Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old May 26th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Stinger Denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I have been playing this game with friends and family since 2008 and competitively since 2009. I've been running tournaments, including some of the bigger local and national events anywhere, since 2010.

I have never, ever, seen this "Stinger Denial" bogeyman. Players of this game are not the type of people who do that to each other on purpose.
I came across it once.

Oddly enough that player though prolific in 'writing' on this site ended up getting banned for reasons that aren't too different than some of the reasons people don't like stinger denial.

Takes all kinds I suppose.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Last edited by wriggz; May 26th, 2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old May 26th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yes. You do know one such player, Wriggz, I am aware of that. He was not banned for being a prolific writer, he was banned for another reason, and I wasn't then and haven't been since sorry to see him go.

Of course, if I were to say that "I have never ever personally observed or encountered such a player, nor have I heard of a single one in the entire United States of America," you would concede that even *that* broad a statement would still be true. Assuming I hadn't heard of such an American player, which would, in fact, be the case.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 26th, 2016, 08:59 AM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Players of this game are not the type of people who do that to each other on purpose.

Well thats what I am saying, I would put myself in the EXTREME side of "have fun" spectrum if its opposite to the "CHEEZY GAMING COMPETITVE" side, but I dont agree that what you say is a fact, its just your opinion, and maybe its widely held but it doesnt make any sense to me, I Think its pretty cool that there could be Little wrinkles like that but it seems like this feature isnt costed into the units so i can see why some wouldnt like it, but if you are REALLY just playing for FUN why is it such a problem if someone laughs and says haha, you cant get near my stingers?

If anything your quote "not the type of people" sounds judgemental and makes it sound like you are taking the game a lot more seriously than the kind of people I can imagine being fun to play with

again, just my opinion man.

(what I'm saying is that complaints about stinger denial seems to be tied to "getting an advantage" which is related to competitive play, which I equate to taking it more seriously than just having fun. I know the guys I will play this with would not take it seriously, would not have a fit if someone pulled this trick, and it would be fun to try to see it in action. I wouldnt find it weird, or against any spirit nor would I try to make any ridiculous sweeping generalizations about "the kind of people they are"). I Think the ones complaining about this are the ones taking it a lot more seriously and competitively than anyone I know).
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

In my opinion, based on my experience directing dozens of tournaments, observing hundreds of players, and playing zillions of games, the people who play this game are not the type of people who would deliberately "Stinger Deny" each other. I arrive at that conclusion by inductive reasoning, and not deductive reasoning - 2,500 dogs in a row have fur; I inductively reason that #2,501 will, as well - but you are correct. It is my opinion.

I wonder if you misunderstood my post, though, because what I'm saying is that Heroscape players are a pretty relaxed bunch who *don't* do that to each other. If that makes me "judgmental," so be it. I guess.

edit: Nine years later, people still arguing in this thread. Maybe it's something in the water. This thread is so old that has 11 posts in it. Now *that's* an old thread.

= =
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:18 AM

but you are all just assuming that people doing that to each other have only one possible motivation, to bend the rules in some kind of obsessive desire to win, and thats way too serious.

What I'm saying is that when I first saw this, I immediately thought it was hilarious, and could directly imagine my mates lauging their **** off while poking stingers at my Knights of Weston and keeping them from getting adjacent. There would be absolutely nothing but fun involved in that scenario, and we would all be "relaxed".

I'd rather sit and get annihilated by stingers in this way with my mates taking the **** out of me constantly than have to sit and endure sitting across from this kind of thing, for example

that probably makes me judgemental as well, but i'm not feeling the spirit of "fun" in that video
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

I'm not assuming anything, or judging anything. You're reading a lot of stuff into the few words I posted. You should play how you want, and enjoy.

There are lots of videos of Heroscape games on YouTube. I haven't watched the one you just shared, because it appears to be almost 90 minutes long, but I'll assume it was a tense game. Eh, it happens sometimes. I was at that tournament, it was relaxed and fun, just like the rest of them. Playing in a championship game, though, can be tough on the nerves. I remember being pretty tense when I played in the championship game in the Lightweight event against @Unseen Shadowz a couple years ago, and I don't think of myself as normally a tense guy. IIRC, I snapped at one of his cousins, who was hovering over my shoulder. I'm not proud of that, but it happens.

= =
Old May 26th, 2016, 11:11 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Of course, if I were to say that "I have never ever personally observed or encountered such a player, nor have I heard of a single one in the entire United States of America," you would concede that even *that* broad a statement would still be true. Assuming I hadn't heard of such an American player, which would, in fact, be the case.
There was an incident at Gencon, in 2007 I believe, where someone used stinger denial. (Or, more accurately, tried to use, but was stymied by a player who just kept trying to fit a figure in the space until he managed to do it without moving the stinger.) So it's happened. Once, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoxe1 View Post
I'd rather sit and get annihilated by stingers in this way with my mates taking the **** out of me constantly than have to sit and endure sitting across from this kind of thing, for example

<2014 main event finals>

that probably makes me judgemental as well, but i'm not feeling the spirit of "fun" in that video
Maybe a tad judgemental. I don't think it was the most fun game for Matthias, playing an army he would never normally choose and sitting back in his startzone for nearly the entire game. But be careful not to paint with too broad of a brush - I've played against both of those players multiple times and find them both to be gracious opponents, if highly competitive. (But I like it when my opponents are competitive, so that's two good things.)

Quote:
I remember being pretty tense when I played in the championship game in the Lightweight event against @Unseen Shadowz a couple years ago, and I don't think of myself as normally a tense guy. IIRC, I snapped at one of his cousins, who was hovering over my shoulder. I'm not proud of that, but it happens.
None of us deserve to be judged by how we behave in one tense moment. The important thing is to learn from the experience.

I'm still troubled by the placement call I made in the 2011 main event finals, which I justified at the time because literally the exact same placement call had been critical in giving me a loss the day before, when armies were reversed. After going back and forth on the issue a couple times, I eventually decided a couple years ago that I would never make that specific call again.
Old May 26th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Well, perhaps next year we should have a special occasion - Stinger-themed dice? - to mark the tenth anniversary of the single known incident of (failed) Stinger Denial.

= =
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:09 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Its like we are getting the band back together and everyone is showing up, this is great!!!!

On a lighter note, I have the dice for Gencon in hand and ready to be painted....

Old May 26th, 2016, 02:04 PM

its good to hear different perspectives, no offence was intended even if it sounded like I was arguing. In honour of this thread I just ordered some more Stingers just in case
Old May 26th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree with most of what you've said, ekoxe1. Stinger Denial is legal and the only reason it blew up into such a s***storm in the first place is that Stingers are pretty much the only squad that can do it. You don't see anyone complaining about the Dragons, or Ogre Bully (or whatever his name is) because they're single figures, but when you have a crapload of Stingers that are suddenly denying a bunch of spaces on the board, people start to go ballistic.

The other reason it's a hot topic is that I doubt the developers took it into account when pricing the unit or considering the sculpt. But hey, they did go with those sculpts and now we have what we have. I can see both sides, but I tend to side with the pro Stinger Denial camp just cuz the other side seems so whiny, complaining that the pro SD's are being too competitive. If you're complaining that they're being competitive, then you're being just as competitive, but in an opposite way...

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old May 26th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

That is why I would simply concede. If that is what you must do to win then, grats you just won. No complaints, no whining, just one person sitting alone with their victory.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles