Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 25th, 2020, 02:01 AM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ulysses' Maps (2 New Maps 1/2020!)

Still not sure about this one, but pretty enough to post.

Old January 29th, 2020, 10:57 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ulysses' Maps (4 New Maps 1/2020!)

For your playing pleasure: Deliquesce

Old January 29th, 2020, 11:02 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I love how you use the actual picture of the map in your photos. I agree with some of the comments above how sometimes Virtualscape doesn't do the map justice.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 29th, 2020, 11:55 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

These latest two look good! I'm a touch worried about the podding potential right by the start zone on Outpouring, but it's got some good features. Deliquesce is definitely my favorite looking map from you - great work! Keep it up!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old January 30th, 2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
These latest two look good! I'm a touch worried about the podding potential right by the start zone on Outpouring, but it's got some good features. Deliquesce is definitely my favorite looking map from you - great work! Keep it up!
Yeah I hear you on the podding. I've just been building lots of maps that have low ground in the middle and height towards the edges, so I wanted to flip that and have more of a mounded look. It ended up a little wonky near the start zones with those big height differences right out of the gate. I've only played myself on Outpouring so I'm hoping to get in some playtests with an actual opponent and see what I can tweak. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old January 30th, 2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I love how you use the actual picture of the map in your photos. I agree with some of the comments above how sometimes Virtualscape doesn't do the map justice.
Thanks! It's been helping me get better at Photoshop too. You can literally scroll down my maps page and watch the quality get worse as the maps get older haha.
Old January 30th, 2020, 11:48 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Thanks! It's been helping me get better at Photoshop too. You can literally scroll down my maps page and watch the quality get worse as the maps get older haha.
Ive been running photoshop for about 17 years now. Im still using photoshop 7.0. Not sure what the new versions have but Im a pro at the old one. Its funny, 90% of what Ive ever done in photoshop is board game related or miniatures game related.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 5th, 2020, 08:31 PM

New Scraps map up!
Encumbered
1/2 RotV and 1 RttFF
Old March 13th, 2020, 08:01 PM

Re: Ulysses' Maps (2 New Scraps Maps 3/2020)

Alright, so I've been working on a possible ARV submission with the single MS and single terrain expansion. I would love any feedback or potential tweaks that could help it. I'll say one concern I had is that it's a little on the narrow side, measuring about 30x18inches and it's not currently completely balanced as one shadow tile is a level lower than its mirrored counterpart, though maybe that's nitpicky.
This requires 1 BftU and 1 FotA.

Thanks @Sir Heroscape and @Flash_19 for the kind words and encouragement on other platforms. These map building contests really helped bring me out of the forum shadows and I'm so glad I did.
Please enjoy my fancy rotating Underdark skills

Drider pdf

Drider VirtualScape file

Old March 13th, 2020, 09:18 PM

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not gunna lie - that rotating picture is pretty cool! How'd you do that?? Was it a screencast that you uploaded to google drive?

So here are some more thoughts I've had as I've looked at it some more:

1) I love the clear start zones, the overall size of the map, and it certainly looks great. Overall it looks like a very inviting map to play.

2) Well done!

3) Overall I have two main concerns, and a couple other smaller suggestions. My first concern is the restrictiveness of the map. There are a lot of choke points throughout the map. While a few choke points typically aren't a bad thing, I feel like it could be quite frustrating to play against rats or any other screen type army on this map as it currently is. There is another thing to consider when a map is too restrictive, and that is can units reasonably fit on the various parts of the map? If you have spaces on the map where some of the bigger figures can't get to (or at least threaten - meaning they can move adjacent to that space), then you've got a major problem. A tournament map can't prevent someone from playing a particular army because of the way that map is set up.

The next concern is the three hex dungeon tile on level three right next to the start zone. If I was running range, I would definitely take advantage of that.

For the terrain you have available, I feel like you've done well at trying to utilize it effectively. However, there might be a couple sections you'll want to think about some more. The area around the central rock is really choppy - it has a lot of up and down with battlements and elevation changes. I'm most worried about the single battlements that are closest to the tallest part of the rock outcrop (they are attached to road tiles). Also, some of the shadow tiles are placed in areas where they likely won't see any use - it would be better to try and use them in places where a unit threatening a key position can benefit from the defensive bonus. To explain what I mean by that, think about where ranged units are likely to try and situate themselves, and put the shadow tiles in a place that would help melee units threaten that position or provide them additional cover as they try and get there.

Hope that helps. Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this map. It really is looking good - I'm sure with a few tweaks it will be a great map to play on!

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old March 13th, 2020, 09:46 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I'll echo the above. Flash did a really good job of explaining some of my concerns as well now that I've had more time to look at it. I also agree with the good points though. This is a good 1st run. Startzones are clear, it's a really nice symmetrical map, it's visually appealing and uses the terrain well. Flash's suggestions are valid though.

2 additional thoughts:
- Try to keep the integrity of the map as you've currently designed it. Sometimes people will see our suggestions and go back to the drawing board and rework everything. Not so. What you have is working, but it does need some tweaking...so try to keep the map design - for the most part - the way you envisioned it...but the challenge here is now to make small shifts, adjustments and subtle changes that'll open up the map a little more, level it out and make it more refined.

- The road. Right now it looks nice, but it's actually not really helping movement through the map. It's disconnected and relatively short, so most figures will really only get an extra space during their movement. Try to rethink how you want the road to be represented in this map in order to help with the flow of units.

Feel free to mess around with it a little and then repost.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 13th, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
2 additional thoughts:
- Try to keep the integrity of the map as you've currently designed it. Sometimes people will see our suggestions and go back to the drawing board and rework everything. Not so. What you have is working, but it does need some tweaking...so try to keep the map design - for the most part - the way you envisioned it...but the challenge here is now to make small shifts, adjustments and subtle changes that'll open up the map a little more, level it out and make it more refined.
A 100% amen to this.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios