Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old September 25th, 2016, 09:14 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Most disappointing rule in Heroscape?

I agree with Xorlof. Heroscape's streamlined and elegant design is what makes it appealing. As we like to say around here, it's a game, not a simulation. Players looking for crunchier miniatures games can always play Warhammer or Advanced Squad Leader or something of that ilk. I'll stick with Heroscape, thanks.
Old September 26th, 2016, 12:08 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, the lack of cover is undoubtedly the best part of HeroScape, @Lazy Orang 's least favourite rule is wrong

Also, swamp water has always felt wrong to me. I usually play at home so it takes two movement to move through it.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old September 26th, 2016, 02:45 AM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I'll stick with Heroscape, thanks.
its possible to stick with Heroscape but still be able to find small parts of the rules or system less than optimal. Its also an extremely easy game to add small house rules to, while still sticking with heroscape. Theres a world of difference between saying "make height advantage include the figures height" and "play Warhammer 40K instead" for example.

The original question is "most disappointing rule in Heroscape" not "whats wrong with Heroscape, and what other game can we play". If you like each and every single rule in Heroscape EXACTLY the same amount then I guess you have no "most disappointing rule", you should be happy then. Most people I would suggest, tend to like different aspects of things, even things they love, a different amount, and thinking of small ways you could envisage changes to something is usually a good sign that you are engaged with the thing, and care enough to be a bit creative with it. Its just a game, after all, I think it should be ok to "stick with it" without having to trot out some weird mantra that nothing in the game can possibly ever be criticized.
Old September 26th, 2016, 11:18 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Atlaga's
ULLAR'S BOLT OF THE WITHERWOOD. I know there is a lot of luck in 'Scape, but this . . . ! Ullar's Bolt of Ridiculous Luck I call it. I was pretty distraught when this came out. It has not helped that it has killed key figures in certain important games (chas' Custom General scenario comes to mind).

Old September 26th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

For those that don't like Lack of cover and Height Advantage as they are:

Partical Cover Rules

Height Advantage Determined by both Base and Height

I found both these rules make Heroscape a much more tactical game (not better, just different). All in all it remains fairly simple, but figure placement becomes hugely important and gives a boost to melee figures.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 26th, 2016, 08:44 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoxe1 View Post
Its just a game, after all, I think it should be ok to "stick with it" without having to trot out some weird mantra that nothing in the game can possibly ever be criticized.
Criticism of things is fine, but things should be criticized on their own terms. Heroscape is meant to be an accessible miniatures skirmish game, easy to learn and easy to play. It seems to me that the "disappointing rules" being discussed here are all rules that resulted from design decisions that aimed for that accessibility, so faulting those rules for doing exactly what they set out to do is poor criticism. It's like hating on Settlers of Catan because it has no combat or saying Moby Dick is a terrible novel because it's not very funny.
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Its just a game, after all, I think it should be ok to "stick with it" without having to trot out some weird mantra that nothing in the game can possibly ever be criticized.
Criticism of things is fine, but things should be criticized on their own terms. Heroscape is meant to be an accessible miniatures skirmish game, easy to learn and easy to play. It seems to me that the "disappointing rules" being discussed here are all rules that resulted from design decisions that aimed for that accessibility, so faulting those rules for doing exactly what they set out to do is poor criticism. It's like hating on Settlers of Catan because it has no combat or saying Moby Dick is a terrible novel because it's not very funny.
I found rules that blended risk and catan and It was a blast. The Animaniacs version of Moby Dick is a classic.

Humans re-mix and re-invent. Though i agree the "disappointing" word in the title sets a relatively negative tone. If the thread was called "Coolest Rule innovation" or "Heroscape Rule Remix" there would be a bit more love.

I just see some changes as an evolution. Like the Basic Game to the Advanced Version and then maybe a Master version. We can add Superhero scape, Grishnakh Scape, Starwars Scale and Arena of the Planes walker scape as similar changes to the core system. I have tried them all and don't see any one better than the others (except the basic game is dull) only different.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 27th, 2016, 02:05 AM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
I understand the point you're trying to make, I just dont think youre making it very well. How exactly would "height advantage means height advantage" be against the simple spirit of Heroscape rules? Saying a figure needs to be on a higher hex is of course simple but looking at their actual height including their own figure height isnt really any harder. And figures at range, you still need in the original rules to check the height of the hexes they stand on. It adds approximately one second to add those numbers to the height which is printed in a large number on the card.

But, regardless, the thread wasnt "house rules for Heroscape" or "things we should fix" its "most disappointing rule". I dont think Heroscapes rules are perfect, nor do I believe there couldnt be changes which were in line with the simple minis game ethos. I've presented one in this post, but at no point am I saying this should be brought into the official rule set, or adopted site wide by everyone. Its OK if you dont have any problem with any of the rules, but then theres no need for you to post in this thread, I would think.
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

The most disappointing rule to me was the rule to make packaging 2:1 unique to commons.
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:10 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Shooting a character in the hand equals certain and quite sudden death! I have always thought that rule funny, but it helps with keeping the game running along faster. Any time anyone says I can barely see his big toe through the legs of jotun and above that rock outcropping, I say. Go ahead and shoot him already. I wouldn't say its the most disappointing rule, as I'm not disappointed with really anything in this game. It is however the most funny one to me.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:43 AM

Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker

Just because you can only -see- the hand doesn't mean you can only shoot the hand. The hand sticking out just gives away that there's an enemy behind that rock/tree/ruin/wall/hill. You then arc your arrow over or use your high-tech laser bullets to pierce straight through.

The line of sight is only needed for the unit themselves to 'know' there's an enemy to shoot.

(that's my in-continuity reasoning at least)

The only Heroscaper in England.*
Prove me wrong.

*(Except for Lazy Orang)
Old September 27th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Common Squads.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's