Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 21st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Are we talking about shin kicking?

It was fun playing against you, yesterday, Velenne.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:17 AM

Troy Spiral has disabled reputation
Re: ere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Spiral
Would be nice if Ember Canyon had a 3D Title Page like the rest of the maps do with title and author line. Listing the Set requirements right under the title pdf page also seems like a nice convince that could be added.
Meh. It's all in the thread.
The usefulness or importance of such "minor" details is magnified by the number of people that will eventually use the information and the length of time its projected to be a standardized document.

I am a guy , honestly that at least does try to his homework before just running off at the mouth. Not trying to cause trouble.

It seems pretty common for people to just print out the PDFs not the website forum page rather than having to (akwardly) print out the website forum topic as a "key".

If this is (it is i assume unless the posts are no genuine) long-term project, to be used by 1000s of people , seems like a small bit of effort to make it look polished rather than sort of mildly cobbled together.

Its not a huge issue, just a very easy fix (or so i thought) that will make the whole project look more polished/professional. After going through all the work , a final bit of polish is well worth the effort i think.

Sort of like spending 30 hours on a business presentation and then using sub-par monitors to display it at the meeting when clean/clear ones were 20 minutes worth of extra effort.

I've done a lot of PowerPoint presentations at work and such but never messed with PDFs. Maybe a requirement for future maps to be approved is that the source file be provided somewhere? I was not aware that PDFs were not editable. If once submitted its impossible to make any changes without the author being alive/active it seems like that might be a recipe for frustration in the long term if edits are desired, no?

When i say a lot of presentation work, i mean a lot. Like years and years worth of meetings... ugh. heh. Maybe that's why I'm a bit of a stickler for clearly labeled / uniform keys and/or cover pages that are on the front of hard work. Especially work that will continue to be used by people indefintly.

Seriously not trying to be abrasive or argumentative. I care about these maps and their use as "standard" documents and just want to see them used as much as possible. The more polish the better for this end.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Ok, I played several games on both Klomar's Training Ground - Location 7 and Ashonqurk Fields.

I continue to find glyph problems in a lot of submitted maps. These two again give me concerns. I have issues with the glyph placements on both of these maps. I think there are much better locations for glyphs on both of these maps to direct traffic to more undesirable "strategic locations."

On Ashonqurk Fields, the very center of the board was nearly a wasteland of activity. The glyphs were near the center, but they were really just on the way up to highest ground. The games we played on Ashonqurk Fields were an enjoyable ring-around-the-big-tree-in-the-middle affair. Strange, since after playing on it and ready REV's review he seemed to have had a different experience.

On Training Ground, a glyph on the highest ground in the center of the map almost begs the fight to happen there. If this glyph was SET as a temporary glyph this might change things, but as its a mystery glyph it is probably going to be a permanent one. The flanks of the map did see some use as well, but very little.

Other than the glyph placement, these maps are symmetrical, mirror images. I for one would like to see more asymmetrical maps.

In summary, we had an OK time on these maps, but I think they are both lacking the UMPH we're looking for BOV. I vote NO on both maps.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
I vote NO on both maps.
I think that knocks Ashonqurk Fields by geosmores out of the running.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer

Definitely the most fun, intense match of my whole day. Could you tell my hands were shaking at a few points in there? Sheesh!! Had I won that initial battle for the glyphs, it might have gone differently and I might not have had to face DrL's AE/Braxas slaughterfest (leaving that horrific honor to you). You played your army very well all day, and much as I hate to see the Texas trophy taken across state lines (surely that's a crime of some sort!), I couldn't imagine a better competitor having it.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Would be nice if Ember Canyon had a 3D Title Page like the rest of the maps do with title and author line. Listing the Set requirements right under the title pdf page also seems like a nice convince that could be added.
The usefulness or importance of such "minor" details is magnified by the number of people that will eventually use the information and the length of time its projected to be a standardized document.

I am a guy , honestly that at least does try to his homework before just running off at the mouth. Not trying to cause trouble.

It seems pretty common for people to just print out the PDFs not the website forum page rather than having to (akwardly) print out the website forum topic as a "key".

If this is (it is i assume unless the posts are no genuine) long-term project, to be used by 1000s of people , seems like a small bit of effort to make it look polished rather than sort of mildly cobbled together.

Its not a huge issue, just a very easy fix (or so i thought) that will make the whole project look more polished/professional. After going through all the work , a final bit of polish is well worth the effort i think.

Sort of like spending 30 hours on a business presentation and then using sub-par monitors to display it at the meeting when clean/clear ones were 20 minutes worth of extra effort.

I've done a lot of PowerPoint presentations at work and such but never messed with PDFs. Maybe a requirement for future maps to be approved is that the source file be provided somewhere? I was not aware that PDFs were not editable. If once submitted its impossible to make any changes without the author being alive/active it seems like that might be a recipe for frustration in the long term if edits are desired, no?

When i say a lot of presentation work, i mean a lot. Like years and years worth of meetings... ugh. heh. Maybe that's why I'm a bit of a stickler for clearly labeled / uniform keys and/or cover pages that are on the front of hard work. Especially work that will continue to be used by people indefintly.

Seriously not trying to be abrasive or argumentative. I care about these maps and their use as "standard" documents and just want to see them used as much as possible. The more polish the better for this end.
I am going to have to agree with Troy, even if it means more work for me. I think it would be a good thing to also have the maps listed in downloads as BOV maps. People could simply do a search for BOV within downloads and quickly find the tournament maps they are looking for.

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer

Definitely the most fun, intense match of my whole day. Could you tell my hands were shaking at a few points in there? Sheesh!! Had I won that initial battle for the glyphs, it might have gone differently and I might not have had to face DrL's AE/Braxas slaughterfest (leaving that horrific honor to you). You played your army very well all day, and much as I hate to see the Texas trophy taken across state lines (surely that's a crime of some sort!), I couldn't imagine a better competitor having it.
I did NOT see your hands tremble at any point. I thought you were going to whip my Ar-kans-as. But the dice were nice to me.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
Greetings!

I would like to nominate one of my own maps for consideration into the BoV.
Map: Swamp Thing - Tournament Edition
Link: Here
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:01 PM

Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker
I'll go make that map soon to see how it looks in person. Before I do, though, I'd like to request that the 24-hex Swamp Water tiles are on level 3 instead of the 2 24-hex grass on level 3. I think it looks better that way, personally.

Bloody the Marro Stinger is the Chimeran Ravager in the....
KEEP OF THE NECRONOMICON
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by UranusPChicago
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am going to have to agree with Troy, even if it means more work for me. I think it would be a good thing to also have the maps listed in downloads as BOV maps. People could simply do a search for BOV within downloads and quickly find the tournament maps they are looking for.
These are good points; the only way to accomplish is to redo the download. Not a big deal, it just takes time. Expect a further update on this effort.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
I'll go make that map soon to see how it looks in person. Before I do, though, I'd like to request that the 24-hex Swamp Water tiles are on level 3 instead of the 2 24-hex grass on level 3. I think it looks better that way, personally.
Thanks for the input...however, I try to strive for realism with my maps. I don't incorporate lava and glaciers on the same board and such. Swamp land for the most part is at or below sea level, and should only be presented on the lowest level of a map.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM

Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker
I just made the map, and I'm worried about it. Here are the reasons:
1. Not enough Cover: The cover is horrible. If you're standing from the highest point on the map (The 2-hex sand), you can ignore the trees directly in front of you almost entirely. Only the trees to your right have any cover whatsoever while standing on that hex, and good luck getting there, since the way there from the other side is in plain sight.
Solution: There's not much you can do. The only thing that will help is moving the tree blocking the rock tile from normal ground onto the three hex on height on both sides, but that's minimal and makes the middle even more vulnerable then it already is.
2. Too much height: The height that's on this map basically makes a Swamp Valley, and that's where the crux of the problem lies. It is extremely difficult to get across the Swamp Water without getting torn to bits, and while the Glyph Location is fine, there's just no way getting around that the player who has the heights on either side of the map will dominate.
Solution: Nothing. Doing too much would eliminate the feel of the map.
3. Height too close: The height is extremely close to the starting zone. A player with the Krav Maga could get on top of the 24 hexers in one turn, and the 7 hexer in the next. That basically allows the player playing them to dominate the map insanely quickly. Ranged units will dominate the map, especially Q9, who will kill everyone.
Solution: You COULD move the height out a little, but again, it's difficult to do that.
So that's why I am worried about it. Thank you for your time. It's a nice map, but I think it has a few kinks to work out.

Bloody the Marro Stinger is the Chimeran Ravager in the....
KEEP OF THE NECRONOMICON

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios