killed 5 ants plus 2 wounds on Simon by bombing the queen. Kaemon remarkably failed to wound on OM3, and after taking a LEA wound Altais killed another 5 ants on OM3. I did win initiative, but Altais whiffed on her breath attack.

Kaemon ran and grabbed the defense treasure glyph but failed to damage Altais with a long range shot. The spearmen started to close in and Kaemon turned his attention there, but 5 defense with jungle bush held up pretty well, and the spearmen started grinding away with 3v6 attacks on Kaemon's perch.

Altais activated again to start round 3 and got another 5 ants, plus a wound on Marcu. This brought Altais's final tally to 15 ants, 2 wounds on Simon, and a wound on Marcu. Youch.

The rest of the game wasn't super eventful. Spears did spear things, Kaemon's 6 defense whiffed. Evasive was good against spears but not enough.

Thoughts on units:

Altais - it's funny. The Zelrig analogy is an obvious one, but it it's zelrig then KoL spends 2 OMs spreading out and he's fine. With Altais you're both less concerned (because the carnage is less guaranteed) but also less inclined to try to prevent it (because vortex breath is harder to dodge). This is probably her best haul of the entire tournament, but it's easy to see how this could have gone much worse even in this relatively favorable setup.

Queen - never got to use her frenzy powers. Evasive was nice but I still was just going to make her eat every braced spear roll.

Byrikon - never activated. The one time I could have used the init boost I didn't.

Last edited by dok; November 24th, 2021 at 09:33 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting