Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old May 25th, 2011, 04:30 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Cheap Buildings Found

Some of you may recall the bridge I made out of an Eiffel Tower kit a while back. Well I wondered into Micheal's Craft store and discovered that the company that made that kit has been expanding their product line.

I came across a real nice, yet cheap and easy to make wooden building that can be used for Heroscape. The 'Villa' kit I found only cost $1, so I picked up two of them. Here it is in the package.

I put together one of them right away. It took me maybe 10 minutes or so to fully assemble without doing the sanding or applying glue to anything. I just 'snapped' it together so I could see how it measured up for size and how it might fit on a Heroscape board.

While clearly not a full sized human home I still think it has many potential uses. It makes for a good guard shack/gate house/toll booth type of structure found near a road or bridge. It could be a dwarf/gnome/hobbit house, a witches hovel (or some other society outcasts' dwelling), an outlaw hideout, an opium den, a potion shop, a chicken coop, etc. With a little bit of customization and creativity this simple building has lots of potential.

I found that I can fit it on a 6 hex space with only minimal overhang. For those who are not terrible talented or experienced with custom terrain, just adding a simple paint job would be enough for a nice addition to your Heroscape board (although adding a door would be easy). I have a few ideas for small additions to mine and once I have one finished I'll post the completed pics in my terrain thread.

They also had another $1 building kit available, it was called a Ranch House. I ended up passing on it but I do think it also had some potential, it just would require a little bit of alteration to really work well for Heroscape sized figures. I then found out that they are making several larger, more expensive kits too. A bunch of famous buildings and structures now have kits, some of them useful and others not sized well or useful at all. I ended up buying just 2 of them.

The White House ($6) I have plans on for use in a Marvel/C3G setting. If you leave those small stair cases up front and the flag pole off, I think it could be turned into a bank or city hall type building. The Pisa Tower ($5) I'm not sure what I'll do with yet. I just liked how it looked and thought I could make use of the structure in some way eventually (Wizard Tower/Watch Tower?). It might end up being heavily altered though as it may be too tall to be practical. Maybe two different structures half as big.

I did put the White House together already. It took me quite a while to get fully assembled, and once again I only did the bare minimum of sanding and did not glue anything together. I just wanted to get it together so I could see how it might work out.

Now that I have put it together, I expect a fair amount of additional customization work will be needed. You can see in the pics how it sits up off the ground as it, so I know I will have to cut the bottom tabs off. I also plan on trimming the base down to open up any playable hexes underneath. I also realized that I'll need to add a Heroscape human sized door somewhere. Some of the seams and slots will need to be filled in and smoothed out with putty before painting. I think the paint job will be fairly simple though. Once finished I'll share those photos with you all as well.

They also had 3 different tall, thin tower structures ($4-5). They were all models of real building that were akin to the Seattle Space Needle and could make for cool sci-fi themed items. I actually had an idea to turn one into a Kyrie guard tower/platform after leaving the store so now I think I'll pick one of them up next time I'm out. They also had I think 4 different boats, so if someone wanted to make a naval set-up I think 1 or 2 of them could be a useful platform for a boat project.

The last thing I'll leave you with is not a building at all but I picked up at the same time so I'll share it too.

It was on sale for 49 cents so I couldn't pass it up. Made by the same company that made those cannons I bought. Again as it is seen it is not glued together at all just set up to gauge size. The 'cover' part of the covered wagon is just a thin piece of cardboard, which while serviceable might get replaced if I can come up with something better. I'm also thinking about looking for some type of work animal to hook up to it the next time I'm at a toy store.

Here is one last pic of the wagon next to the guard shack.

Old May 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM

crxcowboy is surprisingly tart
Re: Cheap Buildings Found

Excellent! I have stared at every one of these models when I've gone into Michael's but didn't buy them because I had dismissed them all as not the right size. It did not even occur to me to use the Space Needle model as some sort of sci-fi themed structure! I was inspired by your bridge model before and I'm still working on my version of it. And now, I'm inspired by this as well. Curse you Yodaking for making me want to go spend more money. +rep
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:57 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Very nice find. I can see myself spending a little money on some of these to make customs. Some buildings might breathe some life back into the Marvel set I have gathering dust.
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:44 AM

mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dude great finds! Can't wait to see your mods to these things.
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I ended up going back and buying the Space Needle Kit. Here is a pic of it in the package.

I also completed my work on the first two small buildings and will be adding them to my custom terrain thread shortly. Once I'm done uploading all the pics, I'll post a link here so you can see how they turned out.

Here is the direct link to those first two 'villa' buildings:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...t=17338&page=7

Last edited by Yodaking; June 27th, 2011 at 06:21 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles