Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Board Games that Wives enjoy

I am definitely a gamer. HeroScape is and will always be my favorite game by far. I've played games throughout my life but things sure have shifted for me. As my daughter has gotten older (almost 6) and with another 2 year old daughter and another on the way my "gaming" has shifted a bit. I love the gamer games still with other gamer guys but I am looking more for other type of family games, in particular ones that my wife enjoys. She has started to play games with me and my oldest daughter a few years back. It's been an adventure finding games that she enjoys and some of them even surprise me. I know many of you guys are married with children as well. Perhaps some of you have wives (or girlfriends) that play with you and perhaps some of you don't. The purpose of this thread is to use as a resource for us gamers to try and find games that the ladies in our lives would enjoy playing. I found a thread similar to this but it was back in 2006 and there are lots of new games since then.

My wife enjoys Dominion immensely. It is easily her favorite game by far. She also enjoys Carcassonne. Lately Lost Cities and Hive are 2 hits that I recently purchased. Because of Dominion, Thunderstone is another one that my wife enjoys. Though the theme isn't neccesarily her favorite. Rail Baron is a pretty good hit as well. Interestingly enough Descent was one my wife enjoyed. She doesn't enjoy the time commitment but she likes the grab the treasue, shut the doors and run technique. Forbidden Island and Pirate vs. Pirate have had decent success with her as well.

Games that wives have enjoyed
1. Dominion (7 votes)
2. Carcassonne (7 votes)
3. Lost Cities (2)
4. Hive (2)
5. Rail Baron
6. Forbidden Island
7. Ingenious (2)
8. Labyrinth
9. Fluxx (2)
10. HeroScape (5)
11. Set
12. Inverse
13. Settlers of Catan (6)
14. Vegas Showdown
15. Puerto Rico
16. Citadels
17. Small World (3)
18. Blokus (2)
19. Compatability
20. Ticket to Ride
21. FITS
22. Monopoly Deal
23. Balloon Cup
24. Zooloretto
25. Dune
26. Last Night on Earth (5)
27. Fish Eat Fish
28. Cloud 9
29. Abandon Ship
30. Castle Panic
31. Emerald
32. Hey! That's my Fish!
33. Tiki Mountain
34. Through the Desert
35. 10 Days In Asia
36. 10 Days In The USA
37. 10 Days In Africa
38. Cartagena
39. Conquest of the Fallen Lands (2)
40. Pandemic (3)
41. Pirates Cove
42. Pillars of the Earth
43. Stone Age
44. Tales of the Arabian Nights
45. Rush n Crush
46. Prophecy
47. Zombies!!!
48. Othello
49. Battle Ball
50. Mutant Chronicles (90s)
51. Taboo
52. Zombie Town
53. Clue
54. Monopoly
55. Manhattan (2)
56. Mystery of the Abbey
57. Blockus Trigon (2)
58. Scrabble (3)
59. Boggle (3)
60. Upwards
61. Bejeweled
62. Sequence
63. Brisk Bizz
64. Summoner Wars
65. Micropul
66. Farkle
67. Yahtzee
68. Killer Bunnies
69. Robo Rally (2)
70. Dixit
71. Canasta
72. Mah Jogg
73. Bananagrams
74. Streetcar
75. Masons
76. Kingsburg

Games that you may be surprised your wife enjoys
1. Thunderstone
2. Descent
3. Battleball

Games wives doesn't mind playing
1. Pirate Vs. Pirate
2. Castle Panic
3. HeroScape (8 votes)
4. Summoner Wars (3)
5. Descent (2)
9. Nexus Ops
10. Doom (2)
11. Battle Star Galactica
12. Dominion
13. O Zoo le Mio
14. Clans
15. King Me
16. Guillotine
17. MonPoc
18. Pandemic (2)
19. Axis and Allies
20. Risk 2210
21. Stratego
22. Chess
23. Cranium
24. Apples to Apples
25. Mad Gab
26. Last Night on Earth
27. Bootleggers
28. Carcassonne (2)
29. The Adventurers
30. Forbidden Island
31. Khet
32. Castle Ravenloft
33. Farkle
34. Sequence

Games wives dislike
1. Acquire
2. Songs of Blades and Heroes
3. Infinite City
4. Axis And Allies (2)
5. WoW minis
6. Castle Ravenloft
7. Last Night on Earth (2 votes)
8. Summoner Wars (3)
9. Race for The Galaxy
10. Shadows Over Camelot
11. A Touch of Evil (2)
12. Domain
13. Space Hulk (2)
14. AT-43
15. Irondale
16. HeroScape (2)
17. Magic the Gathering
18. Descent
19. War of the Ring
20. Battlestar Galactica

Please feel free to comment on games that your wife / girlfriend have enjoyed or not enjoyed. I really love the What board game are you playing thread and it has been a valuable resource to me. I hope this helps those of us out there to find games that we can enjoy with our families and more importantly with our wives.

I'll keep the listed updated best I can with what other wives' opinions. You'll also notice some games are on more than one list.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; September 29th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Games that Wives enjoy

<sniggers like a fourteen-year-old boy>

I don't think there is enough bandwidth to support the number of images of quarters that this needs. Or perhaps I'm just immature.

Edit, to add something constructive. My wife enjoys Heroscape. We've played a few games of Summoner Wars, but haven't really got into it yet. Most often we'll play quick abstract games like Set or Inverse.

Last edited by ollie; September 28th, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
<sniggers like a fourteen-year-old boy>

I don't think there is enough bandwidth to support the number of images of quarters that this needs. Or perhaps I'm just immature.
Changing title of thread....

Old September 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Games that wives have enjoyed
1. Settlers of Catan (numerous variations)
2. Carcassonne
3. Dominion
4. Vegas Showdown
5. Puerto Rico
6. Citadels
7. Small World

Games wives doesn't mind playing
1. Descent
2. Heroscape
3. Nexus Ops
4. Doom
5. Battlestar Galactica

Games wives dislike
1. Last Night on Earth
2. Touch of Evil

I guess my wife just hates flying frog. Theme is also just not as important to her, or maybe the themes I like are not her favorite. Basically, if she gets a choice, she will choose a euro game. If friends are over that want to play something different (or I have a new game) she will give the others a try. She is OK with battlestar galactica, and it is one of her friends' FAVORITE game. Another friend of hers loves last night on earth, but not my wife, dear no.

Man, I hope she likes Ravenloft a bit more than Descent. Looking at my list and being honest with myself, though, I kind of doubt it.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Board Games that Wives enjoy

My soon to be wife really enjoys the game Blokus. Its a puzzle type game. Other than that, she has no interest in anything I play.

72 tournaments. 173 - 142 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.

My goal, play every official 'scape unit in a tournament at least once. 149 down, 55 to go!
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I just as a general rule don't assume my wife will enjoy games. She is very much a non-gamer. Games are something that I primarily enjoy with my son and a little with my daughters. My wife is more likely to like mass market games. I usually am just pleasantly surprised when she tries a game. We have played maybe 3 games of Heroscape in the last 5 years, but she has enjoyed a few games of Battleball. I know she has played around 3-5 games since we got it a couple months ago.
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

The short list of games that my wife enjoys (though the list is expanding as she is more accepting of trying new stuff since I introduced her to some of these).

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
FITS
Blokus
Ingenious
Monopoly Deal
Dominion (though I'm not sure if she liked it, but she played).

I'm finding anything that isn't abstract or a card game isn't even worth the breath to ask if she'll play.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Master Custom Creator & HS Codex Editor-in-Chief

atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby!

My wife really enjoys Lost Cities, Balloon Cup, Zooloretto, Carcassonne these are her favorites. She like playing O Zoo le Mio, Clans, King Me, Guillotine and Heroscape. Dislikes Domain.

The Meaning of Life is to Give Life Meaning!

The More I learn, the Less I know.
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

In our house, Dune (80s Board game, based on the book/movie) is a big hit, but you are indeed right about Axis and Allies as a buzz kill.

Strip Heroscape is becoming less of a possibility and more of a reality in the Filthy household as well. Much cheaper than marriage counseling, too.
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
In our house, Dune (80s Board game, based on the book/movie) is a big hit, but you are indeed right about Axis and Allies as a buzz kill.

Strip Heroscape is becoming less of a possibility and more of a reality in the Filthy household as well. Much cheaper than marriage counseling, too.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Filthy the Clown again.

In my house my wife's favorite game is absolutely LNOE. I asked her once why she liked it so much and she said "Because it feels like a regular game and not a geek game." Hey, you take what you can get.

But she has no interest in being the heroes, just her zombies, which crushed me again Sunday night.

In my entire time owning this game I've only played the zombies three times.

As far as other games, my wife likes Heroscape so long as she can have Q9, Braxas and Raelin, then she'll play. She get's turned off by the game trying to remember what the other pieces do.

She hates Space Hulk. Just hates it. She has no interest in being the marines and finds the genestealers to be boring.

She has no interest in learning AT-43. Once she saw the tape measure she was upstairs watching TV in about 10 seconds.

She has expressed an interest in learning Monsterpocalypse (because she thinks the clear ultra figures are cool) but if Heroscape is too much to remember, I'm afraid Monpoc will chase her up to the TV again.

I don't know about Descent yet. I think I can get her to play a co-op game with me and we'll go from there.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM

This is awesome guys! I told my wife that I have some more new games for her to try from the list you guys have created so far!

Old September 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here's from my personal library.

Great family games.
Fish Eat Fish
Cloud 9
Adandon Ship (one of my kids favorites)
Castle Panic
Emerald
Hey! That's my Fish! (one of my all time favorites)
Tiki Mountain
Through the Desert
10 Days In Asia
10 Days In The USA
10 Days In Africa
Cartagena

A tad bit more extreme, but FUN!
Conquest of the Fallen Lands
Pandemic with the expansion On the Brink
Pirates Cove
Pillars of the Earth
Stone Age
Small World
Tales of the Arabian Nights (We find this one fantastic!)
Rush n Crush
Prophecy

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games