Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Old January 28th, 2009, 12:50 AM

sasigns is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Smile Thinking of getting this for my son

My son is 7 and I know the box says 8 but but he is pretty quick I guess my question is how hard is this to play. How long is the average game. Does this differ much from regular heroscape and is that a better game to start with? I just want to say thanks in advance for any help. I want to start getting my son into table top games he wants to play warhammer but thats way above his level so I thought i might try this.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Thinking of getting this for my son

Welcome to the site, sasigns!

Marvelscape should be easy for you and your son to learn. All Heroscape rules include basic and advanced versions, and many of us here have known players as young as 7 who play with the advanced rules. My own cousins, aged 7 and 9, play with me from time to time and have little problem with the rules. (Strategy, on the other hand... )

Marvelscape and regular Heroscape use the same rules and are fully compatible. The Marvel game plays faster than the normal game, partly because there aren't any squads in Marvel and the maps you can build with the Marvel set are a lot smaller than the ones you can build with the two regular sets. A game of Marvelscape takes about 20-40 minutes, whereas your average game of Heroscape goes about 40-60 minutes. Usually the map set up and cleanup are what takes time.

Any Heroscape is great to start with, but Marvelscape might appeal to your son if he's familiar with the characters at all. The regular Heroscape Master Sets offer more bang for the buck in the terms of terrain and figures, but you should be able to find a Marvel set a bit cheaper than either Rise of the Valkyrie (RotV) or Swarm of the Marro (SotM), the two regular 'Scape Master Sets.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM

goaliescaper is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Welcome to the site, sasigns!

Marvelscape should be easy for you and your son to learn. All Heroscape rules include basic and advanced versions, and many of us here have known players as young as 7 who play with the advanced rules. My own cousins, aged 7 and 9, play with me from time to time and have little problem with the rules. (Strategy, on the other hand... )

Marvelscape and regular Heroscape use the same rules and are fully compatible. The Marvel game plays faster than the normal game, partly because there aren't any squads in Marvel and the maps you can build with the Marvel set are a lot smaller than the ones you can build with the two regular sets. A game of Marvelscape takes about 20-40 minutes, whereas your average game of Heroscape goes about 40-60 minutes. Usually the map set up and cleanup are what takes time.

Any Heroscape is great to start with, but Marvelscape might appeal to your son if he's familiar with the characters at all. The regular Heroscape Master Sets offer more bang for the buck in the terms of terrain and figures, but you should be able to find a Marvel set a bit cheaper than either Rise of the Valkyrie (RotV) or Swarm of the Marro (SotM), the two regular 'Scape Master Sets.
Strategy is hard to grasp at times for everyone not just 7 year olds

He shoots... and the airborne elite drop just in time to save the goal!
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

In my opinion, the 'normal' Heroscape is FAR superior to playing the Marvel set alone. But for your purpose here, I think it would be *perfect*.

Less terrain, and less figures to choose from (therefore less abilities to learn how to use/defend/aniticipate).

Plus, it's Spider-Man. And that's probably 'cool'.

I honestly don't play alot of Marvel only games, so I couldn't tell you how long the average game lasts. Depends on how many figures you decide on, but I'd say a 20 minute game is a reasonable estimate.
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Sasigns...welcome to the site...

My son Dylan has been playing Heroscape since he was 5 so dont be too worried about the age recommendation on the box.

There is a basic version of the game and a master version so even if he isnt ready for all of the rules he can still play and enjoy the game. Since all of the special powers are in the Master Game he will probably be more eager to learn all the rules just so he can use the powers.

I will also add that regular Heroscape would probably be better as it looks like there will not be any more new figures coming out for MarvelScape so unless he will be content using the same 10 figures over and over again you might want to look into the regular game.

As far as game time goes, the key is to play on smaller maps so gamesd will take 45 minutes to an hour....although a huge map with a bigger army is always a fun change of pace too.
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:17 AM

Thanks guys I will be picking this up on friday and will let you guys know how it goes and hopefully he will be interested enough to move into regular heroscape as thats what I would be more interested in lol was just looking for something basic to start with and this sounds good
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Your son will love it. Me and my son got hooked not long ago buying the Marvel master Set. Now we are buying whatever 'Scape we can get. Started off with the Basic side, but quickly jumped to the Master rules and my son remembers them even better than my wife.

Hope you have a blast.
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Nathify is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

If you do good Vs evil (Iron man, Spider man, Hulk, Silver surfer, and Captain America VS Doctor doom, Venom, Abombination, Thanos, and the red skull.) The game will probably last 15-30 minutes.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM

the beast is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I would get it for him it would be perfect considering the time it would take to play a game.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM

Well I picked it up today wish me luck lol
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby!

Good luck!! I know he will enjoy it. I like the normal better, just because they have romans, orcs, and elves... (and all the other cool figures.)

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM

yea I think i am going to order the regular set from TOYS R US cause they have one set for $16

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion