Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old February 12th, 2013, 12:29 AM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: How to Host Your First Heroscape Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
2) Does the $5 turn anybody off that you're aware of? I live in a college town and if I were to strive to keep it VERY local, hosting it here, a certain percentage of players will be possibly cash-strapped college students. Have you experimented with an optional fee, but no-prize-for-you-if-you-don't-pay-it option?
D_S has already answered this, but I'll add my perspective as well. We do a lot of our events in local shops, because we happen to be lucky enough to live in an area with a pretty spectacular gaming environment. I've been to the events in Baltimore and love the venues there. We've had events in NJ and in various parts of southeastern PA, and almost all of them were great, with the sole exception of one place with a great play space but terrible, terrible parking. And I think the consensus among most of us is that we want to give back to the shop so that we are going to continue to be welcomed. I run almost all of my events at an amazing shop in West Chester, PA, called the Games Keep, and I want to make sure that if the owner is providing table space for us on a regular basis that we're helping his business, because that will make sure that he's still there the next time we want to play and that he will be willing to have us come and play. So we do the same model, a $5 fee that goes entirely to gift certificates for the winners. That usually works out to somewhere between $60 and $100 for the store, which isn't a lot of cash but it's something. That's just my take, and if you're not playing in a shop, then that certainly factors into your equation.
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Any suggestions for Swiss if you have an odd number of players?

I'm running my upcoming tourney with a friend, so I think what we'll do is if there are an odd number of players, we'll switch off playing the same army, and if we happen to win, split our winnings. If it's an even number, I think we'll both play.
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'm glad you asked, that's something I meant to cover but didn't.

Here's how I do byes:

A bye is worth a full point. So your final record, if you went 1-3 with a bye, is 2-3.

But it also gets you zero points for the purpose of partial card scoring.

The free win is a big boon, so I always try to keep them spread among those who are *ahem* not likely going to end up in the winner's circle.

Also there are often going to be volunteers for byes, those volunteers being dads attending tournaments with their kids. Sometimes you have no volunteers, so you pick someone who isn't doing too well and just assign it. I've never had someone struggle with getting the bye. And it didn't bother me too much when I got one; I was 1-2 and had it coming.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Also, usually the one that is in last place will get the bye.
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Right. Either (1) a volunteer who is near the bottom or (2) last place. In that order.

Thanks, MS.

This, by the way, is another advantage of the multiplayer ffa format I love so much. Never a bye!

= =
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Right. Either (1) a volunteer who is near the bottom or (2) last place. In that order.

Thanks, MS.

This, by the way, is another advantage of the multiplayer ffa format I love so much. Never a bye!
Only on the first round, when everyone is equal, would a volunteer or random person be selected, usually. But D_S is still right.
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:58 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

This was the best place I could find to ask this, besides making a new thread.

How does everyone feel about having events at people's homes?
I know many people feel public places are ideal due to the supposed weird factor of going to a strangers house (or for the host inviting strangers) as well as generally having more space. But assuming the host is a respected heroscaper and has a large enough place and tables to support up to 16 people, how would people feel about attending a tourney or event at someone's house? This is especially asked of people who would be doing their first tourney or event outside of home with their family and IRL friends, as well as those with young children.

I have done before and am thinking of doing again, but as the OP of this thread says the goal is to get the most attendees, so am still debating. This has several advantages both as a host and for attendees, below.
  • Host can set up maps and tables in advances at a leisurely pace, as well as postpone cleanup till afterwards.
  • Host and attendees can invite friends who usually are casual gamers more easily to mix with Heroscapers users and those used to game tourneys and large events.
  • You can have more food and drinks. do a cookout or potluck, and I have even seen others host events with BYOB (usually adult only events). I wouldn't do it, but it is an option.
  • No cost to attendees or inconvenience to owner/manager. (Only inconvenience to host and household )
  • IMHO, more relaxed atmosphere. Feels more like a "casual game" than at FLGS or event hall, even if strict tourney.
So, would you attend a home event or consider/reccomend hosting one.
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:08 AM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
So, would you attend a home event or consider/recommend hosting one?
Yes. GrayLASQ and GuyGG hosted Heroscape events in their home and had many attendants! It was always a great time, and as you say, very relaxed and welcoming.

Space is really the biggest factor in making these events a success, but holding them consistently, even if initial attendance is lower than desired helps build a robust group over time. Pictures of past events creates a sort of advertisement that demonstrates your reliability as a host and hosting venue.
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:45 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Dignan hosts an annual BBQ + Tournament in his backyard.

I've also found churches to be good places for hosting tournaments. I've hosted at least three events (at least two were private) in the Fellowship Hall / Rec Room of a church I used to attend. I didn't have to worry about paying anything, there was a kitchen adjacent if I needed to keep pizza hot or drinks cold. I just had to return everything to its original place when I was done.

I've hosted one or two private events in multipurpose rooms at the nearby campus as well. I got to use them for free since I'm a student.

-----

Xorlof, you might consider putting fliers up in dorm lobbies and mail rooms around campus. Include some pictures and maybe list a time 45 minutes before the tourney's start time where new players could learn the game, then have some pre-built armies laid out for people to use who don't have their own collections.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

I've hosted a small tournament at my house. Why not? I wanted it to be small, I wanted it to be invitation-only, so there was room.

If it would work for you, for whatever reason, go for it!

Like I said, the advantages in having it at a shop are (1) space and (2) prize support. It may be a good central location, too.

On the other hand, advantages to your house are (1) convenience, (2) food and parking, and (3) friends are familiar with the location.

So go for it, if that's what's right for you & your anticipated attendees.

= =
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:51 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

In all honesty I haven't actually played heroscape in a little over a year, but I still have my whole collection. What's really great about this thread is I was thinking of hosting a tournament. If I can get my parents approval. Unfortunately, despite being 19 I cannot drive and do not have my own car so I still rely on my parents for such things, its a pain. As I was think of hosting the tournament it occured to me that I had no idea how to go about doing it. I was about to ask one of the TD's to co-TD with me so I could learn how and then I saw this thread. It's been a huge help. Thanks Dad-scaper.

I still wouldn't mind co-TDing with one of the local TD's. I live around Germantown MD, and I know a good shop to host a tournament. It's called Novel Places. I believe it is in lower Germantown, but I'll have to get back to you on that. I know the store owner, Patrick, personally, and also a Magic TD, Don, who may be able to help us with advertising and store space. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

In progress fan fic; Kaia Vendetta

Slink's story can be found here.
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Great! Germantown is actually a pretty good location for some of the mid Atlantic Scapers. Post in the MARS thread looking for interest. It looks like you're thinking about the right things.

If you decide to go for it, definitely check the MARS thread and make sure the date works.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events