Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM

bluekitsune13 has disabled reputation
Forgot Finn's cape. Fixed.

EDIT: And here's his bro, Thorgrim.

Old January 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Wow. These are insanely cool. Keep 'em coming!
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM

And now the last Viking Champion. Phew. I think that's all for today.

Old January 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Blue Kitsune, those are VERY cool man. Do you have a link to a tutorial or something?

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain"
http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

Old January 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Sev_ has disabled reputation
I applaude you guys on doing something like this. Its amazing what some people can do, and as Uprising put it, either of you guys have a tutorial or plan on making one? Because that would be awesome!
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:37 PM

player_of_volleyball Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising
Blue Kitsune, those are VERY cool man. Do you have a link to a tutorial or something?
yea. that looks kool. i wont mind learning on how to do that

Yes, finally new and better elves to improve my already thick ranks of elves.

Elves shall prevail!
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker
Blue, those are really good. I wasn't able to find the ones I had made for my game so I'll eventually just make some more. And maybe even make the game...Anyway, keep up the good work.

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:23 PM

All right, here are some small pointers for you guys.

First off: I like to use sprites from the Gameboy Advance Fire Emblem games. They work great because of their small, managable size, and with potential for much detail. You can find sheets of those sprites all around the net, so just google it. Also I prefer to use good old Microsoft Paint that comes with Windows. It is the best program to use, because it will let you work small and place individual pixels.

Step 1: Once I have a character in mind, say Finn for above, I'll block out a little sillouette. For outlines in any sprite I make, I never like using a pure black outline. Instead, I'll just use a very, very dark grey. There's not much point to putting a lot of detail at this point, just try to get a good idea of what it is you're doing. You can always erase or add things later.

Step 2: Now you can erase the inside of the blob so you have an outline of the sprite. From there you can start creating boundaries for their head, clothes, accessories, etc. Depending on my mood, or how detailed the sprite is, I might skip this step entirely, and start to block in with colors. Usually if the sprite is simple I'll do that to save time, but I'll start with an outline for bigger projects.

Step 3: Now comes color. When spriting, you want to use only a small amount of colors so you don't flood the sprite. Each kind of color should have 2 or 3 tones. One should be the base, and ther others should be lighter or darker. When you first start to block in colors, start with just the middle color. From there you can branch outwards to add more colors. But be warned when you add more color, you must establish a light source (something all artists should know already). Basically you want to make sure that one side of the sprite is lighter than the other. I usually like to have the way the character's facing to be the light source, so it will highlight their face and body better.

Step 4: Now we get into all those nitpicky details. Besides adding the colors, you want to add details too. Also not everything has to be outlined too. If you want to add small details inside the sprite (like a belt buckle or something), you don't have to necessarily outline it to make it stand out. For me, I like to have just the outside of the sprite outlined, and perhaps some of the inside if it will help the clarity of it. Also when dealing with weapons, specifically blades, I like to outline them in a faded blue color. For me, outlining a white blade in black is too much contrast. Plus it will help it stick out. Just personal preference.

Animation: This is the tricky part. Simply moving the sprite up or down a pixel at a time isn't going to make the sprite look good. If the sprite is crouching down, you will see their knees bend, and their clothing shift, etc. I don't have much advice on this one, because it's something you'll just have to figure out yourself. For a basic animation, 3 frames is fine. Then you can repeat them 1-2-3-2 etc.

Well, that's just a quick runthrough. I'm sure you can find more in depth tutorials too. Just google em. Hope that helped though.
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker
Hey thanks! I like your way alot better than mine, a bit more organized I'm saving this for when I decide to remake my HS sprites. I'm sure this will help alot of people, thanks again!

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:48 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13
Well, that's just a quick runthrough. I'm sure you can find more in depth tutorials too. Just google em. Hope that helped though.
Very cool of you man. I'm gonna give this a try right now. Thanks!!!! Keep em comin' if you have the time

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain"
http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

Old January 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
BlueKitsune and I have slightly different methods.

But my way of doing things is a bit more compicated, as I don't start with a base to work off of.

I just had Braxas sit in front of me and kept messing till it looked right.

heh, heh, hehhh....

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Ausdude has disabled reputation
Dang!
Those are good Blue!
I sprite, but I could never top that.
But maybe I can whip up some sprites.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion