Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old December 31st, 2010, 01:23 AM

lxnrhinners has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Partial Cover House Rules by Hextr1p

It seems like you can summarize the entirety of your rules with:
Quote:
When defending against a non-adjacent attack, if the Hit Zone of the defending figure is partially blocked by an object with a height of 2 or more when the attacker checks for Line of Sight, the defending figure may roll 2 additional defense dice.
Subtract 1 defense dice from this bonus for all that apply:
~ If the object is not higher that the height of the figure;
~ If the object is not adjacent to the figure;
~ If the figure is large or huge.
Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p View Post
Yeah, one of the factors I wanted to implement was that the figure had to be behind the terrain object. Makes more sense to me. Also, being able to use terrain objects as cover just adds so much more to the richness of the gaming experience, both in theme and in mechanic. As you mention, I want to rush behind a wall so as to actually somehow HIDE behind the wall in some way as the Krav Maga attempt to blast away at me from afar! Aside from height bonuses, the fact that I roll the same amount of defense partially hidden behind a ruin as I do out in the open just doesn't make much sense. *reapershrug*
HALLELUJAH!!! I've been thinking this since the day I got it. ("OOH, sweet, ruins to protect me!" [reads rules] "Oh... they just get in the way. Great. ")

Like everyone else here, I agree that (maybe with the above word modification ), these are very clean-cut, fitting, and easy to use. Meesa EXCITED to use them in my next game!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
Very interesting. You could expand it to incorporate obscuring figures - not just terrain, but intervening figures - without any change to the height-based formula.

Taelord obscured by Charos vs. Taelord obscured by an Omnicron Sniper, for instance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p View Post
I did actually strongly consider this, and am still toying with the thought of allowing huge figures to provide Partial Cover to small or medium ones. While I dig the concept of using figures as meat shields to help protect other ones, I'm almost wondering if that would just be TOO much. However know that I am still tossing this concept around, because it is a pretty cool idea.
If you do end up pursuing this idea, it seems like a missed attack would then affect the blocking figure (or one of the figures, if there are multiple blockers), regardless of being friendly or not. Basically, I'd interpret this as your bullet/arrow/missile/lightning bolt missing your target, but the shot went somewhere...
(^ This kind of ties in with my thread on missed attacks. *semi-shameless plug* )

~LX

~ If we knew the meaning of life, life would have no meaning. ~
Old May 30th, 2016, 05:29 PM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart
Re: Partial Cover House Rules by Hextr1p

Seems like it would be a lot easier just to add an extra defence dice if when you check the LOS the defending unit is obscured in any way (since you're saying theyd duck and use the cover). The cover terrain could be specified to only work if its equal to the height of the figure or add 2 defence dice if the terrain is taller than the figure. I wouldnt want to faff about any more than that, if at all,.
Old September 1st, 2016, 01:50 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

I like the idea of partial cover but I'm more on the side of K.I.S.S. If feel like adding any mechanics that you're measuring height against another thing and checking 3 times for L.O.S. Just makes things slower.

I already use a house rule that when checking for LOS that if all you can see is a hand or a foot then it isn't a valid shot. To make a ranges attack there has to be some visible torso. Or a greater portion of the figure to fire at. This actually adds some element of flanking even without adding any bonuses. However I believe that you could probably extend this idea to "soft" and "hard" hit zones. If all you can see of a figure is a "soft hit zone" then the defending figure gets +1 defense. If you see "hard hit zones" then not extra bones.
Old September 1st, 2016, 02:07 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoxe1 View Post
Seems like it would be a lot easier just to add an extra defence dice if when you check the LOS the defending unit is obscured in any way (since you're saying theyd duck and use the cover). The cover terrain could be specified to only work if its equal to the height of the figure or add 2 defence dice if the terrain is taller than the figure. I wouldnt want to faff about any more than that, if at all,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRolando View Post
I like the idea of partial cover but I'm more on the side of K.I.S.S. If feel like adding any mechanics that you're measuring height against another thing and checking 3 times for L.O.S. Just makes things slower.

I already use a house rule that when checking for LOS that if all you can see is a hand or a foot then it isn't a valid shot. To make a ranges attack there has to be some visible torso. Or a greater portion of the figure to fire at. This actually adds some element of flanking even without adding any bonuses. However I believe that you could probably extend this idea to "soft" and "hard" hit zones. If all you can see of a figure is a "soft hit zone" then the defending figure gets +1 defense. If you see "hard hit zones" then not extra bones.

Heroscape is a simple game with very simple rules. Both your suggestions are solid, but Giving different bonus' based on size and height adds another tactical level.

I have found these rules are really balances and only add a slight bit of complexity to an otherwise simple game. Compared to some games checking LOS and object height is nothing.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions