Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: what do you want?
more gladiators 71 50.00%
pirates 23 16.20%
both 40 28.17%
neither 8 5.63%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM

JANDAR88 has disabled reputation
Gladiators or Pirates?

There has been a lot of discussion in the Blackmoon's Seige thread about pirates and gladiators. So I wanted to know what everyone thought.

Do you want more gladiators?

Do you want pirates?

Do you want both?

Do you want neither?

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
Heroscape Wave 9 / Coming in July of 2009
(Everyone do this)
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Gladiators or Pirates?

Gladiatiors for me.

Pirates arent really all that cool to me. To me they are cowardly thieves. They prey on unarmed targets to steal, kill and rape them. There is nothing cool about historical pirates to me. They have about the same appeal to me as a squad of petty thieves who mug little old ladies.

I know there has been a series of movies that has made pirates look way cooler sezzy, but in reality that is far from the truth.

Granted gladiators are no angels either. I would imagine that the gladiator uprisings in Rome left a trail of death and destructin also. But here is the critical difference to me. Gladiators are actually TRAINED fighters. They had extensive and intense trainers to make them strong warriors. Which they needed if they had any hope to survive. Pirates on the otherhand...not so much.

I dont mean to offend with my opinions, but thats just my take on it.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I picked Gladiators because we already have some in the game. Spartacus has been asking for this for the last couple years.

"Come on guys. I'm totally worth it. Just wait until..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I picked Gladiators because we already have some in the game. Spartacus has been asking for this for the last couple years.

"Come on guys. I'm totally worth it. Just wait until..."
Yea, what he said.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM

marro_shaman has disabled reputation

Both!

Pirates are sweet as VILLAINS(Need to be Utgar or Einar). You could have a Jandar navy fleet counter them. You need villains in Heroscape as well as good guys.

Gladiators - Just watch Gladiator and you'll understand

marro_shaman is the storyteller in Utgar's Training Ground

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I voted both, but I hope Wave 9 gives us Gladiators. I can wait for Pirates, and I'm not sure they'll be a good fit into Heroscape, but I'm such a huge fan of the PotC movies that I hope they bring them in.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Primus Magicus *glass shatters*

Gladiators for sure. No pirates please.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Follower of Vydar Woo who?

I'd like to see both in the game. In the upcoming wave I think it will be pirates for the very reason that Toad Rocket mentioned. Gladiators were trained fighters while the title "brawlers" suggests undisciplined fighting.

Follower of Vydar
Aged Newbie
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Chardris is surprisingly tart

You know, both do have pretty bad backgrounds. Most pirates were beggars and theieves who usually got hanged. Gladiators were slaves that had to kill enough people to win the crowd and get their freedom granted. But I still prefer gladiators. Spartacus does need them, as everyone else will agree.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Bill Newby knows what's in an order marker Bill Newby knows what's in an order marker

Hmmm ... nobody's mentioned the possibility of captured pirates forced to fight as gladiators ...
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Both. More figures (of any kind) = more fun.

-insert signature here-
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

A gladiator squad first for the obvious reasons. I do want pirates though. If you can't see how'd they fit, I think you need to expand your imagination.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion