Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Notices

Old January 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM

WestonWyse has disabled reputation
What have we really lost?

It's been three years since I've been on these forums. I moved away, and all my friends didn't. And I never really got the hang of the whole "meeting new people" thing. But then I moved back, and last night we had our first HeroScape night in years.

And I found out it has been discontinued. Thanks, WotC. Between this and 4e, I no longer have any reason to send you my money. But I digress.

So this morning, I'm back on the forums, reading through everyone's reactions over the last few months, but my reaction is honestly starting to lean toward, "So what?"

Now, hear me out. In the end, if WotC is out of the Heroscape business, what have we lost? The customs community is thriving; there will still be new material. We probably all have piles of terrain sitting in our extra bedrooms/attics/garages; I know I have more than I could ever reasonably use at the same time. The old, out of print units will probably be available on eBay for all eternity (and the price will eventually come back down). So what have we *really* lost?

We've lost quality control and a rubber stamp of officiality. I know the customs community does a wonderful job striving for balance and playability, but nothing really beats the plastic packaging that says "People have tried this, it's good to use, and it's approved for all tournaments."

We've lost direction. I know that in a game where the intent was to blend every genre imaginable (Yes, it will blend!) that complaining about a lack of direction seems moot. But story draws people into games far more than mechanics do. And without a declared direction to follow, things can get very chaotic, to say the least.

And probably most importantly, we've lost the ability to gain new players. Without an on-the-shelf Master Set to point people to, swelling the Scaper ranks is going to be nigh impossible. Scrounging eBay for enough terrain and a viable army is going to be an insurmountable task for all but the most hardcore gamers.

But here's the thing: We don't need WotC for any of this. The community can easily step in and fill the gaps left behind. Because, let's be honest, the only two original things about HeroScape were the storyline and the "interlocking" part of the interlocking terrain. Except the Marro, the miniatures are pretty generic. Hex terrain - even varying height hex terrain - is very generic. The ruleset is incredibly generic.

So it's time for us to get busy. It's time for some official unofficial oversight. It's time for centrally organized tournament support (I'm really surprised we don't seem to have that one already...). It's even time to start producing terrain, Mega Bloks style. It's time for us to quit pining over what is lost and instead strive forward to bigger, better, more awesome things. And in this community, I know that will happen. My prediction is that by the end of this year, no one will be missing WotC at all.

HeroScape is dead. Long live HeroScape.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: What have we really lost?

Spot on!

The last few waves I haven't even bought, since I could care less about D&D, the theme just didn't interest me. I've been much more excited with the C3G superhero releases this last year, which just shows how great our custom community is!

But at a recent tournament, my brother and I won some D3 packs, and they are really great figures. Props to the design team!
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Biggie is surprisingly tart

Heroscape said to WotC: "If you destroy me, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

It's just a "game"?
Old January 9th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
Heroscape said to WotC: "If you destroy me, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"
Nice!

To the first post: however, although prices will go down, thats after heroscape loses its popularity, or at least some part of it. So we'll have less members, as people leave for various reasons, but nobody new comes, but we may have some lurkers or previous players join. Sure eventually the devoted will prosper, but thats after they suffer from high prices* and less people playing. *Wave 10 is 59.99 last I checked (the day of this post) on Coolstuffinc.
What could save us now is a re-release of VW, with a deal with Toys "R" Us.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by yamissflash; January 9th, 2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added some stuff
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
Nice!

To the first post: however, although prices will go down, thats after heroscape loses its popularity, or at least some part of it. So we'll have less members, as people leave for various reasons, but nobody new comes, but we may have some lurkers or previous players join. Sure eventually the devoted will prosper, but thats after they suffer from high prices* and less people playing. *Wave 10 is 59.99 last I checked (the day of this post) on Coolstuffinc.
What could save us now is a re-release of VW, with a deal with Toys "R" Us.
Just my opinion.
I agree with you, a VW and RotV re-release would be very nice right about now.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Definitely. I really need a re-release of the terrain expansions (minus the castle) and waves 1-4. And the zombies.
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM

rshorton is surprisingly tart

I think re-releases of older waves is definitely one thing we lost. Unless another company buys the rights to Heroscape.

Me-Burq-Sa, You-Burq-Sa, We-All-Burq-Sa!!!
~ RSH
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:03 PM

XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
Definitely. I really need a re-release of the terrain expansions (minus the castle) and waves 1-4. And the zombies.
You hit it bang on, waves 1-6 are ridiculously hard to get, and even wave 7 is getting difficult
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I never got my hands on Wave 9, so I pine for the Dwaves and Gladiators. Also in tears due to the lack of Flagbearers, who, at their incredibly hiked price, have vanished off the face of the Earth.

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM

rshorton is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
I never got my hands on Wave 9, so I pine for the Dwaves and Gladiators. Also in tears due to the lack of Flagbearers, who, at their incredibly hiked price, have vanished off the face of the Earth.
I agree. Flagbearers are very pricey now. They are one of the few things I need to finish my collection, but I refuse to pay $250+ for a set of them from E-Bay.

Me-Burq-Sa, You-Burq-Sa, We-All-Burq-Sa!!!
~ RSH
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM

SPECTER has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonWyse View Post
HeroScape is dead. Long live HeroScape.
Couldnt agree more with this closing statement. (Well honestly, the entire post but this ending struck a nerve.) I myself had joined the military and was stationed out in California, with all my Heroscape things back at home here on the East Coast. Just returned in October, only to find the brand at the last of its days. It appeared to be a tragedy at first and though there are still plenty of negatives to list, the upside is that this is a game backed by a fanatical community full of fun loving scapers! Whether the customs become our "official" unofficial direction or we all patiently wait to further our collections with the original figures once the price gouging abates, the game will live on. Power to the players.

"That which is above is as that which is below"
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDVincent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
You hit it bang on, waves 1-6 are ridiculously hard to get, and even wave 7 is getting difficult
Perhaps you guys mean waves 2-6. Wave 1 is still available in most online stores and they are not exactly on the expensive side either.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News