Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old February 17th, 2015, 01:54 PM

SE-Mark Woo who?
Leader Squads using master set figures

I have quite a few spare RotV master set figure spares, so I was thinking up what to do with them. I've started a bit of a repaint project, and came up with an idea to make a Leader Squad by putting D9K with the Zettian Guards, and repainting them all into an arctic / snow / different paint scheme.

Here's my card text so far:

SOULBORG
UNC. SQUAD w/ LEADER
DEATHWALKER
PRECISE
LEADER: LARGE 7
UNITS: MEDIUM 5
Life: 1
Move: 5
Range: 7
Attack: 2
Defense: 4

FOCUS AND DIRECTION
Units from this squad within 5 spaces of the leader figure gain +1 attack and +1 defense, including the leader figure.

AVENGE THE LEADER
When the leader unit is destroyed, remaining units within range of the attacking figure may immediately attack the attacker if possible. All skulls rolled count as undefended hits.

EXPLOSION SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 7, Attack 3
Instead of attacking with multiple squad figures, the leader may choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by the Explosion Special Attack. The leader only needs a clear sight shot at the chosen figure. Roll 3 attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. The squad can be affected by the leader’s own Explosion Special Attack.

I want it to be a strong enough unit to last for a little bit. And I want there to be some consideration if you should take out the cronies first, or the leader first. Best if it's situational.

Thoughts on this idea? Thoughts on point value?
I can't upload a picture to heroscapers, so I'll have to cross post from my gallery on BGG. Hope this works...

Be kind, it's my first repaint

Last edited by SE-Mark; February 19th, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Leader Squads using master set figures

Unique or common? Or even Uncommon? That will have a big impact on price.

It would also probably be more consistent to run them as a squad and hero with some sort of strategic bonding.

You might want to add "if possible" to Avenge the Leader to keep the rules lawyers at bay (speaking as a rules lawyer ).

Overall, cool stuff. Do you have a Tundra to run them on? Considering their theme, if it's not too much stuff maybe even add the ability to move normally on ice/snow?

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old February 18th, 2015, 01:31 PM

SE-Mark Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Unique or common? Or even Uncommon? That will have a big impact on price.

It would also probably be more consistent to run them as a squad and hero with some sort of strategic bonding.

You might want to add "if possible" to Avenge the Leader to keep the rules lawyers at bay (speaking as a rules lawyer ).

Overall, cool stuff. Do you have a Tundra to run them on? Considering their theme, if it's not too much stuff maybe even add the ability to move normally on ice/snow?
Thanks for the input!

There's challenges that arise when you make them a common squad, for example if there were two leaders and only 2 units remaining. But yet there isn't really any reason you couldn't have 2 of these squads out on the field. So, I am going to run with your uncommon suggestion, especially since they are repaints it will be easy for me to paint each base a different color. It also means it would be easy to use one set of repaints and one set of 'normal' paints.

Yeah, a squad with a hero is traditional, but I like that this groups the entire squad together on one unit card. And the Zettians as a squad-2 feels like it needs one more anyway

I don't have a problem adding
"SNOW AND ICE ENHANCED MOVEMENT
Slippery Ice and Heavy Snow only count as 1 space when moving."

I'm also considering upping the base defense to 5, or increasing FOCUS AND DIRECTION to +1A / +2D.

Thanks for your input again!
Old February 18th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Glad to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE-Mark View Post
it will be easy for me to paint each base a different color.
Maybe a swamp team, and a lava team, and a subterranean team, ...

Though if you specialize them like that you might as well go unique-that will make wording Focus and Direction to prevent stacking easier.

Old February 19th, 2015, 12:19 AM

SE-Mark Woo who?

Got my D9K repaint done.

Old February 19th, 2015, 12:23 AM

SE-Mark Woo who?

Quote:
Glad to help.

Quote:

Though if you specialize them like that you might as well go unique-that will make wording Focus and Direction to prevent stacking easier.
What about something like,
"RELENTLESS ADVANCE
Ignore all terrain movement effects except for change in elevation"
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:57 AM

Seraph knows what's in an order marker Seraph knows what's in an order marker Seraph knows what's in an order marker

Would that include not stopping in water?
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Glad to help.

Quote:

What about something like,
"RELENTLESS ADVANCE
Ignore all terrain movement effects except for change in elevation"
I see now that I missed the word "base" in your post.

I though you were painting each squad an entirely different color scheme. Hence my thought that different color=different terrain.

Old February 19th, 2015, 02:20 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

So... the idea is that the Deathwalker is part of the squad... sort of? That isn't really a thing that can be done in regular Heroscape, you'd need to actually write some rules for what an 'Uncommon Leader Squad' is. I'm not sure why you'd want to go through all that trouble though, you get 99.999 percent the same thing with a Hero and a Squad with some type of Strategic Bonding. The 'Leader Squad' thing doesn't really seem worth it.

Avenge the Leader needs a fair bit of re-wording either way, out of turn attacks are a no-no in Heroscape. Since it's already unblockable damage anyway, you could just switch it to rolling 2 dice for each squady within 7 spaces with each skull giving a wound. It also needs to clarify if it only triggers on attacks (which I guess is the intent given the 'attacking figure' part later on) or whatever.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:56 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Cool @SE-Mark . See thread Customs using Master Set Figures (RotV, SotM, BftU) for other ways to use your extra figures.
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:30 PM

SE-Mark Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Would that include not stopping in water?
Yes. But they only have move 5 so it shouldn't get too ridiculous.
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:51 PM

SE-Mark Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
So... the idea is that the Deathwalker is part of the squad... sort of? That isn't really a thing that can be done in regular Heroscape, you'd need to actually write some rules for what an 'Uncommon Leader Squad' is. I'm not sure why you'd want to go through all that trouble though, you get 99.999 percent the same thing with a Hero and a Squad with some type of Strategic Bonding. The 'Leader Squad' thing doesn't really seem worth it.

Avenge the Leader needs a fair bit of re-wording either way, out of turn attacks are a no-no in Heroscape. Since it's already unblockable damage anyway, you could just switch it to rolling 2 dice for each squady within 7 spaces with each skull giving a wound. It also needs to clarify if it only triggers on attacks (which I guess is the intent given the 'attacking figure' part later on) or whatever.
Not really "sort of" It is a squad with a specific figure that is the leader of the squad. The leader has the same stats as the rest of the squadies, but while he is alive he is in command of his squad and keeps them on task and 'looks out for them' allowing the +1A / +1D.
One reason to group them on one card is so that they are always chosen together. A person can draft this one card instead of D9K and Zettians separately. Otherwise I agree it could work as 2 separate cards with champion bonding and two separate point values.

The rewording to remove the out of turn attack makes sense. The only difference I see is in my version is the squady could get an extra die for height advantage and glyph effects. Also, the range 7 bit needs to be from the attacking figure. It triggers "when the leader unit is destroyed" regardless of how that came to be. The idea is that the squadies witnessed the sequence of events that perpetuated into the death of their leader, and immediately, before the attacking figure has a chance to defend themselves, cracks off a couple of shots. If he dies from a fall from height or something that doesn't have an "attacking figure" I suppose they don't shoot at anyone.

Thanks for the feedback though. If anyone wants to try it out, you really don't even need to repaint your zettians / d9k and I'd love to hear how you find them in play.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards