Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 14th, 2020, 01:26 AM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ulysses' Maps (2 New Scraps Maps 3/2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Not gunna lie - that rotating picture is pretty cool! How'd you do that?? Was it a screencast that you uploaded to google drive?
I just downloaded some freeware called ScreenToGif, it did all the hard work and was fairly easy to use. I used it to screen capture VS then saved it as a .gif and shared the link through Drive. I was pretty pleased that it displayed correctly. I'm definitely keeping it installed!

Quote:

1) I love the clear start zones, the overall size of the map, and it certainly looks great. Overall it looks like a very inviting map to play.
Thank you! I'm glad it doesn't seem too small, I almost quit working on it for that reason alone, but I liked the footprint so I forged ahead anyhow.

Quote:
3) Overall I have two main concerns, and a couple other smaller suggestions. My first concern is the restrictiveness of the map. There are a lot of choke points throughout the map. While a few choke points typically aren't a bad thing, I feel like it could be quite frustrating to play against rats or any other screen type army on this map as it currently is. There is another thing to consider when a map is too restrictive, and that is can units reasonably fit on the various parts of the map? If you have spaces on the map where some of the bigger figures can't get to (or at least threaten - meaning they can move adjacent to that space), then you've got a major problem. A tournament map can't prevent someone from playing a particular army because of the way that map is set up.
I always struggle with choke points. It usually happens that I'll fix one and a new one springs up shuffling terrain around. I play tested some Goblin Cutters on it and even though they were falling fast it was too easy for them to clog up passages. A few revisions ago there were less wall pieces. I'll see if I can widen things up and cut down while keeping the theme.
The large figures issue is certainly an oversight here. I haven't been playing any builds with huge figs recently and I really should've moved Nilf or someone around the board a bit. Great advice!

Quote:
The next concern is the three hex dungeon tile on level three right next to the start zone. If I was running range, I would definitely take advantage of that.

For the terrain you have available, I feel like you've done well at trying to utilize it effectively. However, there might be a couple sections you'll want to think about some more. The area around the central rock is really choppy - it has a lot of up and down with battlements and elevation changes. I'm most worried about the single battlements that are closest to the tallest part of the rock outcrop (they are attached to road tiles). Also, some of the shadow tiles are placed in areas where they likely won't see any use - it would be better to try and use them in places where a unit threatening a key position can benefit from the defensive bonus. To explain what I mean by that, think about where ranged units are likely to try and situate themselves, and put the shadow tiles in a place that would help melee units threaten that position or provide them additional cover as they try and get there.
I can absolutely work on those three hexers, it'll be nice to have those freed up and do a little re-envisioning.
I knew that choppiness by the 3-hex outcrop was a problem. Part of me was thinking about nixing the shadow and the water there and leveling it out, also yes those battlements right there are pretty awful. I was thinking originally I'd have a back-stab path that made it easy to get on top of whoever perched there, but it's too easy to clog up as it is and those battlements just stifle movement too much.
Those shadows towards the bottom of the map have been moved probably 10 times and I know there's a better spot for them, I just have to find it. I need to think about it as you mentioned, helping figures threaten advantageous locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
2 additional thoughts:
- Try to keep the integrity of the map as you've currently designed it. Sometimes people will see our suggestions and go back to the drawing board and rework everything. Not so. What you have is working, but it does need some tweaking...so try to keep the map design - for the most part - the way you envisioned it...but the challenge here is now to make small shifts, adjustments and subtle changes that'll open up the map a little more, level it out and make it more refined.
Thank you for this! I had just about scrapped this build, but you guys have inspired me to keep at it!

Quote:
- The road. Right now it looks nice, but it's actually not really helping movement through the map. It's disconnected and relatively short, so most figures will really only get an extra space during their movement. Try to rethink how you want the road to be represented in this map in order to help with the flow of units.
So having the road disconnected was conscious, though I'm thinking a little misguided. My thought was that since the map was fairly tight, the movement would be quick enough without it, but now I'm thinking about Knights or Tarns and how I need to keep range at bay by letting melee get to them if I can.

Thank you so much guys! It's all very thoughtful, concise, and helpful. I'm absolutely going to keep revising this and I'll post my next version when I'm feeling good about it. Thanks for taking the time to take a critical look, you guys are awesome!
Old March 30th, 2020, 03:41 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ulysses' Maps (2 New Maps 4/2020)

2 new maps up!

Drider
Requires: 1 BftU and 1 FotA

Fen Hydro
Requires: 1 SotM and 1 TJ
Old March 30th, 2020, 06:18 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Significantly better! Loving the look of Drider!

Fen Hydro could you point out the Startzones? It's not immediately obvious and I'm concerned the glyphs will be to close to the SZ.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 30th, 2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Significantly better! Loving the look of Drider!

Fen Hydro could you point out the Startzones? It's not immediately obvious and I'm concerned the glyphs will be to close to the SZ.
Thanks! I've had some pretty fun games on it. Definitely plays much better.

Here's SZs for Fen Hydro (bad part about real photos unless I get some little stickers or something).

It's also been a surprisingly fun hap for having those prominent hills on either side. Seems like those who tried podding up there wouldn't last for more than a couple OMs before reinforcements could help out from the SZs. This of course also fits the terrain requirements for the competition so any suggestions are welcome as always.

Edit: Looks like there are quite a few SotM + TJ maps being submitted for the ARV competition and I've only just thrown this one together so this is not necessarily going to be my second submission, but it really has been an exciting map to play my last couple games.

Last edited by Ulysses; March 30th, 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old March 30th, 2020, 11:23 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Drider is looking much better! I like what you've done with it!

Fen Hydro is a cool concept! I'm gunna have to think about it a little bit, I only had a minute to glance. I'm concerned about developing out of the start zone and what that's going to look like on the map, but overall, I think it's got potential! I'll think about it some more and let you know.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old March 31st, 2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Drider is looking much better! I like what you've done with it!

Fen Hydro is a cool concept! I'm gunna have to think about it a little bit, I only had a minute to glance. I'm concerned about developing out of the start zone and what that's going to look like on the map, but overall, I think it's got potential! I'll think about it some more and let you know.
Yay! I'm glad I've made progress with it. It's certainly been more fun to play on and through the various revisions it's really drawn play out to the flanks more and more, which are the plays I've enjoyed most on Drider.

Fen Hydro all started with the SZs and trying to really stretch the terrain. There are gaps in lower levels of this build that I never thought would hold, but after many plays and cats walking across I can confidently say, it's rather sturdy. The start zones are very conscious in this map. It may be tempting to have your melee or range ready to charge a hill, but if you don't invest units towards the single swamp path on the outskirts, you either lose getting the glyph or the opportunity to contest it. It kind of played against our 'grab the hill' instincts and a surprising amount of our games were won or lost near the flats with units shifting around each other trying to eek out an advantage from height or/and jungle.
Old May 20th, 2020, 12:31 PM

Figured I'd post my outtake from the Spartan Scrolls competition. The glyph positions were inspired by some of the old BoV and Gen Con maps. Never was quite happy with it after a few revisions, so I figured I'd throw it up here if anyone wants to offer suggestions or tells me to scrap it all together

I bring you Descent at Beyst
Old May 20th, 2020, 01:31 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

That map name
Old May 20th, 2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
That map name
Thought you folks might enjoy that hahahaha
Old May 20th, 2020, 01:51 PM

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
That map name
Thought you folks might enjoy that hahahaha
That's hilarious!

I've definitely got a few thoughts for ya. First off, it looks really cool! The aesthetic is awesome. As of right now these are my biggest concerns:
1) The power of dragons on this map. Movement between the highest points on the map is very easy for Nilfheim (including dropping from the high position down to grab Kelda)
2) Building off number 1 - For a strong ranged and flying hero like Nilfheim, having two Keldas on the board that are so easily accessed by coming off those really high points makes that hero so much more powerful on this map.
3) The locations of height adjacent to the 6-hex glacier can be problematic because people load up figures on that height, and it turns into a game of "who's going to come down from their perch first?". This could be solved by making the height distribution not quite so "yours and mine" if you know what I mean.

That's all I got time for right now. I'll let you know if I think of more stuff to share!

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old May 20th, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I've definitely got a few thoughts for ya. First off, it looks really cool! The aesthetic is awesome. As of right now these are my biggest concerns:
1) The power of dragons on this map. Movement between the highest points on the map is very easy for Nilfheim (including dropping from the high position down to grab Kelda)
2) Building off number 1 - For a strong ranged and flying hero like Nilfheim, having two Keldas on the board that are so easily accessed by coming off those really high points makes that hero so much more powerful on this map.
3) The locations of height adjacent to the 6-hex glacier can be problematic because people load up figures on that height, and it turns into a game of "who's going to come down from their perch first?". This could be solved by making the height distribution not quite so "yours and mine" if you know what I mean.

That's all I got time for right now. I'll let you know if I think of more stuff to share!
Thanks for your sage words Flash!
I had been concerned about range on this map as well, but it's even more troubling thinking of playing against Nilf while he joyfully flies around healing and grabbing any prominent height in one move! I may pull the level 4 2-hex snow tiles on either side of the 6-hex glacier and plop them on the 2-hex sand tile islands, definitely do away with the Keldas, and perhaps throw balanced power glyphs in the water near where they had been. That is probably just the beginning of the changes I'll want to make. This one's been built a time or two, but no playtesting yet.
Thanks again for your ever valuable insights!

Side note: I set up Battlefield 23 today between work tasks (gotta love working from home) and I can't help but wonder if you made that whole backstory based on the VS default naming of your 23rd unnamed .hsc file. If so, that's pretty hilarious. If not, still a great looking map. Hopefully I can coax the wife to run a game on it tonight.
Old May 20th, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
Thanks again for your ever valuable insights!

Side note: I set up Battlefield 23 today between work tasks (gotta love working from home) and I can't help but wonder if you made that whole backstory based on the VS default naming of your 23rd unnamed .hsc file. If so, that's pretty hilarious. If not, still a great looking map. Hopefully I can coax the wife to run a game on it tonight.
How dare you accuse me of something so repulsive!!!

...yep, that's pretty much exactly how it happened.

That combined with the fact that my favorite song of all time is a song called 23 by Jimmy Eat World - that was just icing on the cake. If you play, let me know what you think. I always appreciate additional perspectives! I'm looking forward to your next draft of the map! Always fun when the name of a map has some sort of fun backstory! Can't say I've ever named one because of a troll on Facebook though...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios