Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old July 1st, 2017, 08:33 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Workshop Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I'll start this off:

Chaos build instructions. It uses 1 SotM, 1 BftU, and 1 VW with 2 random glyphs.

I'm just curious what your concerns with this map were, as it didn't make the top 10. I think it has some definite potential for a tournament map.
This map really got me thinking about things and I really appreciate @superfrog for submitting it and getting the ball rolling. After some play tests though, I decided to give it a vote. The main reason was for the clear advantage of ranged armies.

Using the hive and stalagmite terrain created a really fun barrier in the center of the map. However, it also has some really low points that were great view points for ranged figures. In one play test two Ashigaru Harquebus were able to hold an entire army at bay for multiple rounds. Then later in the game, my opponent was able to seal the entire game by running and gunning with Guilty. There was no way to close and finish him off because he could use those windows in the LoS blocker and stay away.

It is fun for filler units to shine like this, but melee had zero chance to win those games. When I was dominating with the Harqs my opponent even had the defense glyph and I was still destroying them.

We also discussed how devastating dragon could be on this map. with the ability to use range and fly they could close the gap quickly, shoot, and then jump to the other side of the Hive LoS blocker while melee armies would be forced to run all the way around while be shot at the whole time.

Don't give up though. With some modification I still think this map can get there. Thanks again for getting this thread started.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 03:41 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post

@Leaf_It , I couldn't find any major flaws in this map from my first look at it. After the first play test I still couldn't see a lot of problems with it. The road allows melee figures to close quickly with ranged figures trying to pod on height, so that was a major bonus to this map.

With that play test, I started to become concerned that the map was too small. A lot of the maps we have seen lately have been really large. So much so that armies are forced to spend multiple turn markers just moving closer to each other. This map however is the opposite of the that problem. The elevation changes can help balance that a lot unless a figure has flying. So, the next concern was that turn one a dragon was most likely to get a shot off on turn one.

Sir Heroscape and I purposely set up a game to try and break this setup. Nilf and Greenscales faced off against some slow moving knights. Using some tricks with Raelin and Eldgrim, That strategy was easily counter-able. My concerns were quickly resolved and with some other play tests, I feel very confident giving A Couple Puddles a vote for tournament readiness.

I really like this map a lot actually and did not get bored playing on it multiple times. Nice job Leaf!
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hello judges!

After thinking over your initial comments on my maps, I decided to go back and make slight alterations to them. As such, I'd like them to be reviewed in the Workshop Thread.

Everglades and Evergreens

The only change I made with this map was readjusting the sandy area by the Initiative glyph. Before, having one figure on the glyph and one between the glyph and the tree made it impossible for a double-spaced figure to engage the figure on the glyph. It should now be much easier to do so. Additionally, one happy accident of the first change is that it is slightly easier to climb over the wall when coming out from the start zone. In the earlier edition, the hexes by the center of the wall were Level 0, which made it harder for figures to climb over (or impossible for figures with height of 4 or less). I think this is a bit better.

Marshall Law

For this one, I changed the water on the side of the Wound glyph to make it more accessible to double-spaced figures who are trying to engage the figure on the glyph. On the other side of the map, I changed the configuration by the seven-hex swamp piece so it is a little easier to get figures out of the start zone on that side. I also readjusted some of the battlements near the middle sandy portion. This was partially for aesthetic reasons, but I think it also opens up the middle of the map a bit.

I think both maps are at least slightly improved from their previous versions. I look forward to hearing any initial thoughts you may have, as well as your reviews later on down the road.
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I'm happy with the changes:
Marshall Law
Evergreens and Everglades

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old July 6th, 2017, 01:08 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I like them. to Marshall Law and Evergreens and Everglades.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old July 11th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I forgot to announce...
the map Chaos by Superfrog has received 2 down votes and is removed from the review/playtesting list.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old July 11th, 2017, 01:50 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The subtle changes on on Everglades and Evergreens and Martial law seem to improve the map for balance reasons. Here's my

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 11th, 2017, 06:41 PM

Marshall Law and Evergreens and Everglades by Rednax will be playtested/reviewed for tournament worthiness.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thank you, judges! I look forward to your comments!

(And by the way, the names are Marshall Law and Everglades and Evergreens. I know that the former is normally spelled "martial law," but it's supposed to be a pun on the word "marsh." Regarding the latter, there's no particular reason I put "everglades" first, but I'd prefer it kept that way for consistency's sake. Thank you for tolerating my nitpicking. )
Old July 19th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Everglades and Evergreens by @rednax

I really like maps that keep things simple, and requiring only 1 SotM and 1 RttFF, Everglades and Evergreens does just that. It's a decent size, quick to begin the action, and looks neat on the table (or ground, as is the case for me currently). But does it have what it takes to stand among other maps on a competitive level? Let's find out.

The first thing I notice about the map is the pathing. It's open, with two separate roads leading from Start Zone to Start Zone. The main hill is also fairly open and easy to climb. Probably the slowest route you can take is the outer edge on the Dagmar side, but even that's not a terrible deal. There was a concern that the bathing was too fluid and that an army would be on top of it's enemies too quickly, but I found in my testing that there is plenty of time for counter maneuvers and response to threats. Overall, the pathing is probably my favorite part of the map, which is a big win for me.

My biggest concern with the map was the main hill. I was concerned that if an army took the hill, it would be too easy to just steamroll the rest of the game with little to no resistance from the opponent's army. I found, however, that because the hill is so powerful, most armies send plenty of troops that way and are able to contest it well. Not that it's the only point of action, as taking the Wannok glyph on the other end of the map and sending troops around the Hive and 4-hex tree to flank are very relevant tactics. The hill definitely is the focal point of the map and is where the most blood will be shed, but in such a way that it makes the rest of the map stand out as well as you consider how to use the whole map to gain advantage over the hill. It makes for great strategic choices and swings in the game as you go from skirmishing on the hill to the flanks to making a feint at the opponent to try to get back on the hill. Even armies that usually dominate the board control game (namely Rats with Range and 'Tron armies) had to think about where to send troops to keep the opponent from sneaking past the front line to get to the squishies in the back.

In the end, the map doesn't support steamrolling as much as I feared it would, and there are many tactical choices to be made throughout the game. The glyphs are placed well, and I really like the choices in accordance to their positions on the map. It's admittedly small, but there's enough to it to keep armies moving. My only nitpick with the map is that ranged armies can usually pick off figures sitting on glyphs without leaving their start zone, but that factor simply changed the other army's strategy and it didn't feel like a total detriment.

The first time I played on this map, I kept pausing the game just to tell True that, "Man, I really like this map." And the changes have only made it better. I vote to inducting Everglades and Evergreens into the ARV map... pool... thingy... Hall of Fame?... Did we ever make an official name for this? I consider it tournament-worthy and competitive, so whatever that means.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:34 AM

Everglades and Evergreens by @rednax
I started out really skeptical about this map, because of how quickly units can get to height and some units even can attack their opponent's start zone turn one, BUT it turns out I really enjoyed this map! Even though it's a bloodbath on the hill going through round one, there is plenty of space for maneuverability and both armies can contest strategic positions. I felt this map was really balanced, giving each army an opportunity to grab and contest the height. The glyphs also work well here because neither activates until the end of round one which really pulls the armies to develop and fight over positioning on the map instead of just glyph grabbing. The whole map gets used, and things are really fun on this map. for me!

Marshall Law by @rednax
I've played on this one a lot. My original concerns were the glyph placement but since that's been changed I have no issues with this map it's very balanced has a lot of fun play on it. The road makes things really fast and interesting, and the jungle helps the Melee armies get across to any units shooting down into the startzone. My initial concerns on this one are armies pot-shotting down to the other side but it has such a quick development and road maneuverability units can move around this map relatively quickly. Fun map, and for me!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old August 9th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I previously posted a modification of All Your Pie's map Platinum River here, but it's more appropriate to put in my own map thread.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...&postcount=286

Last edited by Robber; August 9th, 2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Moved to my personal map thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla