Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old November 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Haven't ever seen any real quality differences in flock. It's usually all about the price.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM

omen20154 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Quick Question:

Where are some good places to buy the flock and is there a certain brand?

I have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and a local Hobby Shop close by. These places have it, right?
I perfer woodland scenics. You can normally buy that brand at hobby stores. You get a lot in their bags. It doesn't look like a lot but trust me its a lot. Enough to do 2 ROTV master sets and then some. You can't find flock in Micheals. Well at least the on in neck of the woods doesn't sell flock. For rock and sand tiles I use grey and tan sand. They do sell that at Micheals. Whatever you do stay away from Games Workshop flock. All flock is basically the same thing. G.W. just over prices their stuff. Well I hope that helps you out.
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM

lhhgbh has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by omen20154

I perfer woodland scenics. You can normally buy that brand at hobby stores. You get a lot in their bags. It doesn't look like a lot but trust me its a lot. Enough to do 2 ROTV master sets and then some. You can't find flock in Micheals. Well at least the on in neck of the woods doesn't sell flock. For rock and sand tiles I use grey and tan sand. They do sell that at Micheals. Whatever you do stay away from Games Workshop flock. All flock is basically the same thing. G.W. just over prices their stuff. Well I hope that helps you out.
Thanks, I will see if I can find that brand. I did not think I had ever seen it at Michaels. I probably passed right by it in Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago.

I appreciate the break in spending on HS pieces, but come on already!
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM

elf326 is surprisingly tart
Well, I've lately been flocking one of my two MS's combining grish and ren's methods. I can't get any flock sadly. I can improvise though, and I think it looks good. Maybe pics soon.
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Also check your local phone directory for train hobby stores. They often have a wide variety of flock and at reasonable prices because the train enthusiasts us so very much of it. More than the Warhammer group by far.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:12 PM

Nevermind. I found a lot of flock at a store.
Now I can follow Grish's tutorial.
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Just a question.

Will the tiles be okay without a sealant?

Also, would tacky glue for flock be enough to be a sealant too?

If anyone has had any unsealed set, has it held up well?

Please answer my questions anyone. Answers are GREATLY appreciated.
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:31 PM

Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby!
I would DEFINETLY seal them. Why waste the work?
Ben.

"Hi Ho, what new devilry is this?" - this may have been said if Kermit the Frog and Boromir were combined and set loose upon the world... probably not though.
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf326
Just a question.

Will the tiles be okay without a sealant?

Also, would tacky glue for flock be enough to be a sealant too?

If anyone has had any unsealed set, has it held up well?

Please answer my questions anyone. Answers are GREATLY appreciated.
I'm with Boromir and Kermit, you should seal them. With that said however, it's not necessary that you do. You'll just have to live with flock coming off in small pieces now and then. You can always dab a little glue back into those areas and add more flock once it starts to look bad. Even with sealing the tiles some flock will come off, that's why it's important (I think) to paint the tiles first.

My Custom Terrain Thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=448
My tribute site to TFT/Melee & Wizards: http://www.meleewizards.com/
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby!
You are correct Grish, if you paint the tiles you will lose less flock, if you then seal it, you will lose even less.

Something I did before even painting the tiles was to wash them with a mild detergent and then left them to dry. This was to remove the release agent that is often associated with moulding plastic. That helps the paint/glue/flock to stick.

Ben.

PS. How have you done your swamp tiles Grish, I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle them...

"Hi Ho, what new devilry is this?" - this may have been said if Kermit the Frog and Boromir were combined and set loose upon the world... probably not though.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:18 AM

omen20154 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Something I did before even painting the tiles was to wash them with a mild detergent and then left them to dry.
Thast an old GW trick. I did that to all of my ROTV MS tiles, however when it came to the tiles I had from my boosters I didn't do it (simply forgot) I never noticed a difference. Mabye I was just lucky!!!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM

If you paint it on thick it will hold, but you can use less paint by washing them first.

Ben.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles