Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the better melee Marro squad?
Marro Dividers 43 47.25%
Marro Drones 48 52.75%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:42 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Unit Debate #7 -- Marro Drones Vs. Marro Dividers

If luck is with you, the drones can do a ton of damage, and are scary. If luck is with you, dividers can be nearly-un destroyable. If I have a magic D20, I'd rather have and impossible to kill unit. In a tournament on saturday, I was almost totally anhilated because of 7 lucky divides early on. I don't know how I pulled off that win.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

I voted for the drones 50% based on theoryscape because I have not used or fought against Dividers yet (I might draft them once or twice max just to test them). The squads are very similar in numbers and stats. However, the drones move faster and give you a decent probability of a 6 attack in one turn and give you the exact same probability of attacking with 9 as it gives you of "saving" one divider and resucitating a 2nd one. If fact, unless Dividers float your boat in looks, etc., the drones will continue to be drafted more than the Dividers ever will. I have no doubt at all that if you play these squads against each other the drones will prevail more times than the dividers. I might only take two or three successful swarms in one game to decide it. Just think what would hurt more: one turn with 9 attack or failing to kill one and resucitating a 2nd? If fact, I have seen games with drones in which one successful swarm alone of 6 attack decided the game in their favor. Really, just one swarm of 6 was enough to make a difference.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:57 PM

roostertail9000 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullar/utgar own View Post
I prefer the drones for their playability (not that I have either) with other marro units:
Hive
3x stingers
3x drones
490/24

Is a lot more effective than:

Hive
3x stingers
3x dividers
490/24
Obviously, I mean the Dividers can't be respawned by the Hive.
And I think that Cell divide is too rare to be of much use. Drones!

Boise ID Scaper
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I don't know if some of you realize this, but Tul-Bak-Ra's card says that he can teleport any friendly Marro squad figure, not just the Marro Dividers.

Some people on here seem to be saying that he only works for the Dividers. He works just as well with the Drones, too.

MegaSilver
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker

I like the dividers because they can be good with only a few squads. With the drones you need at least 4 or 5 squads to be worth their points on your army. And, the dividers helped me do well in a tournament recently.

Old July 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Personally I think Su-Bak-Na not Tul-Bak-Ra is the better fit with the Dividers. (Increasing survivability quite a bit)

However, here's why I think TBR is better with Dividers than Drones. Scenario. He teleports up and gets wounded. He teleports in some Dividers. They stand a decent chance of holding that ground and bringing in reinforcements. If he did with Drones, they might do some damage, but they ain't bringing up any reinforcements the easy way.

However if we consider the best cheerleaders for Dividers and Drones, we're looking at SBN and the Hive respectively. SBN is a much better offensive threat then the Hive with about the same survivability and takes up fewer hexes. The Hive just allows Drones to keep coming back. I'd be curious to see what the results are of a Drones and the Hive vs. an equal number of Dividers and SBN.

I'd run Drones vs. Dividers on the Matchup calculator, but it kind of gave me hiccups when I tried anything more than two squads against each other. Interestly enough the Dividers are favored about 70% when there are fewer of two squads fighting each other but then again, Drones aren't at their maximum usage. Maybe if we could get mathguy to run us some calculations on Drones vs. Dividers?
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

One more thought on this topic. The Cell Divide ability of the Dividers has a 20% chance of blocking an attack. However, it doesn't just block an attack, it adds another Divider. As a result, the attack on the Divider is only 60% as effective as it would have been without the Cell Divide ability. If we take an attack of 3 against a Divider, it has a 50.9% chance of succeeding. Since we should only consider 60% of the damage, it has an effective damage of 30.5%. That is equivalent to over 5 defense dice. With an attack of 4 on a Divider, the effective defense is nearly 6 defense dice.

The Drones are a good melee force, but they are one dimensional - attack. The Dividers can do a lot more. They can attack and they also make a very impressive melee screen. In my humble opinion, the Dividers are the better squad.
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Speculation has proven that I don't understand one of those two words

Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I don't know if some of you realize this, but Tul-Bak-Ra's card says that he can teleport any friendly Marro squad figure, not just the Marro Dividers.

Some people on here seem to be saying that he only works for the Dividers. He works just as well with the Drones, too.

MegaSilver
Yes but like I said, if you want to use him with the drones as well as you do with the dividers, you have to spend mega points on the Hive. That is really why these guys exist (dividers/TBR), IMO: To be cheaper versions of the drones.
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I don't have the Dividers yet and I don't doubt they'll be fun to play, but I've always loved the Drones and always will. Something about fast-moving, many-attacking melee units gets me every time.

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM

Lucas the beast is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I personally believe that the drones are vastly superior to the dividers. Because the cell divide ability is only activated when the divider is in danger of being destroyed. The cell divide ability would have been alot better if it was more like water cloning where you could replace a unit instead of attacking. On the other hand the drones can be replaced by the hive a much better chance of replacing a destroyed figure than the cell divide. Then the ability to move and attack with up to nine figures a turn just makes the dividers vastly inferior to the drones.

Just my opinion
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM

Lucas the beast is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Also I forgot to add that the drones can be played by themselves in an army without the support of Su-Bak-Na and Tul-Bak-Ra. I have played many armies where I have just drafted 3 squads of the drones just because they are a great all around unit. The dividers just need to be pamered to much. Also sometimes overlooked the Drones have one more move then the Dividers.

If these two squads played head to head I believe that if both squads were rolling decently on the d20 the drones would probably win over the dividers. I also think the dividers are too inconsistent to ever see any real playing time at my table.

However if playing an army with SBN and TBR I think the Dividers are better because SBN and TBR seem to work better with the dividers.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:05 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch View Post
I voted for the drones 50% based on theoryscape because I have not used or fought against Dividers yet (I might draft them once or twice max just to test them). The squads are very similar in numbers and stats. However, the drones move faster and give you a decent probability of a 6 attack in one turn and give you the exact same probability of attacking with 9 as it gives you of "saving" one divider and resucitating a 2nd one. If fact, unless Dividers float your boat in looks, etc., the drones will continue to be drafted more than the Dividers ever will. I have no doubt at all that if you play these squads against each other the drones will prevail more times than the dividers. I might only take two or three successful swarms in one game to decide it. Just think what would hurt more: one turn with 9 attack or failing to kill one and resucitating a 2nd? If fact, I have seen games with drones in which one successful swarm alone of 6 attack decided the game in their favor. Really, just one swarm of 6 was enough to make a difference.
I quoted myself to correct myself ha ha ha. I had a chance earlier tonight to play a drone army against a dividers army (actually 200 vs. 200) and figured out why the dividers are worth their points. This allowed me to appreciate teh dividers beyond my previously flawed theoryscape.

Almost at the end I had 6 drones left and my opponent had 4 dividers. I had a successful swarm roll so I go ahead with all my 6 drones in one turn. In summary, I "killed" 3 of the 4 dividers, but at the end of the turn there were 5 dividers standing! Why? Because, of the 3 that I "killed" two had successful cell divide so "did not die" and brought back two more. So that's 5. How can a successful swarm roll with 6 drones actually help my opponent regain strength in numbers? That was an amazing fit and very fun to watch.

I ended up winning at the end with 2 drones left standing. Basically the drones only get one chance to roll for swarm, while each divider gets to roll for cell divide every time he gets "killed". You can actually help your opponent by killing a divider if it ultimately results in a successful roll for cell divide. No wonder they could not get the Marro Hive to also give them rebirth. One could potentially end up with more dividers than you started with. That battle could have gone either way and left me with the impression that the 50 points for both squads is equivalent. This is a very close one.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units