Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:59 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
PS3 vs. XBox 360

Hey guys,

I've been looking around the internets for info on XBox 360 vs. PS3 and it seems hard to seperate who may be a fanboy for one system or the other. The other option is a reviewer who says its really a matter of preference: Regular fries or curly fries.

So I have an Xbox 360 and am planning on getting a PS3 this month (if the rumors about the bundle with MLB The Show 10 are true).

My question then becomes is there anyone out there with both systems here on Heroscapers? And if so, how do you decide which system you buy a game for (assumign they are on both platforms).

From what I've read it appears that most games have been made for the Xbox 360 b/c of market share and then ported to the PS3. But as PS3 has been increasing sales b/c of price reductions, games publishers may start doing the reverse. And it seems that if there is any consensus out there it s that a game looks better for the system it was originally created on.

Any thoughts from those who have both systems on which system you decide to buy a game on?

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: PS3 vs. XBox 360

Japanese based games for both systems are typically better on the PS3.

American based games for both systems are typically better on the XBox 360.

Shooters are also far more popular on the Xbox 360 so multiplayer "may" tend to be better there (IE, sales for MW2 on the Xbox 360 far outstripped sales on the PS3).

Much of the problem comes from the fact that coding for 360 is far easier than coding for the PS3, so unless the developer is familiar with the PS3, the Xbox tends to be at least marginally better. Again, this varies alot.

EDIT: I will say, in most cases, the difference is negligible.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Last edited by jschild; June 4th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd say that I am pretty much a sony fan boy. Having said that, I only own a 360. The reason being, that PS3s were far too expensive. And now that I have a 360, so many games overlap that there is little reason to get both (though I wouldn't mind getting a shot at Hard Rain, Socom or anything Metal gear).

I've heard of some games looking better graphically on PS3, but of other games that perform better (not sure what was meant by that, I think glitching ect) on Xbox, because as noted above, the games seem to be written for that system.
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Also, the 360 is always on the forefront of online media of all the systems. It had Netflix looong before the other 2 systems and is gettting Hulu soon as well.

EDIT: To be fair, you do get Blu-Ray with PS3.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Last edited by jschild; June 4th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well, it does kind of depend on the game. Any multiplayer game you are going to want to get on the 360, that's a given. But besides that, a lot of other games are better on the 360 than on PS3. You kind of just have to do a little digging and see if you can find somebody who says if one version is better than another.
Old June 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker

My nephew has a 360 and I recently within the year got a PS3. (Got a slim when they first came out.) I have an HDTV, my nephew has one as well. I can tell you that a side-by-side comparison of games like NHL10 look identical. I've not heard of many instances where games look better on one system vs. another, except say for maybe Final Fantasy XIII. (Where a group did an independent stuff and took high-res screen caps and broke it down under magnification. But even still then, it was a matter of really splitting hairs.)

I do often wonder, however, if the PS3's full potential in terms of hardware processing and such has reached the peak. Because sales were so slow for Sony to start with, mostly due to the hefty price tag, the games market was kind of dragging behind. But, as noted above, now that the price has dropped and sales are starting to pick up, we could see more developers using the PS3. (Not that they will stop with the Xbox, that's for sure.) The Xbox has had pretty much free reign and great sales for a good awhile and though I don't claim to agree with what I've read, some places seem to think that the Xbox may have hit peak potential in terms of how much you can push out of the hardware.

I also don't think that multi-player games are better on the Xbox, but I think the overall online community and experience on the Xbox is better designed. Sony is way behind in the avenue, but they are trying hard to catch up. A lot of games can take advantage of Xbox's online structure (take a look at RockBand, for example. If you're into that kind of thing. Xbox users get access to the RBN strait out of the box, while PS3 owners are left looking around saying... 'Hey, I want to use all of those songs!') That's because the software used for the RBN basically works with the 360 right from the go, where the PS3 couldn't integrate with it well and will have to have a better solution.

Now, I don't know what Xbox system are like NOW... but I do know at one point, there was no wifi out of the box. (They may have changed that by now, so someone please correct me if I am wrong.) The fact that I didn't have a blu-ray player and had to use wifi pretty much sold me from the start for PS3. (Welll, and I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan. Sure, you can get XIII on the 360, but XIII Versus still remains a PS3 exclusive at this point.) Plus, I do like to be able to play some of my games on my PSP via RemotePlay. (Though, it is limited in terms of the library.) I just wish the PS3 slims did the whole PS2 backwards compatibility thing.

I don't think anyone can go wrong with either system. They are both fantastic consoles and I think it really comes down to personal choice in terms of what is more important to you. Trying to compare a 360 to a PS3 is a lot harder than say comparing a 360 to a Wii. (Which is still a fun system, but obviously not in the same league.)

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
(Codex downloadable into a spreadsheet for easy self-sorting)
Note to self: One ladder for every TWO levels!!!!!!
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Nivik23 is surprisingly tart

I have every system. I rarely touch my Wii or DS or PSP. I use my Xbox360 for Netflix and Bayonetta. I use my PC for FPS & RTS. I use my PS3 for everything else.

Although I might get Halo Reach to play co-op with my brother and nephew, so I would have 2 games I actually play on Xbox then.

In general I would say games are better on PS3, but I would always double check multiple sources on the internet first because that is not always true, ie Bayonetta is way better on the Xbox but in most cases the differences are small and it will probably come down to in-game exclusives or some such nonsense.

NiV23
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Dr Feelgood

You know you can use Netflix on your PS3 now.

Old September 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!

BluRay sold me on the PS3. In fact we watch DVDs and BlueRay disks on the PS3 just as much as we use it to game with. The new remote sensor controllers (similar to the wii) coming out for the PS3 look very interesting as well. The possibilities of playing wii style games with PS3 graphics is pretty exciting.

My Custom Terrain Thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=448
My tribute site to TFT/Melee & Wizards: http://www.meleewizards.com/
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM

adbirk19 is surprisingly tart

XboX halo nuff said

stingers>everything else
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:05 PM

foofoofun is surprisingly tart

I have a xbox and use a ps3 often and it always comes down to what game you want. People tend to buy systems because it has the ability to play the games the buyer wants to play.(I am an example of this theroey because the only reason I have a ds is because of pokemon) My edvice is to see what games you want and then get the system that supports your pick of games.

good will always win but evil will never die
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

I've never owned an xbox but I do own a ps3. I'm very satisfied with it. I go online to playstation home, playstation store. I watch blu-ray movies and play several addicting games with great graphics. (FFXIII, Assassin's Creed, and Heavy Rain are a few examples.) I do think that xbox is more of a multiplayer console. If you have a psp you can download games from the ps3 and transfer the data to the psp, so that's a bonus, but it takes up lots of memory on the psp. There are other features on the ps3 like photos, and music, but I have yet to play with those yet.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games