Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 20th, 2016, 05:53 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: McMeeple's Custom Building Terrain: 3 Part Mechanic Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
Quote:
Just as a quick design note, apply it if you feel it's necessary.

I always made sure the four corners of any building contained a full hex, never a half hex. Two reasons; one the building fits on the pattern of hexes better; but two, and perhaps more importantly, a figure can stand on any of the four corners without any penalty. Especially a figure with a ranged ability. That way figures can always cover two sides of any building. Don't know if you want to go that deep into terrain design specifics but it was always a consideration for me. Figures really should be allowed to stand on the corners of rooftops without any minuses.
Yeah, that is a really good point. Man, designing square buildings on top of a hex based grid is not easy!
It wasn't easy, that's for sure. Kinda like creating a square peg to fit into a round hole.

But once I worked out the size, rules and overall design system things become much easier. That is until you try to do a design that's more complicated! Which is what you're trying to do.

By the way, gamers that use squares really have it easy! Of course , their games aren't as good IMHO.

As a side note the first building I designed and built had two full hexes in the front corners, and two half hexes in the back corners. It was immediately apparent that wasn't good when we placed it on the battlefield. I still have the building, I wasn't going to unassembled it, and I still use it. I just usually place it in the middle between two slightly longer buildings. That gets rid of the corner problem.
By some miracle everything I have done thus far ended up with a full hex at the corner! Go big or go home indeed. I really can't get an obscenely large Empire State Building out of my head...my wife is gonna kill me when she sees that one in production! If I go there, I gotta work in LEDs to light it up.

Quote:

Quote:
Requiring full hexes at the corners restricts one to buildings with an odd number of hexes in depth. If you want space to move around things get big fast!
But that's a good thing. To keep these in scale they're going to be big! Heck, some of what I did are skyscrapers! Go big or go home right!

Quote:
Thanks for the input Grish, much appreciated.
Thanks, I'm glad you appreciate the amount of work that went into these things!

Quote:
I need to stew on this before moving forward. I really want to stick to single 8.5x11 sheets for this building set so I will most likely have to compromise on something.
Yep, important consideration. And one that somewhat dictated the size of my buildings. It seems a lot of discussion went around without including me about building height. One of the main things that drove my decision to make a single story be 6 levels high was how many floors one could fit on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. That and it just scales out to that number of levels.

Just for discussion, and for you knowledge, my thinking was simple: The warehouse ruin that came with the Marvel set is something like 9 levels high? But that's OK. It's a warehouse. The ceilings should be higher. If I were ever to do a warehouse I'd match it to that official piece. But civilian structures should be shorter, and again, to scale makes them 6 high. My doors, if you haven't noticed, are 5 levels high. Just look at the door in your room at home and you'll see how that works out. It's very logical. Anyway, just for your information.

Really enjoying what you are doing with the hospital! Can't wait to see it finalized and gamed on. Perhaps Hulk can send a few characters to the hospital right?!
I did notice the door height and I have duplicated it in all my designs.

I agree on the floor height of 6. If you go 10 high you radically limit what fits on an 8.5x11 paper.

I am really interested in putting together a building designers guide book. I am reverse engineering many of the things you did (figuring out what fits on 8.5x11 for example); and fortunately you have shared many of your tips here. I am thinking of collecting all these nuggets if only for my own sake and reference. Almost like a check list of considerations and details. Then add to this all the standard dimensions and so on. Could be handy.

I just love building stuff really. Both the plans to make these and the physical construction. Its a fun mental challenge. I am in hard core build mode now, I will move to play mode soon enough and slow my output here... after all we only need so many buildings???? Nah, the more the better!
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!

Quote:
Well pushing the tower back shifts the hexes and fixes the half hexes on the corners! Its hard to remember that moving a building back a hex changes the roof configuration hex wise.

Here it is moved back:

This actually makes a nice large space in front of the tower to duke it out. I like that over a skinny row of hexes in front and back.

I think this looks like the winner in my book.
Yep, that's what I probably would have done as well! Looks great!

I know you are keeping things modular. I'd be curious how well you'll be able to shift parts of the building around once it's built. There's only so many ways these shapes can fit together.

You reminded me of an interesting story. Look at the roof of the bottom, middle building, on the sides. You'll see a closed half hex against the wall, adjacent to a shaded, open half hex.

Once, during a game, a figure playing on a similar building stopped on the outer, open half hex. In that one case we ruled that he didn't get a -1 penalty since he had another half hex directly next to him. Two halves make a whole right? Anyway, it sort of made sense in a weird kinda way. That was kinda house ruled on the fly since it broke our normal rules for half hexes. Anyway, I thought you'd find that of some interest.

My Custom Terrain Thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=448
My tribute site to TFT/Melee & Wizards: http://www.meleewizards.com/
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:45 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I know you are keeping things modular. I'd be curious how well you'll be able to shift parts of the building around once it's built. There's only so many ways these shapes can fit together.
This is why I do these semi 3d mockups. I can move the buildings all around and see how they line up...how the windows get cut off and so on. It really helps.

There is a surprising amount of variation possible. Sliding buildings forward and backward, putting them both on one side, stacking them in various ways and so on. One could even detach the two side ones and pivot them 60 degrees each to form a sort of triangle. I had considered making wedges to fill in the space.
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:55 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just as a quick design note, apply it if you feel it's necessary.

I always made sure the four corners of any building contained a full hex, never a half hex. Two reasons; one the building fits on the pattern of hexes better; but two, and perhaps more importantly, a figure can stand on any of the four corners without any penalty. Especially a figure with a ranged ability. That way figures can always cover two sides of any building. Don't know if you want to go that deep into terrain design specifics but it was always a consideration for me. Figures really should be allowed to stand on the corners of rooftops without any minuses.
Yeah, that is a really good point. Man, designing square buildings on top of a hex based grid is not easy!

Requiring full hexes at the corners restricts one to buildings with an odd number of hexes in depth. If you want space to move around things get big fast!

Thanks for the input Grish, much appreciated.

I need to stew on this before moving forward. I really want to stick to single 8.5x11 sheets for this building set so I will most likely have to compromise on something.
Well pushing the tower back shifts the hexes and fixes the half hexes on the corners! Its hard to remember that moving a building back a hex changes the roof configuration hex wise.

Here it is moved back:

This actually makes a nice large space in front of the tower to duke it out. I like that over a skinny row of hexes in front and back.

I think this looks like the winner in my book. It satisfies everything:
- space to move around
- fits on 8.5x11 paper
- no corner half hexes
- extremely modular
- build as much or as little as you want approach

Here are some variations with two towers as @japes mentioned:

Spoiler Alert!
Beautiful...love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
It was a great idea that really brought this concept to the next level and now I just have to convince you of your own brilliance.
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:39 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yeah, that is nice and would pretty much work as a map by itself.

Tornado is the Nagrub thought bubble above the head of Demarco James...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Yeah, that is nice and would pretty much work as a map by itself.
It is easy to under estimate just how huge that structure will be when put together. I can't wait
Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:03 AM

I finally built the main large building in my mechanic shop set. I mocked it up early on to see that the artwork "worked" but for some reason it took me a while to crank out the building. I would have built a lot more stuff last night but I ended up spending 3 hours putting together a geo dome thing for the kids to play on. What a PITA that was!

I think the scale of this mechanic shop is going to be great. I should have put some cars in front of it to see how it looked.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 04:21 PM

So I made a lot of progress on the artwork for the Hospital. I love the idea of having it be uber modular, but I would rather it look good then to have it be 100% flexible. So here I have two options, one with and one without doors. The doors on the side of the main building are really the only ones in question. I will most likely publish this with both options, but I am leaning towards having doors. It adds something to the design and plays nice with my stairs idea.

Front View Without Doors:

Front View With Doors

Back View Without Doors

Back View With Doors

I am still contemplating what I think of doors on the side of the tower. I will most likely add them. This would create the possibility for a 3 story stair case from the sides with 3 exits (1 on each floor). and then access to the tower roof via elevator from the front door, front of tower and top of tower.

I plan to add a few more details (helicopter landing pad and other details that will add the final pop), but this is getting much closer to what I want it to be...

As usual, any feedback is welcome. I am just working in public and sharing as I go
Old June 23rd, 2016, 04:31 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!

Perhaps the back could be an emergency room entrance.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the back could be an emergency room entrance.
That is an interesting idea. I have the text "emergency" over the front entrance, which I imagined as the emergency entrance. I also considered a loading dock type design on the back. I need to come back to it tomorrow...I am starting to get apathetic...too much time in photoshop.

I thought I was done for the day, but I added a few things including the doors on the tower.

I am really torn between doors with stairs and using ladders. Ladders seem simpler in a way and more natural. But I like what the doors add. anyway, here it is:

Sometimes when I look at it with the doors I think the extra doors break the illusion of scale. again, too much time at the computer...
Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:25 PM
Titleless

Naw, I don't think the doors break the scale. Once you put a figure on there it will give you the scale you're looking for.

I always looked at ladders as fire escapes. Not too sure a hospital would have that, but older buildings in a downtown setting would.

Most hospitals have a front entrance, and an emergency room entrance. You could design a scenario around that.

Take a break. Look at it again fresh tomorrow!

Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:51 PM

BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker

I definitely prefer the doors version. We play a bit more simplified with our door rules. We play as long as you are on a hex adjacent to a door and have some movement left you can use your remaining move and your action/attack to come out any door on that building. We tried the elevator but found it was a bit easier for new players and sped up the game some. It's coming together very nice though. Take a break and come back fresh. Wouldn't want you to burn out before finishing. I do that with too many projects myself

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles