Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:32 PM

SoulfulKillingMachine has disabled reputation
I need some tips for my first custom.

I have thought about making custom Heroscape figures for a long time, but I don't know how. My first idea, or at least the first I have a perfect figure for, is a simple repaint of Dreamblade's Fleshless Reaper. Who could look at it and not think "Marro leader"? I have a few questions for all of you.

1. This figure is rare. Should I buy it from the main site, or consult a collectible store?

2. I can't find any information on the figure's height. The FAQ says its scale is 40mm. What is that, the diameter of the base? The height of a human? I can't even be sure if the particular figure I'm looking at is proportional to a Dreamblade human.

3. Following the previous question, I'm almost positive that the Reaper's tail will get in the way. It has a nice straight, segmented body that can be shortened, or even merged with another figure if I'm feeling ambitious, without looking fake. How should I cut that, and what can I use for a base?

4. Are there any online stores you'd recommend for paint, brushes, etc.? What's the bare minimum of supplies that I need?

5. Tell me more about color washing and drybrushing. I get the general idea, but I'd like to see a thread with step-by-step instructions.

6. Would this be a good time to tell you my custom's stats, or should I wait until I have a mockup of a card? In which case I will need a way to download fonts.
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Ted has disabled reputation
He would make a good leader for marro. I might get one myself and give it a try.

1. I would just look around do your research and find the best price possible. This should be done for any rare fig you are looking for.

2. Once you have the fig, just start stacking hexes until he can walk under it. whatever he can walk underhis hieght is one less. i.e. if he can walk under 6 but not 5 his height is 5.

3. if the tail is in the way just consider that into the placement of the figure. It is better to have the figure look its best then to cut it apart to fit on a single base.

4. Not sure what is around you but I buy my brushes and supplies from Joanns or A.C. moore. I use most games workshop paints but any acrylic will work.

5. I am not the best at these so someone else will have to instruct you here.

6. You can place your stats here anytime so that you get feedback so that when you go to make the card you will only have to do so once.

Best of luck with your project.
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Goblyn has disabled reputation
I have that figure, and he would work well as a marro if you re-paint and, possible, trim his beard off. I don;t think his tail will get in the way... DB bases are a little bigger than HS bases, but most figures can be transplanted to a HS base with little problem.
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Wow, what a stroke of luck! So he has a beard? It looked like a tongue in the picture... I think I can manage either way. When you say it fits on a Heroscape base, do you mean a single or double base? It's kind of important for his powers. So I guess now would be the time to discuss stats and cost.

Kra-Tok-Na
Utgar
Marro
Unique Hero
Hivelord
Tricky

Life=5 (big guy, can't imagine him having less)
Move=5 (perhaps 4 if I have to amputate)
Range=1
Attack=5 (gotta use that wicked scythe for something)
Defense=3 (vulnerable to avoid being overpowered)

DRONE ENHANCEMENT
All friendly drones adjacent to
Kra-Tok-Na add one die to their
attack and defense.
(the obvious team power)

HYPNOSIS
Before moving, you may choose a
figure within 5 clear sight spaces
of Kra-Tok-Na and roll a D20. If you
roll one-tenth that figure's point
value or higher, you may immediately
take a turn with that single figure
instead of Kra-Tok-Na. If the chosen
figure is a squad figure, add 1 to
your roll. If the chosen figure is
friendly, add 3 to your roll.
(Different odds for different targets make it balanced, and like Dund, he can escape if he fails)

ILLUSION 6
If Kra-Tok-Na is targeted for a
normal attack, roll a D20. If you
roll 6 or higher, he may trade
places with any adjacent single-base
figure except the attacking figure.
The chosen figure must roll defense
dice and take all wounds.
(This is why he needs to fit on a single base. Note the very thematic ability to turn enemies against each other, and sacrifice high-defense drones.)

No point cost has been established yet.
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Goblyn has disabled reputation
Yeah, he would fit on a single. I like the idea of rolling 1/10th of points, but that may be a little... i don;t know... math in heroscape just bugs me... I am probably alone here, though so I will shut up. Looks good so far!
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Ted has disabled reputation
I would turn his hypnosis into just a percent chance to do it. like maybe a 12 or higher might be a good idea. His defense is a little low for marro.

The rest looks good.
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Maybe he does have low defense, but so does SBN, and I really don't want to make him invincible. He already has a useful pseudo-defensive ability; should I add a life point instead? I'll consider it.

About the complexity of Hypnosis, I think it adds a strategic element that other temporary control powers lack. Normally, he has an 80% chance of controlling one viking warrior, but only a 15% chance of controlling Q9. Some figures are immune. Depending on the situation, it might not always be better to go after the strongest target.

So, the new stats would be 5l/5m/1r/5a/4d? Looks like he'll make a very, very expensive hero to draft.
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:31 PM

brickman1444 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulfulKillingMachine
Some figures are immune.
Yeah, cause everyone knows that Jotun's massive brain can deter hypnosis.

6 x 9 = 42

Old August 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Good point How does this sound?

HYPNOSIS
Before moving, you may choose a
figure within 5 clear sight spaces
of Kra-Tok-Na and roll a D20. If the
chosen figure is a Squad figure and
you roll 9 or higher, you may
immediately take a turn with that
single figure instead of Kra-Tok-Na.
If the chosen figure is a Hero, you
must roll 15 or higher. If the chosen
figure is friendly, add 3 to your roll.

Also, I'll add a line to Illusion: This does not count as a move. Very important for engagement and powers such as Cyberclaw.
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:20 AM

MegadeV knows what's in an order marker MegadeV knows what's in an order marker
Re: I need some tips for my first custom.

Quote:
5. Tell me more about color washing and drybrushing. I get the general idea, but I'd like to see a thread with step-by-step instructions.
This is Justjohn's tutorial, which covers the basics of washing and drybrushing very nicely.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=7335

9+ RotV - 7 SotM - 6 FotAk - 6 RttFF - 3 VW - 3 TT - 3 TJ - 1 Marvel - 3+ of each common - playing since Dec '05

Megadev's Repaints and Customs
BattletechScape
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Thank you for the repainting thread, that was very informative.

I made a rough draft (now with powers!) of the card, if anyone's interested. I think I'll have to start over to get it perfect.
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM

brickman1444 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Thank you for the repainting thread, that was very informative.

I started editing a card, if anyone's interested. I can't add text yet due to not having a font, and there are some flaws in the picture, but it should give you an idea of the colors I need.
<snip>
Looks great!

6 x 9 = 42

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards