Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old July 19th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!
LOS with special attacks

Hi all! I've been thinking and have been wondering about special attacks. I searched the forum and read the SotM rulebook but didn't find much, so I'm starting this thread. Okay, so I was just wondering about LOS with specials. I know very well that you need to see part of a figures hit zone to attack it when not adjacent, but I'm starting to think that for some special attacks you don't need to. For example, Zelrig and Jorhdawn's fire attacks don't say you need to see the figure you're attacking. If you do need to see the enemy then why would other special attacks specifically say you need a clear line of sight, like on Deathwalker 9000's card which says he only needs a clear sight shot. Or does the card have to specifically say that you don't need a clear LOS, like when you lob a grenade with the Airborn Elite? Thanks for your help!

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: LOS with special attacks

All special attacks need LOS unless it is stated in the ability that they don't, like the AE. DW's Explosion can hit multiple figures, but he only needs line of sight to the one he is targeting. The same goes for majestic fires and rain of flame.
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

There is a difference between "Line of Sight" and "Clear Sight". "Clear Sight" only requires you to have the ability to see any part of the targetted figure, including gray non-hit zones on the figure.

ALL attacks, including Special Attacks, require Line of Sight, where you must be able to see any part of the targetted figure's hit zone (the red).

Check your rulebook again.
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks SS for defining the difference between clear sight, and line of sight. However, I may have chosen the wrong example by choosing DW9000 as the example. A better one would be the Roman Archers, who's card clearly states that they need a clear line of sight on the targeted figure. I know the LOS sight rule very well as far as regular attacks are concerned and ever since I've been playing, I have used them for specials too, but I have just been looking at different cards and noticed that some don't say specifically that you need a clear LOS, while others do. If it's a rule that needs to be followed by ALL attacks, then why would a card like the Roman Archers specifically say you need a clear LOS?

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
My custom terrain
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandarforever View Post
If it's a rule that needs to be followed by ALL attacks, then why would a card like the Roman Archers specifically say you need a clear LOS?
Because the Roman Archers have an attack with more than one attacking figure. It is simply added for clarity.
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
If it's a rule that needs to be followed by ALL attacks, then why would a card like the Roman Archers specifically say you need a clear LOS?
The card specifies that all of the Roman Archers involved in the combined attack need clear line of sight, as opposed to only needing one Archer to site the target- NOT as opposed to not needing LoS at all.

EDIT: And what Mooseman said.
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
Quote:
Because the Roman Archers have an attack with more than one attacking figure. It is simply added for clarity.
Okay thanks! So if a card states that you need clear LOS, then there is usually a special condition for stating the obvious?

My custom terrain

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's