Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:10 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Workshop Thread

Ruined City by @Leaf It

Ruined City is a really compact map, which is to be expected of a map that uses only two Marvel sets (master sets barely bigger than an expansion) and a Fortress set. The road makes getting from place to place even faster (when you need to -- it's small enough that it's usually just used for engaging figures on a hill on the other side of the map) and on the whole the map makes for quick and dirty action. The map does use warehouse and fortress pieces to cut down on the power of ranged figures, and the small footprint also helps to keep them from kiting to the Forgotten Forest and back.

The main focal points on the map are the four hills in the center. Battles usually revolve around battling for control of these hills, and an army that successfully entrenches on even one of them can be difficult to remove. The map does allow players to play against that possibility with how easily armies can counterattack with the road and small size of the map, and when really needed figures can skirt the edges of the map in order to get into a better position to attack a hill. For such a small map, I always felt like there was an option for me, and smart play and use of the map's features allowed for some comebacks from unlikely situations.

All in all, Ruined City makes for quick, fun games, while still allowing for many strategic decisions despite its small size.

I vote to induct Ruined City into ARV competitive map hall of fame.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old February 9th, 2019, 11:42 AM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Valledon Fortress by @antmarchingroves

Here was my initial summary from the ARV Landmarks of Valhalla contest:

I like the concept, I like the look, it is unique, the map played well, and my initial concerns were overcome. I do believe that the map could be improved with a few tweaks, perhaps making this map very, very good, but not enough to sway my opinion. As is, the map is well-done and could be included in tournament settings.

I voted a thumbs up for this map then, and I vote again as tournament worthy, but with a higher recommendation. After building the revised Valledon Fortress and giving it a few tests (the battles were entertaining and balanced), my areas of concern with the first rendition were more than addressed – getting out of the start zone is easier and the narrow path between the wall and glacier is two hexes wide now. The other changes that were made have improved the map a great deal as well. The two powerful glyphs on the map are balanced and side to side pathing is quick on the road. There are still plenty of LoS blockers and the addition of height around the castle arch has created a new area of contention. Again, I really like the uniqueness and creative design of this map. Well done Antmarchingoves!

Last edited by Nomad; February 10th, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Forgotten Forest Road by @JaesShurrig

Grab that Valda glyph and your skeletons can move 9 spaces on the road! Quick hitting and faced paced, Forgotten Forest Road features a lengthy road, start zone through start zone. Initial strategy is to go after that powerful Valda glyph. Once captured, speed your army along the road and bring in back-ups. Attacks usually start on the second marker of round one even though the map is long. Towards mid to late game, the forces seem to contend around the rocky height adjacent to the road. At least this is what I experienced in the five battles while testing the map. At first, I felt the Valda glyph was too powerful, but after a few matches I concluded that Valda is just what the map needed to be successful. The map is solid to play on with adequate coverage. Pods are easily engaged due to the quickness of the map. Hanging on to either glyph is tough. Although not the most aesthetically pleasing of maps, I was pleasantly surprised by the fun and strategic play Forgotten Forest Road offered. It is a different type of map for tournament play . . . get your motors running and head out on the highway. I vote to include Forgotten Forest Road in the ARV canon of map.

Last edited by Nomad; February 10th, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old February 10th, 2019, 11:25 AM

Ruined City by @Leaf_It

After three playtests on the original version of Ruined City and four on the revised Ruined City, I am not sure which version I prefer. There are some drawbacks to the map. Some areas do not see much action – right in front of the warehouse ruins and off to the sides where the treasure glyphs are located (I would probably exchange power glyphs for the treasures in tournament play, or two decent treasure glyphs such as Heroic Rune and Talisman of Defense to encourage figures to go to the sides). Nearly all the action takes place on the four hills in the center of the map. The four-height single hexes are the strongest points on the map and can be dominating, especially with a strong screen and powerful range. All that being said, the map was very entertaining for both armies. The play is fast, and the attacks are non-stop. There is plenty of screen with the castle walls to flank an opponent on a hill if needed. Hill jumping is easy if there is an open hex, drop down to the road and climb back up the adjacent hill with ease. Ruined City is the most balanced map I have come across that uses two Marvel sets. Bottom line – this map is fun. I vote to include Ruin City as tournament worthy.
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:17 PM

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

My concerns with the original version of Valledon Fortress had to do with the yours/mine height in the snow area of the map, and the chokepoints surrounding it. The area was the strongest part of the map and the focus of every battle.

This new version is much more open in the right spots, while still retaining the excellent Line of Sight blocking available to it with the castle pillars. It still has zones for armies to fight over, but they work together much more now as they feed into each other. Figures are also able to move around the map more easily, and the pathing of the map as a whole flows really well. Each game I played on it had a lot of back and forth as figures used the whole map to their advantage, and it made for great gameplay.

All the while, Valledon Fortress 2.0 keeps all the strengths it had. Great aesthetics and theme, and great use of terrain and height. The glyph location are still strong, and the preset glyph choice makes the battle over them even more interesting -- they're well-chosen and impact the battle without dominating it.

I will nitpick the start zones, because they're not super intuitive and don't have a visual cue to know where they are. Happily, that is just that: a nitpick.

I vote to accept Valledon Fortress.

10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 7th, 2019, 02:19 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

The original version I gave an and here was my review...
Quote:
I do agree there are a couple choke points, but I'm not seeing them as overly imbalanced. I like how there are multiple ways to route an opponent by running around walls or ice and the road makes lateral movement very easy. I kinda wish there were a little more height spattered throughout, as it seems a little flat, but there's enough that those positions become very heavily contested and really draw in the conflict. I think development out of the startzone was smooth and natural and I think there are good angles that can be used to hide behind castle to leap on range figures trying to camp. I don't see any major issues with it at the moment, and I think it's worthy of a spot in our selection. It was a fun map to play on.
Valledonn 2.0 does a great job of improving upon the last version and making this map even more fun and exciting to play. I was happy with it before, and after playing on this version, I'm even more happy with the way it plays. The whole map gets used and I love the different routes you can take to get at an opponent. I happily vote

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 7th, 2019, 03:42 PM

antmarchingroves knows what's in an order marker antmarchingroves knows what's in an order marker

Thanks again for taking the time to review/playtest Valledonn Fortress a second time. I'm happy to hear the latest version be accepted into the ARV collection of maps!

Antmarchingroves'
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:17 PM

Congrats @antmarchingroves !! It's a great map!

10 Points Under Videos

Old March 9th, 2019, 04:48 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

From @TREX
Quote:
I got to play a handful of games on Ruined City with my Brother. We both thought the map was well balanced and fun to play on. Not only is it an ingenious idea to be able to use a combination of terrain that I don't think I've seen before in a competitive map but mad the most of it. There wasn't any wasted space on this map. The battle raged on quickly in every part of it.The ruins and castle pieces are great LOS blockers to hide and advance behind for melee. There are also plenty of options and pathways to your opponent. The road tiles are very nice but not always they direction you'll want to take. Overall, Ruined City is a fun, flexible map, that is very nice to play on, and a great addition to the ARV Maps. I vote to induct Ruined City into the ARV archives. Great work on the Changes @Leaf_It .

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 16th, 2019, 08:52 PM

It’s been too long since we decided on Halcyon. I’m going to give it a to review for now. I really like the aesthetics and even the play on it when it was originally submitted, and while adding more power Glyphs helps, I’d like to see a few more adjustments before reviewing it. I don’t think it needs a rehaul, but a few adjustments to the center may be good to help melee not get shot like fish in a barrel on their way in.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 16th, 2019, 10:36 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm going to second Sir H here on Halcyon and vote . The map design is creative - it's a very unique way to use the terrain. LOS blockers seem to be used pretty well. However, it feels problematic with all the level 0 terrain in the middle of the board - especially with Wannok in the middle. I don't think the map needs an extensive overhaul, but I am worried about the placement of Wannok and the abundance of level 0 terrain in the middle - it feels like a death trap for melee units.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old March 28th, 2019, 06:06 PM

Forgotten Forest Road by @JaesShurrig

Maps that feature big highways running through them are a Heroscape classic, and this map looks to use that feature to create a unique and fun map. The highway goes to one side of the map, rather than through the middle, to help balance the quick movement it will give to a lot of figures. It also has a glyph to help draw attention to its lower areas, while the defense glyph on the other side of the map looks to even out the attention and draw figures to all parts of the map.

Forgotten Forest Road is noticeably narrow, and narrow maps tend to struggle in the competitive arena. One reason for this struggle is a lack of strategic options, as there are only so many paths for figures to take and games tend to play out the same way. FFR tries to combat this with the highway allowing for a fast play across the map while the defense glyph offers a slower route, but still rewarding, route. The problem with the defense glyph, though, is that it's possibly too rewarding. The boost it gives to a large army is huge, and I always found action deviating that way. Taking the road could help get to an opponent, but if that opponent already had Gerda and figures were stringing themselves across the road, it was so much the better for the army going defensive.

Another problem narrow maps face is the power of Raelin, and Forgotten Forest Road is, unfortunately, no different, as Raelin can cover huge swaths of the map easily, including the defense glyph and pathways around it. This, coupled with the third problem of narrow maps -- grindy games when large armies are involved where figures just get stuck in the middle and roll dice -- really put the nail in the coffin for me. Armies with strong front line squads backed by Raelin (Rats, Knights, 'Trons, Heavy Gruts, etc.) dominated this map, and those armies with range podges behind them (Rats Raelin Range, 'Trons) were especially dominating.

Forgotten Forest Road makes a good attempt at this style of map, and I did enjoy the impact that the highway had in theory. I do think it could work out with some strong revision, but as-is it suffers from linear gameplay, encourages Raelin, and strengthens turtles too much for my taste, rather than encouraging a variety of strategies and armies.

I vote to induce Forgotten Forest Road.

10 Points Under Videos

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla