Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old January 24th, 2009, 10:51 AM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Bulleteer, Libery Belle, Uncle Sam

BULLETEER
- She looks good, but 180 might be kind of cheap for a 5/5 and 7 life. Add in the auto shield and she looks way under-priced to me. I guess the closest comparison would be Q9 also at 180 and look at what you are getting with Bulleteer.

Q9 (4 Life/7 Def.) - Avgs. 2.33 shields per roll
Bulleteer (7 Life/5 Def. + Tough) - Avgs. 2.66 shields per roll

Now regardless of the flying and the base attack of 5, there is already a big advantage to Bulleteer, it will take a very long time to break through those 7 life. Even granted Q9's awesome special, she can still move much easier (single-spaced, +1 move, flying) and attack with a 5 opposed to Q9's 4. And Q9 is generally considered under-priced as well.

Bulleteer should be at least 230, IMHO. I think she could take Cap no question.

LIBERTY BELLE
- I like her Let Freedom Ring ability a lot; very creative to have it never work again if you roll a 1!
- Again I think she is slightly too cheap, not as much as Bulleteer, but with a 50% chance of doing additional damage with her special, a base 5 attack, and 4 defense with stealth dodge, a jump of 10-20 would be good.

UNCLE SAM
- Great adaptation of Spartacus's Gladiator Inspiration.
- I think the point value is good, I would test out the stars ans stripes ability. Rolling every turn could get a little over-bearing.
- Also, can Uncle Sam really hit harder than Thanos? the Silver Surfer? Abomination?

Old January 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Garada's Customs -01/24- Bulleteer, Libery Belle, Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestuff View Post
She must use a lot of double sided tape...
No kidding! The creator, Grant Morrison, said the following in an interview: "I think of this one as my '(Brian) Bendis book' but it's drawn like Penthouse!"

Last edited by Garada; January 24th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Bulleteer, Libery Belle, Uncle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi1hi1hi1hi1 View Post
BULLETEER
- She looks good, but 180 might be kind of cheap for a 5/5 and 7 life. Add in the auto shield and she looks way under-priced to me. I guess the closest comparison would be Q9 also at 180 and look at what you are getting with Bulleteer.

Q9 (4 Life/7 Def.) - Avgs. 2.33 shields per roll
Bulleteer (7 Life/5 Def. + Tough) - Avgs. 2.66 shields per roll

Now regardless of the flying and the base attack of 5, there is already a big advantage to Bulleteer, it will take a very long time to break through those 7 life. Even granted Q9's awesome special, she can still move much easier (single-spaced, +1 move, flying) and attack with a 5 opposed to Q9's 4. And Q9 is generally considered under-priced as well.

Bulleteer should be at least 230, IMHO. I think she could take Cap no question.
You make an excellent point with the Q9 analogy. I did look at him for a pricing idea. I know he's one of the more formidable units in HS, and I have a tendency to OVERprice, so I went a bit conservative with her. I am horrible at pricing, so I'll bump her up. Any other pricing suggestions out there, or does 230 sound good?

Quote:
LIBERTY BELLE
- I like her Let Freedom Ring ability a lot; very creative to have it never work again if you roll a 1!
- Again I think she is slightly too cheap, not as much as Bulleteer, but with a 50% chance of doing additional damage with her special, a base 5 attack, and 4 defense with stealth dodge, a jump of 10-20 would be good.
Rolling a one means that the Liberty Bell has CRACKED!
In the comics, her power was linked to the ringing of the actual Liberty Bell, so the louder and prouder it rings, the more powerful her attack was.
I will also give her a bump in price as you suggest.

Quote:
UNCLE SAM
- Great adaptation of Spartacus's Gladiator Inspiration.
- I think the point value is good, I would test out the stars ans stripes ability. Rolling every turn could get a little over-bearing.
- Also, can Uncle Sam really hit harder than Thanos? the Silver Surfer? Abomination?
Yeah, Gladiator Inspiration seemed like a perfect fit. As far as his hard hittin' nature, his power levels and size fluctuate based on the strength of the American Peoples belief in the ideals. By rolling the d20, Uncle Sam is feeling the pulse of the nation. I will however playtest it.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my stuff.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:18 PM
C3G Hero

Union Jack

Please welcome the newest member of The Valiants, UNION JACK!

Union Jack [aka Joseph Chapman] hails from Merry old England.
From his Wikipedia Entry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Like the two who held the title of Union Jack before him, Joey Chapman is an athlete in peak physical condition. In addition, his strength, speed, and endurance are enhanced by the Power of the Pendragon. He carries on the Union Jack tradition by using a Webley .455 revolver and a silver dagger which he uses for supernatural foes.
From his Marvel.com profile:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel.com
Currently, Union Jack works alone, though he makes himself available to the British Secret Service agency MI5 when needed, and is always willing to help friends and allies like Captain America.
I even went to the trouble of researching the number of rounds a Webley can hold... it is indeed 6.

I wanted to give him a GRENADE Special Attack, but I ran out of room on his Army Card, so I went with Counter Strike. The guy has all kinds of tricks up his sleeves, or rather in that big utility belt.

EDIT 02/07/09: Union Jack's NM24 Army Card:

Last edited by Garada; February 7th, 2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: updated Army Card
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
C3G Hero

Klarion The Witch Boy

I've been busy today!

Here is Klarion Bleak, better known as KLARION THE WITCH BOY. originally a Jack Kirby creation, I based my custom mainly on the version that appeared in the Batman - The Animated Series episode 'The Demon Within'. I already liked the character, and the miniature available from the HeroClix line is both cheap and very well sculpted, but ultimately my decision to create a Klarion custom is all thanks to Sherman Davies, who threw down the gauntlet in his custom thread when I dared to compliment his Etrigan The Demon and mentioned that Klarion would be a great complement to it.

This one's for you, Mr. Davies:

As always, please be tough in your scrutiny should you take the time to look at my cards.

Thanks;
-Garada

EDIT: Remade Army Card:

Last edited by Garada; March 22nd, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Garada's Customs -01/24- Bulleteer, Libery Belle, Uncle

Man, that Klarion's a creepy lookin' figure...

Anyway, glad to be of service, although I'm sure you would've designed a custom for him on your own at some point, anyway.

Klarion looks good (I especially like the unusual combination of base stats he has - his life, move, range, attack and defense are all different numbers, something you don't see much), but I don't think he's worth 160 points. He has limited, non-guaranteed bonding (that works on opposing figures, true, but only if they're Demons) and two special attacks, one of which has a drawback and is not particularly overpowered to begin with. I'd place him closer to 110-130 points.

Also, under the Demon Brand power, the words "currently on the board" are redundant. You're not pressed for space on the card, but if you were you could take those words out without any problem.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
C3G Hero

Klarion The Witch Boy Annotations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Man, that Klarion's a creepy lookin' figure...

Anyway, glad to be of service, although I'm sure you would've designed a custom for him on your own at some point, anyway.

Klarion looks good (I especially like the unusual combination of base stats he has - his life, move, range, attack and defense are all different numbers, something you don't see much), but I don't think he's worth 160 points. He has limited, non-guaranteed bonding (that works on opposing figures, true, but only if they're Demons) and two special attacks, one of which has a drawback and is not particularly overpowered to begin with. I'd place him closer to 110-130 points.

Also, under the Demon Brand power, the words "currently on the board" are redundant. You're not pressed for space on the card, but if you were you could take those words out without any problem.
Thanks for the feedback, glad you like him. In case you've never watched the BTAS episode I'm referring to, I will provide a few screenshots that describe my inspiration for this figure's powers and theme; so without further ado, I present to you:

The Ballad of KLARION THE WITCH BOY [aka 'The Demon Within' from The New Batman Adventures]

After losing in an auction to Bruce Wayne for a Dark Age artifact [a Demon Branding Iron alleged to have belonged to Morganne LeFey]

Klarion sends his cat familiar Teekl to steal the brand back!

Luckily for Bruce, they are in the apartment of Jason Blood, aka Etrigan the Demon!!! [cue spooky music and smoke]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Blood
Change! Change, O form of man!
Rise, the Demon Etrigan!!

They scuffle, but ultimately Teekl still gets away with the brand,

giving Klarion the opportunity to use its dark powers to do this:

Thereby making Etrigan his slave for a good portion of the episode.

My thought was that he should have about a 50/50 chance of controlling any Demon, since being in possession of the branding iron gives him that power. In the episode, it is not only used by Klarion to control Etrigan, Batman also uses it to tame Teekl:

Teekl herself is a vicious fighter, giving Etrigan a run for his money:

But once Teekl is out of the picture,

Batman shows Klarion up to be the creepy little freak he really is!

I made his base stats low, figuring that without Teekl, he is more vulnerable. In 'The Demon Within', when Teekl is defeated, Klarion is a weakling [or at least, he's just a little kid]... elsewhere in the episode, he is taken out with a sock to the jaw:
[see notation 1]

As for the ORBS OF DOOM...

In the last act of the episode, Klarion is shown throwing green orbs of energy, about a half dozen of them; one of them hits Batman, but doesn't keep him down for too long. I wanted to give Klarion a ranged attack, but not a fireball [like Etrigan], so this episode gave me the answer. At the end of the day, Klarion is a bit of a poser, stealing other peoples spells and artifacts to use dark powers whose true depth is still unrealized by him.

NOTATION 1:
In the episode, Klarion did this to Batman:

TURNING INTO A TREE!!!???
Oh, and he did this, too:

In my design notes for the HeroScape version of Klarion, I tried to make those powers a part of his card, but it made him too complicated, and the quirks of his Demon Brand and the death of Teekl make him weird enough, so I kept his third power basic.

To address Mr. Davies comments:

Well, if we make some more DEMONS, he might be worth 160! Until then, I'll go with your high estimate of 130.

re: Demon Brand, how would you word it? I will use that! I guess I was thinking that in the future, there may be a Demon who does not start in play [like the AE or Retchets], and I wanted to avoid any confusion.

EDIT:
I will be updating ALL of my cards late Sunday night [01/25], so any changes suggested on this thread will be implemented by then. Thanks for looking!

-Garada

Last edited by Garada; January 25th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM
C3G Hero

Garada Humor

Not sure where this belongs, but I posted it in the Custom Units & Army Cards Forum.

Enjoy!
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Garada's Customs -01/24 PM Union Jack, Klarion The Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garada
re: Demon Brand, how would you word it? I will use that! I guess I was thinking that in the future, there may be a Demon who does not start in play [like the AE or Retchets], and I wanted to avoid any confusion.
I would just word it "you may take a turn with any Demon." Even if there were future Demon cards that didn't start in play, why would anyone take a turn with figures not in play? I think you can safely take out the words "currently on the board" without any confusion.

Edit: Oh, I forgot - yes, I've seen that episode. I'm a huge fan of Batman: The Animated Series. I've got all four box sets on DVD and was really tempted to buy that new Complete Series set they did a couple months ago. Thankfully for my credit card, reason prevailed over emotion in this case.
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
C3G Hero

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of Batman: The Animated Series. I've got all four box sets on DVD and was really tempted to buy that new Complete Series set they did a couple months ago. Thankfully for my credit card, reason prevailed over emotion in this case.
You made the right decision, my friend. The DVDs in the set are EXACTLY the same as the ones in the 4 separate sets. The BONUS DISC contains a 25 minute feature cobbled together from 75% old interview clips. It is fluff. If you really MUST see it to complete yourself in some way, PM me.
The 'art book' is nice, but if you own the amazing BATMAN : ANIMATED book by Chip Kidd and Paul Dini, it offers very little new material.
The packaging is EXTREMELY beautiful, but if you already own the content, be aware that you are paying solely for a thin art book, a 'new' 25 minute feature and a fancy box. You've been warned!
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:56 PM
C3G Hero

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garada
I would just word it "you may take a turn with any Demon." Even if there were future Demon cards that didn't start in play, why would anyone take a turn with figures not in play? I think you can safely take out the words "currently on the board" without any confusion.
You are absolutely right. I will make this change tonight. check KLARION's Army Card by tomorrow morning for the updated version.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM
C3G Hero

UPDATED:

Klarion The Witch Boy - to match SD's suggested changes. Thanks!

Bulleteer & Liberty Belle- Prices raised to 230 and 140 respectively... thanks hi1hi1hi1hi1!

Queen Bee & HIVE Troopers - minor aesthetic changes.

Last edited by Garada; January 26th, 2009 at 12:48 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations