Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old December 5th, 2020, 09:45 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 12/5/20: Mokumokuren]

So, honest question... Is this guy too weird?

- - - - - - -

MOKUMOKUREN
Multitudinous Eyes

Last Light - Fighters from Fallen Fields (2/3)
Online HeroScape Link
Playtesting Results

The figure used is Mimic (Door) #021 from the D&D: Fangs & Talons set.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

DESIGN NOTES:
Spoiler Alert!

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • ABE NO SEIMEI : NIGHT OF THE YOKAI
    As a Yokai, revealed Order Markers may be moved from a Mokumokuren Army Card to any other card you control.

• ABE NO SEIMEI : SHAPESHIFT
    As a Yokai Hero, a Mokumokuren may switch his location with any other Yokai before moving normally. Other Yokai include:
  • MASHA SHINGAI : FIERY RETRIBUTION
    As Yokai, a Mokumokuren can be avenged by Masha Shingai's FIERY RETRIBUTION aura after taking a ranged attack.

• TALINGUL : MASTER OF GREAT CONSTRUCTS
    As a Large Construct Hero, a Mokumokuren may benefit from Talingul's MASTER OF GREAT CONSTRUCTS by taking a turn along with one other Large/Huge Construct Hero instead of Talingul.
Synergy Benefits Offered
    As a Yokai, another Yokai figure may switch its location with a Mokumokuren before moving normally. See the list of Yokai above.

• LESSER SHAPESHIFT
    A Mokumokuren can switch its position with an existing Construct figure instead of moving normally. Constructs include:
As always, any comments or feedback are appreciated. I'm particularly curious here to see if the figure is too recognizable as a D&D Mimic to the point of being distracting--I'm not really invested in D&D personally, so the mini looks great to me for a Valhalla spin on the Yokai, but your mileage might vary.

Last edited by Astroking112; May 15th, 2021 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Flipped revealed OM restriction on Disguise Revealed and adding range limit to Lesser Shapeshift.
Old December 5th, 2020, 10:24 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

That is a phenomenal mini that deserves use, even if Heroscape isn't a game that really features doors outside of the Fortress Door (and man, if one of those could suddenly turn into a mouth and eat someone... ). As such it'd be a difficult mini for a Mimic design.

Other than that, they do seem to be pretty useful since they can give any Yokai/Construct a sudden Chomp threat to any adjacent figure as well as teleport them back to the Start Zone free-of-charge. 70 points a pop for a Common Hero is pretty pricey though so I'd be interested to hear how they playtest.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 5th, 2020, 11:40 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Not too weird at all. That looks really cool to be honest.

I like how you have to switch them into position to do anything and how they go dormant when you aren't using them. Lots of good thematic use of the abilities. Construct is an interesting choice over Devourer or Predator imo, Mimics are technically flesh and blood creatures that just "resemble" things which is what this strikes me as depicting. I guess the Yokai approach to it is different though, any test data yet or is the idea new?
Old December 6th, 2020, 06:19 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I'm not the best judge, because I actively like weird, but... man that mini's awesome. Card looks really fun.
Doesn't look too much like a Mimic to me - I'm mostly used to seeing them as treasure chests, so this feels fine to me.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old December 6th, 2020, 09:31 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Wow, that is excellent. I have no notes, c’est magnifique!
Old December 8th, 2020, 09:13 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Many thanks for the comments and kind words, everyone! I'm really glad to see that Mokumokuren isn't landing too weirdly, and that the Mimic miniature isn't too distracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Construct is an interesting choice over Devourer or Predator imo, Mimics are technically flesh and blood creatures that just "resemble" things which is what this strikes me as depicting.
Devourer would be thematic for sure, though it's not as useful in terms of synergy (I also really like Nure Onna as a Devourer for the silly synergy with Dumutef Guards). I also really like how the Constructs are similarly hero-based, so it feels fitting for Mokumokuren to add a bit of Yokai flavor to them with Lesser Shapeshift. Talingul being able to pull off two Chomps is a bit terrifying, though.

Quote:
I guess the Yokai approach to it is different though, any test data yet or is the idea new?
I haven't tested these guys yet, unfortunately. They're fairly new and most of my allotted time for Yokai has been spent testing the original designs in the faction.

I'm currently planning to focus testing on the Kirin and Nure Onna next to get them to a similar level of polish. I'll definitely have to sneak these guys in for a game or two in the meantime, though, since I am really happy with how they're shaping up to be.
Old January 17th, 2021, 11:51 AM

I have some fun news for anyone who's been following the Yokai: thanks to superfrog, all of the Yokai so far are available to play on OHS! Here is a link to the Google Doc containing topdown images of all of the miniatures.

This link has been edited into the relevant main posts for each Yokai design (the ones linked from the main OP). I have also added alt text for the current testing stats and changes for each of the Yokai, to make them even easier to use. Thanks again to superfrog for the big help!
Old January 25th, 2021, 01:15 AM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 1/25/21: Kirin]

With more testing and tweaks completed, I figure that now's a good time to more formally create an entry in this thread for the Kirin to make tracking all of the synergies of the Yokai easier. Surprisingly, most of the changes from the past incarnation have been buffs, because while I've found that it's a fun (and terrifying!) design, it also has some very exploitable flaws baked in. More testing still needs to be done, of course (especially against melee, which in theory will hate the Kirin with every fiber of their being), but so far this is shaping up to be a promising addition to the faction.

- - - - - - -

THE KIRIN
Harbinger of Peace

Saviors of Valledonn - Heroes of a Lost Time (1/4)
Online HeroScape Link
Playtesting Results

The figure used is Ki-rin #33 from the D&D: Fangs & Talons set. The Kirin is a single-spaced figure.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

DESIGN NOTES:
Spoiler Alert!

As a Yokai, revealed Order Markers may be moved from the Kirin's Army Card to any other card you control.

As a Yokai Hero, the Kirin may switch its location with any other Yokai before moving normally. Other Yokai include:
    As a Yokai, the Kirin can be avenged by Masha Shingai's FIERY RETRIBUTION aura after taking a ranged attack.

• CONCAN THE KYRIE WARRIOR : KNIGHT AND SENTINEL ENHANCEMENT
    As a Sentinel, the Kirin may benefit from Concan the Kyrie Warrior’s KNIGHT AND SENTINEL ENHANCEMENT attack and defense bonus..
Synergy Benefits Offered
    As a Yokai, another Yokai figure may switch its location with the Kirin before moving normally. See the list of Yokai above.
As always, any comments or feedback are appreciated.

Last edited by Astroking112; May 15th, 2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Changed name to "The Kirin."
Old January 26th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I really love the combo of defense for unactivated figures and a very powerful SA against activated ones. It's very thematic and also seems like it would be both fun and potent in-game. Pretty darn strong against swarming squads, especially those that excel at reaching your inactive units. Though ironically useless against Ashigaru specifically

~TAF, impressed by the sculpt, theme, powers. Great job

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 27th, 2021, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the kind words! And yeah, I think that the subtle synergy/weakness against armies led by Kato is kind of a nice touch for a Yokai, even if it's mostly viable in casual games. Yokai + Samurai + Kato would be a fun use of 1000 points.

I am concerned about throwing the Kirin in with Deathreavers or other strong units that don't require Order Markers, but in theory at least, that would actually be a bad investment of points and time. The Kirin, Q9, and Raelin come out to a whopping 440 points together, which leaves very little room for rats in a 500 point game. It also requires spending a third of your turns on the Kirin itself to maintain the bonus, and an interesting limitation of the design is how the Kirin's defining Special Attack is worse the earlier in the round that you use it, with OM1 being useless if you win initiative. Still, anything that has the potential to boost rats or unfun strategies is worrisome, and it's something that I intend to test very carefully to make sure that it actually is okay.
Old February 11th, 2021, 02:39 PM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 2/11/21: Nure Onna]

Finishing up the tetralogy of the original Yokai revisions, here is Nure Onna! This design has easily seen the most radical revisions of all of the Yokai; @Captain Stupendous and I have pretty much redesigned her to better fit the needs of the faction following the addition of figures such as Ibaraki-doji and the Kirin. Previously, the Yokai desperately needed a multi-attacker "to be competitive" with typical HeroScape armies, but Nure Onna's reliance on water and stacking revealed Order Markers had several issues when being playtested.

This revision was made with the stronger offensive Yokai in mind as a support unit rather than a secondary attacker. Paralyzing Trap is very thematic for her legend, and it can really help the Yokai actually kill things on their turns if they can keep her alive. It's also far easier to set up with Abe no Seimei's powers, albeit you still need to keep her close enough to the action to be useful if you want to swap her in for the defense debuff. Overall, she provides a lot of value to the Yokai at this price point, and having another 20-point filler option in the vein of Bol to Isamu for Marcu Esenwein is quite appealing. Marcu's still stronger, of course, but Nure Onna has her own tricks up her sleeve(?).

- - - - - - -

NURE ONNA
Stranger on the Shore

Last Light - Night of the Yokai (4/4)
Online HeroScape Link
Playtesting Results

The figure used is Swamp Naga #27 from the Pathfinder: Kingmaker set. Nure Onna is a single-spaced figure.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

DESIGN NOTES:
Spoiler Alert!

As a Yokai, revealed Order Markers may be moved from Nure Onna's Army Card to any other card you control.

As a Yokai Hero, Nure Onna may switch her location with any other Yokai before moving normally. Other Yokai include:
    As a Yokai, Nure Onna can be avenged by Masha Shingai's FIERY RETRIBUTION aura after taking a ranged attack.

• MORGOLOTH : SWARMING VERMIN
    As a small figure who follows Valkrill, Nure Onna may benefit from Morgoloth's SWARMING VERMIN disengage ability.

• DUMUTEF GUARD : DEVOURER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT
    As a Devourer, Nure Onna may benefit from the Dumutef Guard’s DEVOURER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT.
Synergy Benefits Offered
    As a Yokai, another Yokai figure may switch its location with Nure Onna before moving normally. See the list of Yokai above.
As always, any comments or feedback are appreciated.

Last edited by Astroking112; May 15th, 2021 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added small or medium restriction to Paralyzing Trap.
Old February 15th, 2021, 12:59 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 2/11/21: Nure Onna]

I really like how simple and effective Nura Onna is, and for 20 points you can't go wrong with her in almost any army. Even on her own she has the potential to be a decent assassin, and like you said the 7 move is handy for shapeshifting. I can see Nure Onna actually being a better pick than Marcu sometimes if Wannock is not on the board.

Really liking how the Yokai faction is growing!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards