Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 16th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!
Re: McMeeple's Custom Building Terrain: 3 Part Mechanic Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
I don't know what it took me so long, but I finally put all the buildings I have made thus far on the same map just to see how it looked. I have been doing small skirmishes with my son and hadn't yet setup anything like this.

I have to be honest, it didn't feel nearly as epic as I expected.

So I went and got my work in progress (Oroku Saki Tower from TMNT). This thing is huge. It's truly amazing how the sky scrappers really bring the epic factor that I had expected. Even without the artwork it totally changes things (stupid printer is out of ink and will cost $100 to refil...sadness).

What I learned from this:
  • I need to put together the larger and final mechanic shop building
  • I need more tall buildings
  • I need more in between sized buildings (8 and 6 story)
  • My base terrain is lame for CityScape (sadly I only have one Marvel master set) so I am going to need to make something (thinking pink foam with hexes pressed in and painted up)
  • I need a bigger table. The map needs to be a bit wider to allow for movement behind buildings
  • I need mucho accessories! AC Units, Cars and so on

I have been working on these buildings off and on since January. Needless to say this is an absurd amount of work to play a game...but man is it worth it. Perhaps it will be ready by next January.
Ah, reminds me of the old days…..

What I mean is, when my son and I first started this whole project our little town was, well, a little town. It looked a lot like what you have pictured in your first photo (although we actually had road tiles rather than grass). We played a lot of games on that set up and had a lot of fun.

It was about that time that I started populating the town with various objects such as telephone poles, fire hydrants, etc. Only then did it start to come alive. I liken it to building a model railroad set up.

Of course the rules for picking up these objects and using them naturally grew out of that. I was searching for a complete superhero experience. And one I could also take to game conventions and run as an event (I was always somewhat jealous of other gamers huge setups, and new I could create something just as amazing).

But as time went on we wanted bigger buildings, more of a city feel to our setup. So our little town grew up. It's kinda like construction projects popped up all over Smallville as big business moved into town. Now our little village is really big. This didn't happen over night. If you enjoy the possibilities this brings to the table simply add on to it a little at a time. That's what we've been doing.

The cool thing is once you've got all of these modular parts you can design so many different scenarios. Our group has had some of the most epic fights on our city set ups. Plus they work with just about any one's custom cards. We've used C3Gs cards, Sherman Davies cards, and of course my custom super cards (forgive me, but I'm kinda fond of those).

So yea, it is definitely a commitment of time!

As for base terrain I took a bunch of 24 hexers and spray painted them grey for concrete and black for road. I've toyed with the idea of creating printouts of streets, even went as far as making a section, but abandoned the idea due to printing cost.

My Custom Terrain Thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=448
My tribute site to TFT/Melee & Wizards: http://www.meleewizards.com/

Last edited by Grishnakh; June 16th, 2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old June 16th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!

A lot of time between this:

And this:

The first picture is about where you are right now. Just get some cars on there! I don't even have any telephone poles, mailboxes, etc yet in this photo. There's absolutely nothing wrong with gaming in a small town setup. Just make up some sort of cool scenario, like the small town in the first Thor movie.

If you need help with terrain ideas just reference the last few pages of my (soon to be revised) terrain booklet:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...&id=3472/Rules

Hope that helps!

By the way the lines on the road are simple. I just stretched out a long piece of masking tape on a cutting surface. Then, using a ruler and a black sharpy, I blackened in an alternating light dark pattern. Then, using a long straight edge and an xacto knife, I cut long strips of the tape and stuck them down the middle of my roads. This has lasted a long time, years in fact. I only just recently had to touch up a few sections where the adhesive had finally given up.

Old June 16th, 2016, 06:11 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post

And this:

The first picture is about where you are right now. Just get some cars on there! I don't even have any telephone poles, mailboxes, etc yet in this photo. There's absolutely nothing wrong with gaming in a small town setup. Just make up some sort of cool scenario, like the small town in the first Thor movie.

If you need help with terrain ideas just reference the last few pages of my (soon to be revised) terrain booklet:

Hope that helps!

By the way the lines on the road are simple. I just stretched out a long piece of masking tape on a cutting surface. Then, using a ruler and a black sharpy, I blackened in an alternating light dark pattern. Then, using a long straight edge and an xacto knife, I cut long strips of the tape and stuck them down the middle of my roads. This has lasted a long time, years in fact. I only just recently had to touch up a few sections where the adhesive had finally given up.
I appreciate the perspective. I have to admit I had greater expectations

If it was too fast and easy it wouldn't be as rewarding would it!

Great idea on the tape. I have considered large format printing. I don't care for the idea of painting the terrain I do have since I use it for other scape sutff as normal. So I think I will end up making a pink foam board. I recall a tutorial about pressing hexes in...then I can just paint that to look like a road. It won't be modular...but I could make it two sided with different layouts.
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:14 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know what it took me so long, but I finally put all the buildings I have made thus far on the same map just to see how it looked. I have been doing small skirmishes with my son and hadn't yet setup anything like this.

I have to be honest, it didn't feel nearly as epic as I expected.

So I went and got my work in progress (Oroku Saki Tower from TMNT). This thing is huge. It's truly amazing how the sky scrappers really bring the epic factor that I had expected. Even without the artwork it totally changes things (stupid printer is out of ink and will cost $100 to refil...sadness).

What I learned from this:
  • I need to put together the larger and final mechanic shop building
  • I need more tall buildings
  • I need more in between sized buildings (8 and 6 story)
  • My base terrain is lame for CityScape (sadly I only have one Marvel master set) so I am going to need to make something (thinking pink foam with hexes pressed in and painted up)
  • I need a bigger table. The map needs to be a bit wider to allow for movement behind buildings
  • I need mucho accessories! AC Units, Cars and so on

I have been working on these buildings off and on since January. Needless to say this is an absurd amount of work to play a game...but man is it worth it. Perhaps it will be ready by next January.
Ah, reminds me of the old days…..

What I mean is, when my son and I first started this whole project our little town was, well, a little town. It looked a lot like what you have pictured in your first photo (although we actually had road tiles rather than grass). We played a lot of games on that set up and had a lot of fun.

It was about that time that I started populating the town with various objects such as telephone poles, fire hydrants, etc. Only then did it start to come alive. I liken it to building a model railroad set up.

Of course the rules for picking up these objects and using them naturally grew out of that. I was searching for a complete superhero experience. And one I could also take to game conventions and run as an event (I was always somewhat jealous of other gamers huge setups, and new I could create something just as amazing).

But as time went on we wanted bigger buildings, more of a city feel to our setup. So our little town grew up. It's kinda like construction projects popped up all over Smallville as big business moved into town. Now our little village is really big. This didn't happen over night. If you enjoy the possibilities this brings to the table simply add on to it a little at a time. That's what we've been doing.

The cool thing is once you've got all of these modular parts you can design so many different scenarios. Our group has had some of the most epic fights on our city set ups. Plus they work with just about any one's custom cards. We've used C3Gs cards, Sherman Davies cards, and of course my custom super cards (forgive me, but I'm kinda fond of those).

So yea, it is definitely a commitment of time!

As for base terrain I took a bunch of 24 hexes and spray painted them grey for concrete and black for road. I've toyed with the idea of creating printouts of streets, even went as far as making a section, but abandoned the idea due to printing cost.
This is exactly what I am going through with my son (he is 7). He gets excited with each new thing we add to the setup. Inch by inch he is loving it. So in that regard it is great that it will take time. I imagine 5 years from now it will be out of control
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:22 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:

And this:

Hope that helps!

I appreciate the perspective. I have to admit I had greater expectations

If it was too fast and easy it wouldn't be as rewarding would it!

Great idea on the tape. I have considered large format printing. I don't care for the idea of painting the terrain I do have since I use it for other scape sutff as normal. So I think I will end up making a pink foam board. I recall a tutorial about pressing hexes in...then I can just paint that to look like a road. It won't be modular...but I could make it two sided with different layouts.
Good luck with the foam...I have a piece in my garage from 2 years ago that I have partially pressed hexes in. It was a pain and I never finished. It looked so much easier in the tutorial. I actually broke a few tiles. However I've learned that the original set I purchased (used of course) was not indicative of the tile quality. They are more brittle than what I've found since. Probably stored in an attic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
It was a great idea that really brought this concept to the next level and now I just have to convince you of your own brilliance.
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Titleless

Quote:
This is exactly what I am going through with my son (he is 7). He gets excited with each new thing we add to the setup. Inch by inch he is loving it. So in that regard it is great that it will take time. I imagine 5 years from now it will be out of control
How cool is that? My son started playing Scape when he was 7 as well. When I started making all of these buildings he would have been around 9 or 10. Not only did he get excited about gaming with all of this, I went out of my way to include him in the creating process as well. Talk about great bonding sessions! Of late he's been instrumental in the development of all of our superhero customs, designing them so they'd work well with our buildings and terrain rules. Things have cooled off a bit lately though, he'll be turning 17 at the end of the summer so he's really into video games with his friends. But we still make time to both discuss new ideas (usually over dinner out somewhere) and play at least once a month. You've got a great road ahead of you with your son. I cherish all the times I've had gaming with mine!

Old June 16th, 2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
How cool is that? My son started playing Scape when he was 7 as well. When I started making all of these buildings he would have been around 9 or 10. Not only did he get excited about gaming with all of this, I went out of my way to include him in the creating process as well. Talk about great bonding sessions! Of late he's been instrumental in the development of all of our superhero customs, designing them so they'd work well with our buildings and terrain rules. Things have cooled off a bit lately though, he'll be turning 17 at the end of the summer so he's really into video games with his friends. But we still make time to both discuss new ideas (usually over dinner out somewhere) and play at least once a month. You've got a great road ahead of you with your son. I cherish all the times I've had gaming with mine!
I got him started at age 4 actually with just basic vanilla Marvel Scape. After a year or so, when he had memorized all the abilities and what not because he couldn't read, I busted out the whole set. He was floored at the scale. I had all my heroscape in storage from about 2008 to 2012 (though I purchased the last things as they came out). I even slowly got out the whole set, which is rather epic when compared to your typical board game. Since then we go in spurts where we play a lot. It has been a lot of fun, I wish I had more time to play.

Its fun to have new stuff to add to the mix. I get him out into the shop helping me glue up and nail the buildings together. It's great fun.
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:13 PM

BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker

If you're looking for some modular tiles and don't mind paying the print cost take a look at my style of tiles http://www.heroscapers.com/community...7&postcount=15. Since then I've added little permanent tabs that can hold various light poles, stop signs, or stoplights. They fold down when storing so everything still stores flat.
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

This thread continues to inspire.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 17th, 2016, 02:06 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
I got him started at age 4 actually with just basic vanilla Marvel Scape. After a year or so, when he had memorized all the abilities and what not because he couldn't read, I busted out the whole set. He was floored at the scale. I had all my heroscape in storage from about 2008 to 2012 (though I purchased the last things as they came out). I even slowly got out the whole set, which is rather epic when compared to your typical board game. Since then we go in spurts where we play a lot. It has been a lot of fun, I wish I had more time to play.

Its fun to have new stuff to add to the mix. I get him out into the shop helping me glue up and nail the buildings together. It's great fun.
My son was 4 as well when we started...I actually think Heroscape helped him read so early because he was always trying to read the cards. It also helped him with his math as I always made him add and subtract skulls vs shields. He also knew the rules better than I did and he's always quick to point out if I do something wrong. He's almost 9 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
It was a great idea that really brought this concept to the next level and now I just have to convince you of your own brilliance.
Old June 17th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death!

My son Max is only 5 months, but hearing you guys and your stories about raising a little scaper is awesome. over the years my collection has grown in both size and variety with these city designs as the latest addition. I even picked up TMNT since which kid doesn't love turtles on the have shell... turtle power!

Thanks everyone for sharing.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old June 17th, 2016, 12:00 PM

Any idea for a clever name to put on a hospital in Heroscape land? I really wanted a TMNT reference here but don't really have a good one.

Here are ideas I have:

- Karithon Memorial Hospital
- Sonlen Memorial Hospital
- Arkham Hospital
- City Hospital (TMNT reference)
- Smallpox Hospital (TMNT Reference, an NYC landmark and perhaps the most messed up name for a hospital ever) (reference)

any votes or ideas?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles