Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old October 21st, 2009, 12:09 AM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker
Aspiring teen artist making free commissions.

As some of my fellow teens in the hangout may know, I am currently pursuing a carrer in Illustration. To hone such skills, I have a cartoony comic strip I update often, and a deviantart I keep active.

To try to spread the word and get more practice, I'm starting up a commissioned drawing service. For now, I have a very small fanbase, and, quite frankly, I'm not good enough to charge much more then a few bucks. So I'm going to make them free for now, if I get loads of requests, I'll put on a small fee.

Right now all I ask is for feedback.

Email me ( Tim_james63@ymail.com ) With a detailed discription of a single character. They will be done in color with a solid background.

Drawings will be done in pencil and inked, then colored and shaded in Photoshop, emailed back and posted here and on my deviantart.

please specify either a cartoon style (see my comic) or a more detailed, slightly manga-esque style (see deviantart). Nothing R-rated please.

As these are free. I will not have a set time, but expect anywhere from one day to three.

You can look at my deviantart and my comic (Both in my sig) to see my work.

Disclaimer: If anyone is not happy with my work, I am sorry. but please don't give me crap. As said, I'm a Newb. I'm bound to not be the best. But constructive critique will be fully welcomed.

Works in progress:
1)Fuzzie Fuzz = Complete!
2)Madmeower = complete!
3)Supersonic = Linework.
4)Claws of death = concept.

~Z~

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/

Last edited by zanter; October 25th, 2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker
Re: Aspiring teen artist making free commissions.

First commission, from Fuzzie Fuzz, is complete.

I'm a bit unhappy with the face, a bit to wide and the expression is off, but otherwise I think I did a pretty good job on the piece.

~Z~

I do art. Check it out.

Last edited by zanter; October 21st, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Second commission complete.

~Z~

I do art. Check it out.

Old October 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Zanter...let me give ya a little bit of advice on how to become a better artist.

TRACING PAPER!!!!

I'm not joking...get some tracing paper and practice tracing pictures done by experienced artists. Do them over and over and soon you will subliminally train your brain to make your hands draw better.
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

I would advise a study of perspective and proportions to help you improve your drawing, often times just knowing how something works helps you improve a hundredfold on your capabilities (trust me, I know, I myself am an artist)

With a little more specific criticism, your first commision's eyes appear to require the most work. The character's right eye looks like it's wandering off on its own a bit.

Your style does look good though and, after you've improved on the small points, it will definitely grow.

I make these points because it looks like you're trying to create more realistic looking characters (although still in cartoon). If, though, you were to attempt to create more comical or strange figures (like my brother) then just adding more of a quirkiness to the style would be a better path.

You're on the right track, though! Keep on workin at it, that's the key.

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Old October 25th, 2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

TRACING PAPER!!!!
Hmn, I really have shyed away from simple tracing for the most part, prefeering to use grid or copy by eye. But I'll try it out, I'm open to anything that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanNinja View Post
I would advise a study of perspective and proportions to help you improve your drawing, often times just knowing how something works helps you improve a hundredfold on your capabilities (trust me, I know, I myself am an artist)
Thanks, I have heard the strengths of these classes, and hope to take some.

Currently, I am homeschooled, but taking art classes at the local high school. Sadly, to get into the Advanced drawing/painting classes I want, I need to work through some all-medium classes to qualify.
Quote:
With a little more specific criticism, your first commision's eyes appear to require the most work. The character's right eye looks like it's wandering off on its own a bit.
Yeah, I had a hayday trying to get that correct, I might edit that piece to fix the eyes.

Quote:

I make these points because it looks like you're trying to create more realistic looking characters (although still in cartoon). If, though, you were to attempt to create more comical or strange figures (like my brother) then just adding more of a quirkiness to the style would be a better path.
My current goal is for two styles, a simple, quirky style for my webcomic (Sig) and a serious, Manga-influenced style for my hoped graphic novels I want to create.

My commissions Atm has been a blend, drawing in my Graphic novel level of detail, but some of that is lost in the coloring.

~Z~

I do art. Check it out.

Old October 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

Very cool, I myself was a homeschooler through all of high school. Don't be too bummed about doing any all-medium classes though. Just working a little bit in unusual mediums can give you insight into how to create form.

Old October 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

If you are taking suggestions to develop skills, I would suggest practice drawing things with bold gestures while looking at models or pictures you would like to copy.

Draw on big paper with charchol, pastels, anything you can't really "erase". Concentrate on drawing what you "see" not what you "think" is there or how you think it should look. Only draw what you see. Sometimes it helps to look at the picture you are drawing from upside down. This helps you concentrate on drawing only what you see since your mind has trouble recognizing the object as a face, person, flowers, or whatever it is you are drawing.

Practicing drawing this way will train your eyes and hands to draw in a more narural way learning proportion and scale along the way. Practice by drawing as many real things as you can. Looking at stuff around you in you life as models and pictures of real things.

Not that i am the greatest artist in the world but I have taken some college art classes and these are some of the first things they always cover.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I have to agree with Onacara here: use tracing paper. My older brother (maybe a few of you remember the Cyprien drawing I posted LINK) began to be obsessed with being an artist when he was pretty young. Since he was little, he had no problem using tracing paper. He would just trace out of random books, etc. Nowadays, he can draw basically anything, and is really good at it, too.
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Also, I would SERIOUSLY recommend getting a tablet.

This way you could either totally skip the pencil phase or, when it does get to photoshop, you could be that much more neat and awesome with photoshop.
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Never skip the pencil phase! That's like playing Heroscape without reading the instructions!

I'm not against the tablet, just don't lose the pencil, drawing on a computer (essentially) is very different from paper and pencil.

Old October 25th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Also, I would SERIOUSLY recommend getting a tablet.

This way you could either totally skip the pencil phase or, when it does get to photoshop, you could be that much more neat and awesome with photoshop.

I have one. A wacom Bamboo Pen and touch.

I normally draw with real medium then touch up and color in Photoshop with the tablet.

~Z~

I do art. Check it out.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General