Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM

Nomyster Woo who?
Orc Army

My friend is trying to make an orc team. This team already consist of:
Ornak
Tornak
Grimnak
Arrow Gruts
Heavy Gruts
Blade Gruts
His question is how many common squads should he use in a 500 point team? Thanks
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:46 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Orc Army

Depends on which squad he wants to use. Generally in an orc army, it is better to have just one type of grut squad. If he doesn't have bonding options for the arrow gruts, he shouldn't use them. In a 500 point army, having all three orc champions is way to much. A good general rule for bonding squads is to have 1 per champion plus an extra one.
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM

STEALTHRULER is surprisingly tart

You dont need a flag bearer, the Grimnak and Tornak in one army. If Like mooseman said, if you have no bonding for the arrow gruts, don't use them. Take away 1 or 2 hero's and put in the swog rider if you have him. If you don't have him, then take away a hero or 2, and fill the space with more blade gruts. That's my 2 cents.

My Customs My Maps
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:17 PM

DeadEye is surprisingly tart

go with Grimnak and Tornak, then throw in with the rest of the Heavies and Blades

Grimnak - 120
Tornak - 220
Heavies - (X2) 360
Blades - (X3) 480
then you have 20 points for Marcu or someone.

DeadEye
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:24 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Or go all Heavies.

Heavy Gruts x4 280
Tornak 380
Grimnak 120

I prefer heavies because they're tougher. Usually two defense won't quite cut it.

You could also use Nerak if you have him.

Nerak 50
Tornak 150
Grimnak 270
Blade Gruts x5 470
Marcu + Isamu 500

You could replace Ornak for Tornak in that build, since he would let you use your heroes more. That little bit of diversity can affect your opponent, since they don't know who you're going to move next.
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM

its me lol is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Or go all Heavies.

Heavy Gruts x4 280
Tornak 380
Grimnak 120

I prefer heavies because they're tougher. Usually two defense won't quite cut it.

You could also use Nerak if you have him.

Nerak 50
Tornak 150
Grimnak 270
Blade Gruts x5 470
Marcu + Isamu 500

You could replace Tornak for Ornak in that build, since he would let you use your heroes more. That little bit of diversity can affect your opponent, since they don't know who you're going to move next.
Fixed

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain
-Axl Rose
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:12 PM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

What is an effective strategy for using Arrow Gruts? Even with the swogs, they are light-hitters. I don't get much done with them.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:22 PM

Agent of Vydar is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossman View Post
What is an effective strategy for using Arrow Gruts? Even with the swogs, they are light-hitters. I don't get much done with them.
Krug and Mimring, trust me even though they are not orcs they fit well into an orc army.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...191#post646191 Check out my Epic Battles! Vote for Samurai Showdown or Northern Outpost!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

As a general "killercactus Orc rule", I only use Ornak with Orcs if I'm gonna use Marcu also. I also tend to use him more with the Blade Gruts, since he has 6 move to keep up with them. I like to clump the Heavies around Grimnak most of the time. Here's a couple of Orc armies, with a little flavor (read as: range or defense) splashed into each:

Grimnak - 120
Ornak - 100
Marcu - 20
Blade Gruts x4 - 160
Krav Maga Agents - 100

Total = 500

Grimnak - 120
Tornak - 100
Heavy Gruts x3 - 210
Raelin - 80
Isamu - 10

Total = 520

Krug - 120
Mimring - 150
Swog Rider x3 - 75
Arrow Gruts x3 - 120
Airborne Elite - 110
Marcu - 20

Total = 595

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Orc armies are something I've been wanting to get into for a while, but haven't done so yet with the high cost of blade gruts and Tornak. But, how does an army full of heavy gruts fair against ranged attacks? Since most of the build is all melee it seems like it would go down fairly quickly to me...
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:07 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomyster View Post
My friend is trying to make an orc team. This team already consist of:
Ornak
Tornak
Grimnak
Arrow Gruts
Heavy Gruts
Blade Gruts
His question is how many common squads should he use in a 500 point team? Thanks
And the answer is . . . as many as possible.

The above "group" would probably benefit most from

Grimnak
Heavy Gruts x 5
[Eldgrim would make a good filler here]

Or if you want to be safer with range:

Grimnak
Heavy Gruts x 2
Krug
Grut Archers x 3

This can be a great combination

I'm sure you can tell that I like the heavy gruts a lot better! I love Ornak, but he really doesn't work well in an all-orc army. You need to use Ornak with ranged heroes like DW9000 and DW 8000 or low-cost heroes like Isamu.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
Orc armies are something I've been wanting to get into for a while, but haven't done so yet with the high cost of blade gruts and Tornak. But, how does an army full of heavy gruts fair against ranged attacks? Since most of the build is all melee it seems like it would go down fairly quickly to me...
I would only play an all-melee version with:

1) the Heavies, with Champions
2) with Raelin

I've had success against range with Orcs. It really helps that they have bonding and they can disengage. I like Raelin in the all-melee builds to help get them there though. Heavy Gruts with Raelin and added defense from a Champion are throwing 6 dice. Along with Jungle trees and moving 5 figures per turn, they can make it to the fight against range.

Also, none of these armies have yet considered Nerak, who can add more defense.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion