Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old May 30th, 2018, 01:10 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astroking112's Custom Units [Update 5/19/18]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I'm fine with that sort of distribution if the box itself includes full multiples of the commons, like SOTM. One box is "enough" so to speak.

I'd be able to say more when I got my hands on one, of course. I'll look out on ebay and let you know.
SotM is a good precedent, and I'll look into keeping the Common Squads to a 3-person squad to ensure that people at least get two copies with one set.

That doesn't solve the issue of the Heavy Tackler, though, unfortunately. I guess I may have to toy with a more durable Unique/Uncommon version to see if I can come up with something that people will need fewer of.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:20 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I just picked ip a box for $5.50 on ebay, I'll let you know when I get it.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:22 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Alright. That sounds like a pretty good price... I may have to pick up a second set for myself.
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:10 PM

Re: Astroking112's Custom Units [Update 5/30/18]

I went ahead and made a lot of changes to the existing units in this thread. Here's what's new:

Black Harts
Prompted by the recent discussion with @Pumpkin_King , I've changed the Black Harts to be a 3-figure squad instead of a 4-figure one. This should provide more value to the box, since people will now get two full squads instead of just one and a half.

To better suit the Black Harts to their new roles, I made their Group Tackle bonus work for every Black Hart engaged to the enemy, instead of every other one. I have also dropped the price by 10 points to account for the lost attack, although they should be individually more deadly now.

Heavy Tackler
To better accommodate the future Black Hart heroes, I reworked the Heavy Tackler as follows:
  • Increased the Heavy Tackler's cost to 35 from 30.
  • Decreased his attack to 3 from 4.
  • Increased his defense to 5 from 4.
  • Changed his ability Throw 14 to Throw 12.
  • Changed the Heavy Tackler's ability Team Player to read as follows: "...you may take a turn with one Athlete Squad or Unique Hero that you control that follows Einar."
This decreases his individual lethality with the lowered attack (slightly necessary since the Black Harts are now stronger, and there are future "bonding" options in store), but his survivability has been given a buff to compensate. Since the Black Harts are so easy to kill, he should now be able to last a little longer and provide some durability to the army.

His Throw has also been given a 10% activation buff, which is nice for being able to more consistently bypass defense and reposition targets for the Black Harts. The slight bump in price better reflects his value, in my opinion, and it also keeps him from just being used as a better Dumutef Guard.

Steel Ultimatus
He got some minor tweaks, namely increasing his Antigravity Leap Special Attack from 2 to 3 dice so that it can reliably deal some damage. As a cost for this buff, his normal attack has been decreased from 3 to 2 (so after he engages the enemy, he won't do a very good job of killing them).

Eltris
Also, the discussion over in the Pre-SoV Workshop about Eltris has prompted some changes to her. Nothing major has been changed yet (I've only been able to get in 3 playtests with her so far), but I went ahead and removed the Warlord Bonding synergy by changing her class to Rider.

Eternal Heartbreak is also now Rider's Heartbreak, which only deals 2 wounds to her if her Dragon Ally is destroyed. Given that she'll no longer be used outside of Dragon Builds, I'm also changing her ability "Dragon Rider" to only boost the Dragon Ally's Attack and Defense, while she will simply have the extra dice by default.

Last edited by Astroking112; May 30th, 2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added the Steel Ultimatus changes.
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Very good! This is really giving me inspiration for the "athlete" units I had in mind.
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Very good! This is really giving me inspiration for the "athlete" units I had in mind.
I'm glad to hear that, and I'll definitely check them out when you post them!
Old June 2nd, 2018, 08:40 PM

Re: Astroking112's Custom Units [Update 6/2/18]

I finally got the chance to make cards for many of the athlete heroes today, so I'd like to present the Heroes of the Field. Although I haven't posted the Iron Wolves pack yet, two (arguably 1.5) heroes for that faction were added, along with two Black Hart heroes to take advantage of the updated Heavy Tackler.

These heroes should all provide more variety to the burgeoning athlete faction(s), and I look forward to eventually sharing my ideas for the rest of the BattleBall box!

Stalwart the Forge - Unique Heavy Hitter Hero

Note: Stalwart the Forge is a double-spaced figure.

Miniature:
Spoiler Alert!

Traits and Abilities:
Spoiler Alert!

Thought Process:
Spoiler Alert!

Stalwart - Unique Pilot Hero

Miniature:
Spoiler Alert!

Traits and Abilities:
Spoiler Alert!

Thought Process:
Spoiler Alert!

Steel Auxilius - Unique Negation Hero

Miniature:
Spoiler Alert!

Traits and Abilities:
Spoiler Alert!

Thought Process:
Spoiler Alert!

Dark Isis - Unique Filler Hero

Miniature:
Spoiler Alert!

Traits and Abilities:
Spoiler Alert!

Thought Process:
Spoiler Alert!
Old June 4th, 2018, 12:56 PM

The Strange Traveler has disabled reputation

[deleted]

Last edited by The Strange Traveler; September 11th, 2021 at 01:53 AM.
Old June 4th, 2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Traveler View Post
Astroking112, I am glad to see some more Athlete units from you! Here are my comments on the new additions in Heroes of the Field.

Stalwart the Forge and Stalwart: (it seems natural to discuss the two of them together) I really like this duo! I see some parallels between them and Cyprien and Sonya; there is one primary unit (Stalwart the Forge, Cyprien) and one secondary unit that is like an optional upgrade (Stalwart, Sonya). Pilot also has some interesting uses beyond theme. It provides Order Marker insurance for the case of Stalwart the Forge dying with Order Markers on him, and it also provides Stalwart the Forge with immunity to Order Marker removing powers.

I think that their points are about correct. I believe that Grappling Claw 12 crosses into new territory by being a “pulling power” that has the ability to move double-spaced figures, but I think that it should be fine. Pilot having you put Order Markers on a unit that is not in play is also fine (and it’s not even crossing into new territory thanks to the Rechets of Bogdan). Standing alone, Stalwart seems a little cheap, but after accounting for the limitations that Pilot enforces I think his price is good. Why is Stalwart Cunning instead of Tricky?
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts! I really appreciate the time that you've taken to look through my stuff.

I was definitely inspired by all the vampires when designing Stalwart and his Forge (it probably helped that I don't own any of the Esenweins, so I likely steered closer to them to even out my collection a little bit), which I think shows in how Stalwart is essentially a combination of Sonya and the Retchets of Bogdan.

Given the problems with Order Marker management on the Retchets (which would likely be amplified in this case, since you're never sure when the Forge is going to die), I thought it best to give Stalwart some Order Marker insurance. It also provides more of an incentive to use him, since you risk relatively little by adding him on (unlike the Retchets). I actually didn't think of how it protects the Forge from abilities like Entangling Web and most of the other Order Marker-removal powers, so I may need to bump up Stalwart's points ever so slightly in the future to compensate.

I similarly didn't think of how Grappling Claw 12 could pull double-spaced figures, so I'll have to fix that in the future. Even if it might not be too powerful, I think that dragging double-spaced figures could get a little too messy (and I don't quite buy that claw pulling a Heavy Tackler over to his position). I was looking at Major X17 around the time that I was designing this guy, so I must've taken the "Improved Cyberclaw" as an inspiration without fully considering the headaches that it could cause.

I'd agree that Stalwart is worth more than his points, but I like the duo adding up to an even 200 points, and he can't be taken without his Forge anyway. I made him Cunning largely because it was a Personality that we don't see often, while Tricky is used quite a bit. I also think it's slightly more fitting for a mechanic, but that's just personal preference. The lack of Tricky synergy also makes it slightly easier to justify his low cost, but I doubt that he'd be used much in those builds anyway.

Quote:
Steel Auxilius: I think this guy is just awesome. Of course, it only makes sense when you consider that Kira Jax is one of my favorite C3V units. There are certainly some Rulings and Clarifications to be made, but I think that the payoff in gameplay is worth it. There are just so many fun, interesting, and strategic uses for Negation Drive. I agree that throwing Steel Auxilius into position with a Heavy Tackler would be fun, but I think that Theracus is likely a better choice (more reliable and less dangerous). I think that his best use will be to somehow quickly get into position adjacent to an enemy cheerleader, so the rest of your army can then lay on the hurt to the bonus-lacking enemy while they try to deal with the dilemma. Lastly, I think that his points are roughly correct.
I was actually the most nervous about this guy, so it's great to hear that you like him so much! I'd agree that the payoff in gameplay is worth the headaches he might cause, and I'm sure that there are even more ways to use him that I didn't even think of (like the Theracus bomb that you mentioned). He's definitely terrifying when paired with Theracus, but the relatively low offensive potential (combined with the practical 140 point sacrifice) should stop it from breaking anything.

It'll also be interesting to see how he forces players with cheerleaders to react--will they put more Order Markers on their Raelin in case they need to take a leaving engagement strike, or just focus on killing Steel Auxilius with the rest of their army?--which I think is a good thing.

Quote:
Dark Isis: I think Dark Isis seems balanced as is, but if you find her too weak, then I would increase her defense to 3, not give her Disengage. In my opinion, Disengage takes away some of the fun tension of figures like this by making it less impactful if you fail to kill your target. Also, why is her first power named Team Assist 2 instead of Sneak Attack 2? The power’s effect is the same as the effect of Sneak Attack 2.
I also prefer the 3 defense, since it'll make her a little more durable (and I feel we normally see Disengage on cheap fillers), but the power was still something that I was considering. The fact that it'll remove some of the tension is a great point, and I'll definitely keep it in mind if I need to buff her. It'll be interesting to see how she fairs, and if she has any uses outside of a Black Hart build.

I did take Sneak Attack 2 as the basis for Team Assist 2 (they're actually just about verbatim the same), but I renamed the power to make it slightly more thematic, as in the case of Master Win Chiu Woo's Master's Assault. I thought Sneak Attack sounded more like a rogue than an athlete, so I figured that a slight name change wouldn't hurt.
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:34 AM

Nice! I actually did receive my figures, I’ll post some more thoughts when I get home.
Old June 6th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Nice! I actually did receive my figures, I’ll post some more thoughts when I get home.
That's great to hear! I look forward to seeing your thoughts.
Old June 10th, 2018, 12:42 AM

The VC currently uses the Mechwarrior Solaris VII Heavy-Class pack for four figures (Deathcommander Mark 3, Major J15, Executioner 616, and the in-playtesting Deltacron), but there are two more figures in the box. Since good mecha figures are hard to come by, I wanted to design something utilizing one of the open sculpts:

This is what I have so far. I thought that the red color scheme and overall design could blend in somewhat with the other Vulcanmechs (at least as much as Zetacron does with the Omnicron Snipers), expanding Valkrill's SoulBorg "faction" a little bit. Here's a picture of the mini for reference:

The dual missile launchers on the mini's back begged for an explosion attack, but I thought that it should be unique from the others. I originally left it as a version of Deathwalker 9000's attack that could simply be used twice, but I thought that this version would be more balanced by not allowing the same figures to be affected more than once per turn. This wording also evokes classic missile lock-on systems in many of the games that I've played, wherein all the targets are selected before any missiles actually fire, which I think is a nice touch.

The other defining aspect of this mini to me was that it was a walker-styled mecha instead of the SoulBorgs that we normally see. We don't see many benefits for Small figures (other than Warden 816's Evisceraxe Special Attack, I don't know of any), so I thought that essentially giving them Phantom Walk against him was a fun negative power that makes sense, while not crippling his use.

I'd like to get this guy through the SoV at some point (and as a standalone hero, he will be far easier to test than Eltris), so I'd appreciate any feedback and thoughts on the overall direction for him that anyone wants to offer.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards