Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old February 28th, 2018, 07:11 PM

majofa is surprisingly tart
majofa's MAPS

Only map so far, so no spoilers..

In the heart of the Durgeth Swamp lies the abandoned ruins of the Einar-Wellspring Bridge....

Rumors had spread that defectors from Vydar, now settled in Kinsland, had been seen in the areas around the Durgeth Swamp. Marcus Decimus Gallus, the once great Roman Warlord, having recently fallen in popularity to the more successful Samurai, attempted to reclaim his glory. He approached Einar and proposed the plans to build a Great Road through the Durgeth Swamp, to better defend the wellspring against enemy invasions. This included building a bridge over the swamps themselves. With the road his legion of Roman troops could move swiftly to engage any enemy that threatened Einar and the much-coveted wellspring.

Work began on the road immediately. Large pillars were bored into the swamp's soil and the road built upon the pillars. Construction proceeded according to plan and was nearing the halfway point. However, during the night, loud explosions were heard all along the bridge.

When the sun finally peaked above the horizon, the devastation was seen. There was more of the destroyed bridge in the swamp than what remained on the pillars.

Several attempts were made at rebuilding the destroyed portions, but were met with the same resistance. Eventually, the bridge was abandoned with just the road leading to the Durgeth Swamp remaining.

Some speculate the long-thought extinct Durgeth themselves destroyed the bridge. Others thought it to be the Vydar defectors. To this day, the perpetrators have yet to be found...
Old February 28th, 2018, 07:11 PM

Re: majofa's MAPS

*reserved*
Old March 1st, 2018, 02:54 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

@majofa Looking at your new version...I really like it though I have one minor concern/question. I love how you've portrayed the road sinking into the swamp and yet it is still functional for getting across the map, very cool. My only question is regarding the Ticalla bushes. Right now, they are all clumped up in the corner, not really lending themselves to functional use for cover against range, other than in that pocket with the glyph. Was there a particular design reason for that? Because it seems to me that it might be useful and thematic to have the jungle weeding it's way up through the swamp amid the broken up road. That way it could serve a functional purpose of helping protect melee along their way through the map, while also making use of the Jungle pieces outside of just aesthetics. Because right now, they don't seem to be doing much more than looking nice off in the corner. I noticed that you may be using the Jungle pieces to block movement to keep units from reaching the glyphs too early...but if you take away the 1 bush closest to the road (adjacent to the jungle tree) that would still take 2 activations for any figure to reach (other than a 6move flying unit...but I'm not terribly concerned about that). You could then throw those bushes into the center of the road somewhere and still make it look good and thematic but more functional. Just some thoughts. I see you already officially submitted it...but the contest is still open, so you can keep working on it and edit your submission until the deadline is up.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:54 AM

Updated after looking at suggestions:

Old March 2nd, 2018, 01:06 AM

Also, not really buildable, but here's how the road looked predestruction.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 01:31 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by majofa View Post
Updated after looking at suggestions:

That looks great! Well done! Solid map

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 5th, 2018, 03:45 AM

New map for Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Contest:

Old March 6th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by majofa View Post
New map for Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Contest:

@Sir Heroscape @BiggaBullfrog
Old March 6th, 2018, 04:44 PM

Forgot to change the gdrive to allow people to view my maps. That's fixed now. Enjoy!
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:26 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks for the tag, Jaes! Neat map concept, majofa! This would be a cool map for some huge, high-point games.

As far as competitive play goes, though, It seems too big. There's a lot of ground to cover which is going to give ranged armies an advantage, and the channel in the middle is just going to slow advancing armies down. Four Power glyphs on a map is also a lot, and they're not evenly spaced between armies. I'd suggest tightening the build up a bit with the overall size. You could also add some more height variation - right now it's all mostly just level 2. If you can add some high points while keeping the movement fairly easy then I think this will be a cool map. And it will be big no matter what - you have a lot of terrain available in your chosen sets - but streamlining the map will make it a lot more exciting to play on (for standard tournament armies, at least -- as I said, for high-point armies it looks cool as-is).

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Thanks for the tag, Jaes! Neat map concept, majofa! This would be a cool map for some huge, high-point games.

As far as competitive play goes, though, It seems too big. There's a lot of ground to cover which is going to give ranged armies an advantage, and the channel in the middle is just going to slow advancing armies down. Four Power glyphs on a map is also a lot, and they're not evenly spaced between armies. I'd suggest tightening the build up a bit with the overall size. You could also add some more height variation - right now it's all mostly just level 2. If you can add some high points while keeping the movement fairly easy then I think this will be a cool map. And it will be big no matter what - you have a lot of terrain available in your chosen sets - but streamlining the map will make it a lot more exciting to play on (for standard tournament armies, at least -- as I said, for high-point armies it looks cool as-is).
Ditto. Too Big to be reasonable for a balanced tournament play as well as for practical purposes on a table. Everything else you said Bigga is on point, to be frank...it just needs some more work on it.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 6th, 2018, 11:32 PM

Yeah, one reason I hadn't actually submitted it yet.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios