Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old December 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Arrow Gruts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I know it can be said of everything, but Raelin definitely helps the swogs and arrow gruts stick around more.
Still a good point though Jexik, especially with the Gruts. Raelin with Minions for example is simply overkill, and possibly a waste.

-insert signature here-
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Custom Fire Arrow Grut Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Somewhere in here, I believe, is that exact idea. I liked it when I first saw it then, too.
Thanks. The post is here.

However, I was looking for something like this:

Fire Arrow Gruts
Orcs
Common Squad
Archers
Medium 4
70 points
3 figures

Move 5
Range 6
Attack 2
Defense 2

Beast Bonding
Before taking a turn with the Fire Arrow Gruts, you may first take a turn with any beast you control.

Disengage
Fire Arrow Gruts are never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Last edited by MegaSilver; August 6th, 2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Let people know this is a discussion about a custom figure that is still interesting to look at.
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm trying to figure out how to use these guys effectively. In the past my strategy has always been focus on setting up the Swog/Arrow Pod and then bringing in Mimring, and then have Krug for cleanup.

What about this strategy instead?

Send in the Arrow Gruts with Mimring, and get the Arrow Gruts in place while Mimring creates a diversion. Then, when the time is right send in a swog or two to help the Arrows, then save Krug for cleanup.

I'm also curious what figures are good glyph grabbers in this army? The Arrows are very frail, so they don't hold glyphs well. I thought about the swogs, but you typically don't have many swogs in your army.

~Rednax
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Send in the Arrow Gruts with Mimring, and get the Arrow Gruts in place while Mimring creates a diversion. Then, when the time is right send in a swog or two to help the Arrows, then save Krug for cleanup.
The last couple time s he's played this army, my brother has ripped me apart with this strategy (of course always rolling at least 3 skulls with Fireline helps )

Quote:
I'm also curious what figures are good glyph grabbers in this army? The Arrows are very frail, so they don't hold glyphs well. I thought about the swogs, but you typically don't have many swogs in your army.
Mebbe Krug? He's slow, but thanks to Bonding it doesn't cost any OMs to move him, and once you get him parked on a Glyph he can pretty much lock in there-if your opponent tries to attack him to drive him off it will only make him stronger.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:32 AM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Somewhere in here, I believe, is that exact idea. I liked it when I first saw it then, too.
Thanks. The post is here.

However, I was looking for something like this:

Fire Arrow Gruts
Orcs
Common Squad
Archers
Medium 4
70 points
3 figures

Move 5
Range 6
Attack 2
Defense 2

Beast Bonding
Before taking a turn with the Fire Arrow Gruts, you may first take a turn with any beast you control.

Disengage
Fire Arrow Gruts are never attacked when leaving an engagement.
That's how I pictured them. Although, if swords turn into spears, I believe that bows turn into crossbows... (Now I just need my pa-terodactyl riding orc champion!)

I feel like when I play with the Arrow Gruts, its a hit-or-miss army... I usually back up my arrow pod with Nerak (thank you W10!), and usually gives the cheap(er than raelin) themed unit.
Old August 16th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
The last couple time s he's played this army, my brother has ripped me apart with this strategy (of course always rolling at least 3 skulls with Fireline helps )
Most of the times it takes the Swog Rider only one or two order markers to get into position anyways, where as it takes the AG's two or three. Not to mention, that the Arrow Gruts can sort of get in the way of the Swog Rider, as they're moving up.

Quote:
Quote:
Mebbe Krug? He's slow, but thanks to Bonding it doesn't cost any OMs to move him, and once you get him parked on a Glyph he can pretty much lock in there-if your opponent tries to attack him to drive him off it will only make him stronger.
Krug is a good idea. While Mimring's taking care of business, you might as well have Krug sitting on a glyph (preferably a strong one), rather than just sitting in your start zone.

~Rednax
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM

Overlord Hikash is surprisingly tart

Had a 1,000 point Grut army last time we played. I got a unit of Arrow Gruts onto a hillside with Swog riders in front and behind. They completely controlled that road section. The Knights of Weston who continually tried to move forward got shredded.

All was fine and good until Captain America busted his shield all over their faces. Easily one of the best (and cheapest) squads out there. Fragile if used improperly, deadly when used to their potential.
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:20 AM

ladidadi.davis Woo who?

I used a single squad of these guys alongside Krug in a 1000 point Utgar hero army (Ornak shenanigans and all that). For funsies I drafted Taelord too (who actually proved to be quite the star play that game). I got Taelord in position early and then moved Syvarris up so he was within 4 spaces of Taelord and in range of my friend's starting zone. Needless to say, that quickly became a very happening place on the battle field.

I brought my archers up while Krug went to the other side of the battle field to meet up with his advancing Deathwalkers and Zettians (It was getting pretty crowded around Taelord anyway). So the gruts came in gaining a Taelord boost and two of them grabbing height. They put a wound or two on Su-Bak-Na and killed a stinger or two.

Moral of the story is that I learned just how mobile these guys are. Disengage never came into play, but it's still handy. But their move of six got them into range of the fray quickly and were able to do a bit of damage.
Old December 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Anihalac Woo who?

I definitely agree, though i have an all orc army anyway. i've got two sets of these guys.

VS

Heroscape is unfair...
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anihalac View Post
I definitely agree, though i have an all orc army anyway. i've got two sets of these guys.
FYI, it is something along the lines of "impolite" to post in a thread that has not been recently active unless you have something significant to add to the conversation. "I agree" is not usually considered significant.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:43 AM

sam268 is surprisingly tart

These guys aren't bad when paired with some blades and grimnak. Although I always wonder why nobody has mentioned how easily syvarris can single handedly kill these guys, or is it just me?
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Tooooon is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam268 View Post
These guys aren't bad when paired with some blades and grimnak. Although I always wonder why nobody has mentioned how easily syvarris can single handedly kill these guys, or is it just me?
Thats why you send in Krug or Grimnak and either obliterate or eat him

I find the Arrow Gruts best when on maps with height 10+, since 3 attack dice with a single figure costing less than 15 points is pretty damn awesome

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units