Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old November 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM

kpucblek knows what's in an order marker kpucblek knows what's in an order marker
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

A question about Sharwin Wildborn's Arcane Bolt Special Attack. I've searched the BOOKS for the answer to my question. Still, my son swears by this (He says the guys at the NHSD told him).

First, I know that an engaged figure must attack figure(s) it is engaged with, whether with a Normal Attack or Special Attack.
I also know that a figure like Braxas can use her Acid Breath (which is neither a Normal Attack, or a Special Attack) on figures she is not engaged with even if she is engaged with other figures.

My son swears that Sharwin Wildborn can also attack figures with her Arcane Bolt SA even if she is engaged with OTHER figures. I know the answer is NO. Does anyone know why someone may have told him this?

Thanks!

Always rummaging through garage sale bins, hoping that someone is dumping their kid's Heroscape treasures.
Old November 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death!

If engaged, Sharwin has to attack an adjacent figure with her special attack. If she inflicts a wound she may attack a figure that is adjacent to the first attacked figure, but doesn't have to be adjacent to Sharwin.

Similarly, an engaged blue dragon may attack a non-adjacent figure as well as the figure he's engaged with.

That's all I got.

Last edited by Hogg; November 11th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old November 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Um. No she doesn't need to be adjacent. It says "Range 5."

EDIT: Okay, reread the first post. If she's engaged she's gotta attack that figure first.
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasQTip View Post
Um. No she doesn't need to be adjacent. It says "Range 5."

But, if she is engaged, she has to attack the one she is engaged with. Basic attack rules.
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpucblek View Post
A question about Sharwin Wildborn's Arcane Bolt Special Attack. I've searched the BOOKS for the answer to my question. Still, my son swears by this (He says the guys at the NHSD told him).

First, I know that an engaged figure must attack figure(s) it is engaged with, whether with a Normal Attack or Special Attack.
I also know that a figure like Braxas can use her Acid Breath (which is neither a Normal Attack, or a Special Attack) on figures she is not engaged with even if she is engaged with other figures.

My son swears that Sharwin Wildborn can also attack figures with her Arcane Bolt SA even if she is engaged with OTHER figures. I know the answer is NO. Does anyone know why someone may have told him this?

Thanks!
It is a special attack, not an ability, so you would have to attack a figure you are engaged to. All the same rules apply, nothing on her card let's her break those rules.

If you are just looking to get into Scape, I have plenty of terrain to get you started!
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death!

Actually that is a great question and I don't think AliasQTip, Cav, or Xraine understands it. Say the Sharwin Wildborn is engaged to a hero who is adjacent to squad figure (that is not adjacent to you). Obviously Sharwin must target the engaged hero, but then if after the figure is wounded (but not destroyed), is the Arcane Bolt allowed to choose the squad figure? Technically special attacks are only allowed to target adjacent figures, but like explosion attack or Mimring's fire line, other figures may be attacked in a special attack. So I think Arcane Bolt is like the explosion attacks where other figures may be attacked, as they are not really targeted for attack and still meets the limitation when engaged it means you can only target engaged figures for a normal or special attack.
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM

kpucblek knows what's in an order marker kpucblek knows what's in an order marker

Yep. That's totally what I was saying. Ok, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing it. Thanks.

Always rummaging through garage sale bins, hoping that someone is dumping their kid's Heroscape treasures.
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Actually that is a great question and I don't think AliasQTip, Cav, or Xraine understands it. Say the Sharwin Wildborn is engaged to a hero who is adjacent to squad figure (that is not adjacent to you). Obviously Sharwin must target the engaged hero, but then if after the figure is wounded (but not destroyed), is the Arcane Bolt allowed to choose the squad figure? Technically special attacks are only allowed to target adjacent figures, but like explosion attack or Mimring's fire line, other figures may be attacked in a special attack. So I think Arcane Bolt is like the explosion attacks where other figures may be attacked, as they are not really targeted for attack and still meets the limitation when engaged it means you can only target engaged figures for a normal or special attack.

I disagree here (bolded above). The wording of the ability says
Quote:
... you may choose a figure that was adjacent to the defending figure at the beginning of that attack and attack that chosen figure with Arcane Bolt Special Attack ...
This puts the continuation to a second (etc.) figure as a separate attack with all the limitations that implies.

~Z

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?
My map thread
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death!

As Hogg pointed out, I think this can apply to Sharwin to be a definitive answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
The Book of the Blue Wyrmling
Choose a figure to attack. You may also choose one other figure within 3 clear sight spaces of the targeted figure to be affected by Fledgling Lightning Breath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for both figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Fledgling Lightning Breath Special Attack does not affect destructible objects.
So I could be persuaded this is different for:
Quote:
... you may choose a figure that was adjacent to the defending figure at the beginning of that attack and attack that chosen figure with Arcane Bolt Special Attack ...
But think of the power reasonably. I know it is a game not a simulation, but a "bolt" to me can go through figures and is not restricted by who you are next to only that the bolt must go from person to person starting with the first person the bolt hit. I just assume the designers meant to emulate this so kinda go by the spirit of the power when I am in doubt about minute letter of the rules.

Last edited by lefton4ya; November 11th, 2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!

Looks like this one should be sent to the Rules Team, but it looks to me like it is just like Nilf, if you are engaged, you have to attack the one you are engaged with, if you attack an engaged unit, but did not destroy it and there are no other engaged units, the attack is over.
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ok, I fully understand now. If you attack a hero you are engaged to, but don't destroy it, you can continue to attack another figure adjacent to the hero. The card does say, CHOOSE a figure.

If you are just looking to get into Scape, I have plenty of terrain to get you started!
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM

TartanDoc has disabled reputation

The crux of the argument, as I see it, is whether the 2nd, etc. affected figures are 'targeted' or not. As I understand the previous rulings of this type, you are able to affect non-adjacent figures if they are not targeted. The wording is a little bit equivocal on this power: It says the 'first target of this attack' implying that each affected figure is a target, and therefore targeted. However, it then says 'choose a figure adjacent to the defending figure and attack that', implying that they are not targeted, and therefore legal. My bias is for option 2, but I suspect this does actually warrant a referral to the rules team.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's