Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old January 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
SF Bay Area - Embrace the Suck in 2010

When: Saturday, April 24th, 11am to 7pm.

Where: Same space as NHSD '09 - Game Kastle in Santa Clara (near the SJ Airport)

What: NorCal's first Tournament in 2010 - Embrace the Suck

The Attendee List:

01. cmgames
02. Killometer (+2)
05. FishTako (+1)
07. GeneralGrievous12
08. GeneralGrievous13
09. Ronin Valentina
10. Killz (+2)
13. Rembrant
14. Marvelman
15. Utgars Servant
16. Menchi
17. fresno bob (and son)
18. jerry22
19. daftfighterz64

The Event Format: Swiss-style - 60 minute time limit (time out is counted as a draw).

ALL PLAYERS WILL BRING DICE, OMs, Wound Markers, AND ONE 540pt army with a 24 hex limit. Please pre-grade your army (see Army GPA explanation below). You can bring two armies if you want, but you must decide which one you will use for the entire tournament before your first match.

Your army cannot contain any forbidden units and may contain no more than 220 points from the B-list units (220 points was chosen as the cost of the most expensive unit in the list). See lists quoted below.

No Marvel allowed. All D&D Masterset and Wave 11+ are allowed, as are the Warriors of Feldspar from Wave 10 (GG & QH). However, note that most of these are listed in the limited bracket.

Forbidden:
Spoiler Alert!

220 points max.:
Spoiler Alert!

Rankings will be determined according to the following criteria:

A) Total Wins
B) Best win difference (number of wins minus number of losses)
C) Total Points
D) Army GPA (lower is better - see below)
E) D20 roll.

Your Total Points is the sum of all points you have left alive at the end of each match (partial-card scoring).

If you have questions or comments, please post them!

The Map List: Please PM me if you can provide one or more of these on game day.

Spoiler Alert!

Glyphs
: - Some maps may have fixed glyphs. If you bring these maps, please provide those glyphs. Otherwise, each map should have a glyph pool containing one each of as many of the following as you can provide:
Spoiler Alert!

On any map that includes Glyphs, if both players agree, you can replace 1 or more of the normal Glyphs with Treasure Glyphs taken from the full pool of available Treasure Glyphs.

Army GPA explained
Spoiler Alert!

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; August 6th, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: SF Bay Area - Embrace the Suck in 2010

I'm (probably) in - and I vote for one of the Saturday dates as I'm not available on Sundays.
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Alright, another tourney! Embrace the Suck sounds like fun. Thanks for getting this together, cmgames.

The end of April should work for me, and I'll make sure that my brother knows about this, too.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

A couple thoughts about this tourney...

-Swiss-style seems to lead itself to a more concrete winner, but Rolling Rumble was fun because it resulted in almost non-stop play (for those who wanted it), and with this tourney's twist, which changes the competive standard significantly, I don't think that it would be entirely out of place to use that format again.

-What if, as another incentive to choose lower grade armies, part of the rankings was GPA, where lower=better? If you don't want to because you don't want to, that's okay, I won't take it personally, but if you don't want to because you don't want the extra work I volunteer myself for number-crunching detail (references for my OCD nature abound )

Old January 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
A couple thoughts about this tourney...

-Swiss-style seems to lead itself to a more concrete winner, but Rolling Rumble was fun because it resulted in almost non-stop play (for those who wanted it), and with this tourney's twist, which changes the competive standard significantly, I don't think that it would be entirely out of place to use that format again.

-What if, as another incentive to choose lower grade armies, part of the rankings was GPA, where lower=better? If you don't want to because you don't want to, that's okay, I won't take it personally, but if you don't want to because you don't want the extra work I volunteer myself for number-crunching detail (references for my OCD nature abound )
My concern with the Rolling Rumble is that, because of the nature of the units, games might actually tend to run long so more folks might actually play fewer games than with Swiss-style (with timeout). Also, scoring the Rolling Rumble was more an exercise in creative accounting than I liked.

As to the GPA idea, I have two issues with it. First, I don't completely agree with spider_poison's rankings for all the units. I just used his list as an easy reference for the limitations at the top of the rankings. Second, I'm not sure how we could work it in to a scoring method - give me more detail on how you think it might work and I will think about it.

~Z

PS, Killo, should I put you down as an attendee?

My map thread
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
My concern with the Rolling Rumble is that, because of the nature of the units, games might actually tend to run long so more folks might actually play fewer games than with Swiss-style (with timeout). Also, scoring the Rolling Rumble was more an exercise in creative accounting than I liked.
Valid points. I'm happy as long as I'm playing 'Scape.

Quote:
As to the GPA idea, I have two issues with it. First, I don't completely agree with spider_poison's rankings for all the units. I just used his list as an easy reference for the limitations at the top of the rankings. Second, I'm not sure how we could work it in to a scoring method - give me more detail on how you think it might work and I will think about it.
I don't agree with the rankings 100%, either (I doubt very many do), but they set a fairly even bench-mark for comparison's sake. I was envisioning something along the lines of scoring each army card in an army
  • B+ = 87.5
  • B = 85
  • B- = 82.5
  • C+ = 77.5
  • C = 75
  • C- = 72.5
  • D = 65
  • F = 55
then averaging them to give the army's "grade" So an army with PoU x2, DW8K, Khosumet and Valguard would be scored (85+85+72.5+75+77.5)/5 giving it a final GPA of 79. So if a player with that army went 4-2 and a player with an army scored at 82 went 4-2 the 79 point army would win the tie-breaker, since it embraced the suck more.

Quote:
PS, Killo, should I put you down as an attendee?
I'll be there, assuming I can get the day off, which probably won't be a problem. Hopefully with two others, as well.

Old January 31st, 2010, 01:43 AM

OK, Killo, that sounds like it could work. Anybody else have any feelings one way or the other on this idea. Also, if we implement something like this, I'd like you to do some playtesting to make sure your numbers are good - did you pull them out of the hat or did you base them on something concrete?

~Z

P.S. Also looking for feedback from everybody on the maps chosen (and suggestions for additional maps).

My map thread
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:10 AM

FishTako knows what's in an order marker FishTako knows what's in an order marker

Please count me in. End of April looks fairly clear for me right now. Thanks for setting this up!

As far as the rankings go, I really don't have enough experience with the game to have much of an opinion. I'm just happy to finally get a chance to play.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
OK, Killo, that sounds like it could work. Anybody else have any feelings one way or the other on this idea. Also, if we implement something like this, I'd like you to do some playtesting to make sure your numbers are good - did you pull them out of the hat or did you base them on something concrete?

~Z

P.S. Also looking for feedback from everybody on the maps chosen (and suggestions for additional maps).
The numbers I chose were based off the scores assigned to each grade in a 100 point test. I tried a few other scales, including a stardard 4 point GPA system and trying to score based off points per grade, instead of cards per grade, but the way I settled on is easy to calculate and seems well representitive of the grades of chosen units in an army.

Edit: I'd also like to enter my vote for the tourney to be on the weekend of the 24th-25th. My Paramedic midterms are on the 22nd-23rd, so I'd love to blow off some steam right after that, and I'll probably have to be studying instead of 'Scaping the weekend of the 17th-18th.

Last edited by Killometer; February 1st, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM

GeneralGrievous13 is surprisingly tart

My dad and I may be able to attend on either weekend in April.

Also, we both prefer the Rolling Rumble format over the Swiss-style.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:15 PM

A mass pm should go out to everyone in the North CA directory for this tourney. Would you like me to buzz everyone, cm, or would you like to do it?

Edit: Since they don't appear in the Forbidden or Limited catagories are the QH's and GG's unlimited, even though they aren't graded? (I don't think that I've seen anyone pu them at an A, anyways)

Last edited by Killometer; February 2nd, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:09 PM

PMs sent. Hopefully we get some more hits.

Jexik has posted grades for Wave 10 and the MS3, if you wanted to add them to the forbidden/limited lists, cmgames.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events