Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpade
Heroscape is a game.

Warhammer is a hobby.
Hobby - an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

Heroscape is a hobby. Warhammer is a chore.
Amen to that!

I had a bud who was into warhammer back in the day. Not that I ever saw him play, or that I ever played it with him...He just spent loads of cash and had stacks of unfinished units.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
I have actually gotten into 40k quite heavily lately and I for one enjoy it. My son and I have started collecting Tau and Tyranid models and are really having a good time with it.

I enjoy the miniature painting and usually spend a couple of hours (10-12) most nights winding down from my day. I find it very relaxing.

As far as cost goes, yes it is expensive. Expecially if you buy everything direct from GW. But you can go to places like http://www.bwbits.com/ and save a considerable amount. If you have a local GW shop you can hang out and get to know some of the locals. They almost all have extra bits here and there from buying box sets that they are willing to trade or sell reasonably. I was able to get a 1,000 point nid army and a Tau Devilfish, Hammerhead and Squad of Firewarriors for less than $100.

It is an investment in time and money and I would make sure it was something you wanted to do before you got into it because it isn't for everyone. You could always go a GW bunker to get some games in before you buy.

If you are into 40k you could just buy the "Battle of Macragge" box set for $45. You get a nice little Tyranid force and a nice little Space Marine force. You also get a smaller version of the rule book and some little terrain pieces some dice and templates.

If you are into the Fantasy side you could buy the "Battle for Skull Pass" also for $45. Here you will get a Dwarf force and a Goblin force as well as a small rule book, dice, etc..

If I were you that's what I would do, even if you decide not to get into it for the long hall, you still have a cool little game you pull down and play from time to time.

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:57 PM

kanegrundar has disabled reputation
Eh. I've played both 40K and Fantasy and neither are that great. I prefer their skirmish games Necromunda and Mordheim to the bigger games.

Pros:
You can usually find a lot of people that play it.
It can be a great creative outlet.

Cons:
It's expensive, extremely so. GW has a bad habit of jacking the price up on their games for little reason, but gives the excuse of rising costs, while other companies either stand pat or only raise their prices a little.
It's rules-heavy.
Many of the big Warhammer fans (either variety) are a pain to be around. There's nothing that annoys me more than a gaming snob.
GW has TERRIBLE customer service.

All in all, I'd stick to HS and then pick up some models that you really like and make-up stats for them to use in HS.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra(gon)
space hulk is cool you donot need much if you hbuy the 2nd edition. the first with two expansions.
In the States, you'd be spending several hundred dollars for the base game and expansions (if you can even find them that is).
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:19 PM

SilverBlade has disabled reputation
Warhammer

I like the visual impact and I don't think the rules are nearly so bad as all that. I tried to get into it a few years ago but lost my playing partner (who was the same guy who encouraged me to invest in the first place) when he bailed over cost. Seriously, if you guys are put off by rules try looking at something like micro armor. Start with Challanger published in England. OMG! It takes 5 min to resolve a missle attack. After that and d20 RPGs (and I still love both btw) WH is no biggie. Like all complex game systems, you just have to study it and go in with a strong knowledge base. I hope to get into it again someday, but I have to have a stable game buddy ( at Bannister) and lots of time to invest at a sane rate. I utterly despise haveing to paint the figures though.

The Code:

Let the strong protect the weak.
Let the weak revere the strong.
In all things uphold honor, charity, and justice.
And may fear have no place in the hearts of men.
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:48 PM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanegrundar
Eh. Many of the big Warhammer fans (either variety) are a pain to be around. There's nothing that annoys me more than a gaming snob.
So far, I have only found a couple of guys that annoyed me. Mostly I have found the guys hanging around the local shop to be very pleasant and helpfull. Only snickering a little as I learned the ropes.

If you just want to play a game or two here and there with friends anyway, you don't really have to worry much about game Nazis, unless of course you are friends with a game Nazi. In that case well.. I guess your just stuck no matter what games you play.

Quote:
GW has TERRIBLE customer service.
As far as my local store goes, I couldn't disagree more. These guys have all been great from the store manager down to the new guy. Now don't get me wrong, I have gotten the hard sales pitch a time our two but still, they have been really nice about it.

Bannister Howell III

PS @ Silverblade, I am game

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannister
So far, I have only found a couple of guys that annoyed me. Mostly I have found the guys hanging around the local shop to be very pleasant and helpfull. Only snickering a little as I learned the ropes.
That's a 180 from my experience. When I was learning the ropes of Necromunda back when it first came out, I had to deal with GW fanboy pricks that hated any other game; hated the way my figs were painted; and were overall rude. The owner of the shop was helpful, though, and the only reason I stuck around.

Quote:
If you just want to play a game or two here and there with friends anyway, you don't really have to worry much about game Nazis, unless of course you are friends with a game Nazi. In that case well.. I guess your just stuck no matter what games you play.
I disagree. You don't have to play with a jerk.

Quote:
As far as my local store goes, I couldn't disagree more. These guys have all been great from the store manager down to the new guy. Now don't get me wrong, I have gotten the hard sales pitch a time our two but still, they have been really nice about it.
Now is this a GW store or a regular shop that sells other non-GW product? I've never been in a brick and mortar GW shop, so I don't know aobut that, but I'd also be hard pressed to set foot in one after a couple of bad experiences with the mail order department. There's nothing like ordering a figure and not getting it for four months then being told time and again that it was just tough I wasn't getting my figs. Yeah. Real nice. I waited about a year or so before ordering again. I heard things had improved. Nope. It only took 2 and a half months that time, but still with the snippy attitude. That was...jeesh...10 years ago. I'll never give them my business again. There are MUCH better games and figures on the market anyway.
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:24 PM

SilverBlade has disabled reputation
It's not so bad.

Well, to each his own I guess, kanegrundar. But for myself, I'm just a "gamer". Not a Heroscaper, not a Roleplayer, and not a CCGer. There just aren't very few game concepts that I'm completely put off by. Although some of the million or so RPG themes are getting a little ridiculous. Shucks Bob, I even like HeroClix on occasion, and there is some major Holier than Thouness between HS and HC.

The Code:

Let the strong protect the weak.
Let the weak revere the strong.
In all things uphold honor, charity, and justice.
And may fear have no place in the hearts of men.
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:31 PM

Re: It's not so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade
Well, to each his own I guess, kanegrundar. But for myself, I'm just a "gamer". Not a Heroscaper, not a Roleplayer, and not a CCGer. There just aren't very few game concepts that I'm completely put off by. Although some of the million or so RPG themes are getting a little ridiculous. Shucks Bob, I even like HeroClix on occasion, and there is some major Holier than Thouness between HS and HC.
Same here. I'm not against those that play anything as long as they aren't a prick about the game or about other games. My whole issue against GW is the company and the few "fatbeards" that take their love of the game too far. I feel the same way about the slavish pro-D20 crowd as well as the rabid anti-D20 crowd. I hope that I didn't come of as anti-Warhammer gamer. That's the not the case. I'm just anti-jerk.
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:37 PM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dra(gon)
space hulk is cool you donot need much if you hbuy the 2nd edition. the first with two expansions.
In the States, you'd be spending several hundred dollars for the base game and expansions (if you can even find them that is).

yeha, i buy only death wing ist was ca. 87 $ (luck) but gene stealer was rare expensive. but if you buy it the game play change alot more like wh40k. dand destroy the alien movie feeling.

so the 2nd is an good option, and buy some wd for mission, and new weapons.

warhammer is in europe so good as deed all cool figures from the 90th are gone many are out of print. and now is beste to get lotr.
wh40 is manny out too.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures