Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 20th, 2014, 03:12 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game (Looks HeroScap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
The design team could simply be using easily accessible game parts to test run their game. It could end up being an entirely new system of pieces.
I've seen this mentioned a couple times, and I just don't buy it. This is at a major convention for starters. They are going to have the major pieces reasonably close to how the end product will look. To go along with that, the interior hex boundaries on the boards appeared to be printed with the Heroscape hex shape detail (and possibly debossed so the hexes can actually kind of settle into position, but I might have been seeing things). Printing the hex edge detail on the prototype board is a lot of work for just using pieces on hand. Mechanically the cards suggest the hex size and height come into play just like in Heroscape, so a radically different hex would be surprising. And logistically, they still presumably have access to the tooling or dies or whatever the proper terminology is for manufacture already. Changing the size or design significantly is going to be more expensive and will cut into profit.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:29 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Video overview from Essen by way of BGG:
lol could it get any more like heroscape?

Trying not to get into my negative feelings toward magic...all I will say is I'm not getting into this because I really don't like magic. I don't believe this is trying to get magic fans interested in heroscape or miniatures, it's pretty obvious they just want more people interested in magic or to get more money from magic fans. I'm sorry but I really dislike magic, and WotC even more.
Old October 20th, 2014, 08:53 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
--Anon

"Nuts!"
--US General McAuliffe, response to the German surrender demand
Battle of the Bulge, WWII

Wow--eighteen pages in just 2-3 days! Its good to have the family together again, although ironically in a fairly negative setting. As they used to say during elections, 'returns from all counties are pouring in.' And this new game won't even be out for months.

It's been an exciting yet bitter moment. To buy or not to buy--that will be the question, and already a full spectrum of responses have been evoked; as usual around here.

In the meantime, let's all continue use our great passion and creativity on other topics, and we'll still be one of the best sites online.

Last edited by chas; October 20th, 2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think for those of us who see this not simply as an opportunity for new materials but rather as further evidence of corporate exploitation of our favorite game, a boycott is in order.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Oh, for heaven's sake. It's not "exploitation." We are such a small niche of the gaming community that we aren't being targeted for anything. We play a great game, developed by Craig van Ness (among others), and Hasbro/WotC has the rights. So they want to reuse some molds and some ideas from 'Scape to make a new game? That's pretty cool.

I'm excited to see what it looks like. I'm not going bananas or anything, and I'm not in the slightest dismayed. I'm just excited, because it's an addition to the Heroscape family tree.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Really not seeing what a boycott would accomplish.

If this is up your ally, go for it. It's not up mine (being Heroscape but not Heroscape). If I want new Heroscape product, there's plenty to be had through C3V (or if you're a superhero guy like me, C3G). So this doesn't really move the needle for me on the product front, but I'm certainly not outraged.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Seraph knows what's in an order marker Seraph knows what's in an order marker Seraph knows what's in an order marker

At 7:50 minutes, there's a drug deal go down in the background past the backdrops... or wait, that was just a magic card.
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Really not seeing what a boycott would accomplish.

If this is up your ally, go for it. It's not up mine (being Heroscape but not Heroscape). If I want new Heroscape product, there's plenty to be had through C3V (or if you're a superhero guy like me, C3G). So this doesn't really move the needle for me on the product front, but I'm certainly not outraged.
I certainly hope it's not up my ally. That'd be uncomfortable.

Seriously though, Bats and D_S have the right of it. There's little use getting all worked up over something that won't be out for a year, could drastically change between now and then, and probably won't impact us much beyond giving us a new game for our shelves or new minis for customs. If anything, let's think about putting it to good use. If you want to be affronted by the whole thing, go ahead; from where I'm standing, it's not worth the effort.
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart
Talking Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game (Looks HeroScap

Quote:
Originally Posted by El T View Post
I think for those of us who see this not simply as an opportunity for new materials but rather as further evidence of corporate exploitation of our favorite game, a boycott is in order.
Please, no one screw this up with your pettiness. I've fantasized about an MTG/Heroscape crossover since Wizards picked up the brand! Your mileage may vary, and of course you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. It's fine if you don't enjoy Magic; but, for me, it's one of the coolest fantasy IPs I've ever been immersed in! I love playing the card game with my friends, and I go down to the card shop for Friday Night Magic when I have the time to draft, or mingle.

I can't believe this is happening! It's so great to know that Van Ness is involved. I got into MTG the same time I was playing Heroscape non-stop with my high school buddies. We haven't dusted the pieces off and really played for years, but this may build new interest among the playgroup. I have humored the idea of an MTG module in the vein of Marvel or C3G, but I would need the figures - now they're finally making those, and a specifically-tooled ruleset to boot! I couldn't be more excited. Thanks, Wizards.
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When I get some time (which never happens these days) I might create a specific (community) thread for making the crossover work but these are my initial, 1st draft, thoughts:

Card Deck: Like in Magic: The Gathering, players start the game with a deck of cards (if they control a Planeswalker). (There is a minimum limit to how many cards are in this deck). If a player that controls a Planeswalker tries to draw a card, but cannot, that player loses the game. Milling is iconic to magic
Card Hand: Like in Magic: The Gathering, players start the game with a deck of cards (if they control a Planeswalker). Players start the game with 7 cards from their decks in their hand. After placing order markers at the beginning of each Round (Whenever they reveal an order marker and before taking the turn), that player draws a card. At the end of the Round/Turn, if a player has 8 or more cards in hand, that player must discard down to 7 cards.
Mana: The planeswalker casts spells by tapping lands. Tap a land by placing a tap marker on an adjacent space. The terrain type of that space yields that particular type of mana. If the terrain doesn’t match a particular mana type, the result is colorless. After tapping all wanted mana, the planeswalker casts the spell with cost matching what was tapped. If the terrain is on elevation, bonus colorless mana is gained for each elevation above the planeswalker’s base - for example, If a planeswalker is on level 3 and taps an adjacent grass tile that is on level 5, the planeswalker yields 1G. A planeswalker can only tap an empty space. If a figure ends its move on a space that has a tap marker, remove the tap marker. Otherwise, tap markers remain on the battlefield until the end of round. Before rolling for initiative at the beginning of each round, remove all tap markers from the battlefield.
  • Grass = Green
  • Stone = Red
  • Swamp = Black
  • Water = Blue
  • Sand = White
Order Markers: function the same as in Heroscape. Planeswalkers have greater function and thus most order markers will generally be on one’s Planeswalker, but if a figure is out of Move range to be tapped, order markers is a viable way. (This is also true if order markers can still order tapped figures). Also, putting an order marker on a squad’s Army Card is a more guaranteed way to take a turn with each figure on that card. A Planeswalker doesn’t need to have any order markers to tap spaces or cast Instants. A Planeswalker does need an order marker to tap figures and to cast Sorceries.
Reserve: Figures that are in your army, but not bought with Points are placed in your Reserve. Some special powers also place and/or start your figures in Reserve. There is no limit to how many figures are in your Reserve. If you have figures in your Reserve but none on the battlefield, you still lose the game. These figures are most commonly associated with summon spells from your card deck. (You might not have to reveal them at the beginning, removing them from your boxes and bags only after you cast them or reveal the card due to special powers.)
Tapping: At any time, a player may immediately place a tap marker on a space adjacent to his or her Planeswalker. Doing so produces Mana; see: Mana. Mana is spent to cast spells and activate some special powers. If any figure moves or attacks, all unspent mana is forfeited - there is no memory mechanic for keeping track of mana. Markers are placed and mana is spent immediately. Once something is tapped, it cannot be tapped again. At the beginning of each round, before rolling for initiative, remove all tap markers. After moving with a Planeswalker figure, that figure’s controller may tap (place a tap marker on) a figure he or she controls that is adjacent to that Planeswalker and take an immediate turn with that figure. If that figure is a squad figure, only that figure and not the whole squad may take its turn. After that turn, the player may continue tapping figures until all figures that are adjacent to that Planeswalker are tapped. A figure that is tapped cannot be tapped again until the next round. (A tapped figure with an order marker on its card may still be ordered?)

(Items in parenthesis I'm not certain on)

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:37 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by El T View Post
I'm not at all sure how that would help anyone.

Old October 20th, 2014, 02:35 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

@El_T How can it be "corporate exploitation" if the corporation owns the game? I can see your wanting it to be a true Heroscape revival, and not something that is almost-but-not-quite-Scape, but I am not sure how this constitutes exploitation...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone with more MtG experience have an idea of which Planeswalker / color would correspond with which General? Is White Jandar or Aquilla?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion