Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old December 11th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Boot Camp of Valhalla Head Quarter.

Gug is one of those minis that are always floating about. I found my copy in a Shattered Star brick, so it's not like it's thatdifficult to run into them.

I suppose the Gug Rule could be considered though, as there was some slight resistance to the Kobolds simply because they are smaller than small.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - Oct 20th 555/Bring 2
SW Ohio Tourney - Oct 27th TBD

Last edited by flameslayer93; December 11th, 2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Availability is a secondary number. There aint many deathcommander packs, but ppl still use the robots from it.
Old December 12th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like the proposed point. If no one oppose, we will use them the next time !
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Online HS Season 11, 13 & 14 Champion

kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
The Chief Instructor role is not to lead the development of the card, but to facilitate it. If the community is at a dead end (for instance, two different points of view arise), he is to find a way to solve it. The simplest way is to set up a vote, but it is up to the Chief Instructor to choose how he does that. In last resort, the Chief Instructor can make an arbitrary decision to help the custom advance further. Such a decision is to be clearly stated and followed by the community, but it would be best to never have to use this. For instance, I sometime demanded on the french forum that all member put their idea on a given point in a given format to make a summary of all the ideas and focus the discussion.
How many people in the french forum were typically involved? My growing concern is that there are more on this site than there, and we lack focus on the design.

I believe that the 'Chief Instructor' really be more than just a facilitator here. I would propose that a week or two is spent brainstorming idea and concepts from the whole community, and then the Chief Instructor select a team of 2-4 people to take everything into consideration and come to a decision regarding direction and the concept of the card. The entire time being transparent with the community and taking in new ideas and suggestions, but ultimately having the final say on design direction.

Otherwise I fear we are spinning our wheels and coming up with suboptimal customs.
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

For what it's worth, as a guy who has spent a long time on this website and in the customs workshopping community, I think kevindola is absolutely right. You guys desperately need some structure to get this to work right, in a way that is a service to the minis, and not a burden upon them.

To my eye, the best custom is one that is the perfect connection of mini-to-theme-to-mechanics, with no excess baggage. Focus like a laser.

I am skeptical that, in this format, such focus is possible.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:36 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
The Chief Instructor role is not to lead the development of the card, but to facilitate it. If the community is at a dead end (for instance, two different points of view arise), he is to find a way to solve it. The simplest way is to set up a vote, but it is up to the Chief Instructor to choose how he does that. In last resort, the Chief Instructor can make an arbitrary decision to help the custom advance further. Such a decision is to be clearly stated and followed by the community, but it would be best to never have to use this. For instance, I sometime demanded on the french forum that all member put their idea on a given point in a given format to make a summary of all the ideas and focus the discussion.
How many people in the french forum were typically involved? My growing concern is that there are more on this site than there, and we lack focus on the design.

I believe that the 'Chief Instructor' really be more than just a facilitator here. I would propose that a week or two is spent brainstorming idea and concepts from the whole community, and then the Chief Instructor select a team of 2-4 people to take everything into consideration and come to a decision regarding direction and the concept of the card. The entire time being transparent with the community and taking in new ideas and suggestions, but ultimately having the final say on design direction.

Otherwise I fear we are spinning our wheels and coming up with suboptimal customs.
+1

I'll take it a step further. If the design is rejected in its initial vote by the judges or by the C3V inner sanctum, you take it back to brainstorm, and assign a completely new team to work on it.

As it stands, you guys are having way too hard a time killing your darlings. (Hat tip to @Sir Dendrik for that phrase)
Old January 8th, 2015, 01:10 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP

+1

I'll take it a step further. If the design is rejected in its initial vote by the judges or by the C3V inner sanctum, you take it back to brainstorm, and assign a completely new team to work on it.

As it stands, you guys are having way too hard a time killing your darlings. (Hat tip to @Sir Dendrik for that phrase)
That might be taking it a step too far, dok. The bootcamps, while open to the community, has no solid group such as the C3V guys. We'd need to find a group of people (or even just a lone person) who would be willing to work on a project. The folks who've been more vocal in some parts remain pretty silent in others. I had no major part in designing the kobolds (having pretty much no knoweledge or interest in DnD) though I helped with the playtesting and gave my thoughts closer to the end. Finding volunteers was hard enough the first time around let alone seeking a new "team". I can understand the value of implementing a little bit more structure in the process as a whole however.

My customs.
Old January 8th, 2015, 01:12 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Judging by the number of people willing to chime in with their idea of how to fix a design, I think putting together a new triumvirate to work on a design would be easier than you might think.
Old January 8th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I could go

Quote:
Judging by the number of people willing to chime in with their idea of how to fix a design, I think putting together a new triumvirate to work on a design would be easier than you might think.
Perhaps. We'll see one way or the other, I suppose.

My customs.
Old January 8th, 2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
You will only see if you actually try to implement these or similar changes to the process.
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I could go

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
You will only see if you actually try to implement these or similar changes to the process.
Well, we can always try it. Johny was the "lead" of this project so it's probably up to him the most. I'm just the cook.

My customs.
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:10 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I personally don't feel the need to restrict the number of person having the power to choose. I agree with the base idea of kevindola saying that we should make sure that the project move (mostly) forward. I'm not sure whether we need strict time limits for brainstorming, for theme, and so on.
But we should probably make "steps". We already have some steps, like how we open the figure proposal, then vote to choose one, then process to make the custom.
But we should further cut the design process into steps. We would make a vote to move forward a step. Moving backward would also be possible, I guess, but only if we feel we hit a dead-end.

What do you think ?
Old January 9th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

While there are many issues with group design like this, I think that it is important to keep in mind what the project is in the first place. It was made as a way for the community to design something to go through SoV together, and while it may be more efficient to instead do it with a small elected group, restricting who can participate and how too much will run counter to this original goal. If this style of group design can only muster failures, then I'd say scrap the project and consider a new project with more elected and limited scope of group design.

[EDIT] My last line may not have been clear enough. I am not saying that we should scrap the project. I am saying that we should continue on keeping the original goals in mind where anyone can contribute ideas to the design and development of the unit. Now if the project is only putting forth failures after several attempts and it seems that the issue is intrinsic to there being not enough cohesive leadership or vision, then I would say scrap the project in lieu of something more elected and focused.

Last edited by Ixe; January 9th, 2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Clarifying my last line.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards